setsockopt SO_REUSEADDR question - Unix

This is a discussion on setsockopt SO_REUSEADDR question - Unix ; Hi I've noticed that if I create a TCP listening socket, using setsocktopt() with the SO_REUSEADDR option set it only seems to work if its done before bind() is called. Is this normal behaviour? Does it apply to all setsockopt() ...

  1. setsockopt SO_REUSEADDR question

    Hi

    I've noticed that if I create a TCP listening socket, using
    setsocktopt() with the SO_REUSEADDR option set it only seems to work
    if its done before bind() is called. Is this normal behaviour? Does it
    apply to all setsockopt() options or just this one?

    Thanks for any help

    B2003

  2. Re: setsockopt SO_REUSEADDR question

    "Boltar" wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > I've noticed that if I create a TCP listening socket, using
    > setsocktopt() with the SO_REUSEADDR option set it only seems to work
    > if its done before bind() is called. Is this normal behaviour? Does
    > it
    > apply to all setsockopt() options or just this one?

    Yes SO_REUSEADDR only applies if set before the call to bind(), since
    it controls the behaviour of bind as described in this man page
    http://www.rt.com/man/bind.2.html . Similarly, the socket option
    SO_LINGER must be set before you close the socket with close(), since
    it controls the behaviour of close(). Most other socket options should
    take effect immediately, but consult the man pages for your system to
    be sure.

    > Thanks for any help

    You're welcome!

    Mark