How to set /var/adm/messages.* file recycle period to 90 days -BEGINNER QUESTION - Unix

This is a discussion on How to set /var/adm/messages.* file recycle period to 90 days -BEGINNER QUESTION - Unix ; How does one change the logging recycle period for the /var/adm/ messages.* file at a Solaris 8 server ? We need to keep messages.* for over 90 days before creating a new messages.* file . Currently, they are being overwritten ...

  1. How to set /var/adm/messages.* file recycle period to 90 days -BEGINNER QUESTION

    How does one change the logging recycle period for the /var/adm/
    messages.* file at a Solaris 8 server ? We need to keep messages.* for
    over 90 days before creating a new messages.* file . Currently, they
    are being overwritten in about 7 to 14 days.

    $ ls -lt mess*
    -rw--- 1 root other 114062 Apr 29 13:46 messages
    -rw--- 1 root other 385135 Apr 27 02:46 messages.0
    -rw--- 1 root other 374198 Apr 20 03:05 messages.1
    -rw--- 1 root other 372558 Apr 13 02:52 messages.2
    -rw--- 1 root other 373193 Apr 6 02:51 messages.3

    We need to keep each message for 90 days before another messages.* is
    created :

    -rw--- 1 root other ********* Apr 29 13:46 messages
    -rw--- 1 root other *********Jan 27 02:46 messages.0
    -rw--- 1 root other ********* Oct 20 03:05 messages.1
    -rw--- 1 root other ********* Jul 13 02:52 messages.2
    -rw--- 1 root other ********* Apr 6 02:51 messages.3

    Thanks,

    Bill

  2. Re: How to set /var/adm/messages.* file recycle period to 90 days- BEGINNER QUESTION

    underh20.scubadiving@gmail.com wrote:
    > How does one change the logging recycle period for the /var/adm/
    > messages.* file at a Solaris 8 server ? We need to keep messages.* for
    > over 90 days before creating a new messages.* file . Currently, they
    > are being overwritten in about 7 to 14 days.

    Solaris 8 uses a shell script /usr/lib/newsyslog running from root's cron.
    The script takes care of /var/adm/messages and /var/log/syslog files.
    Edit the script and/or change the cron job schedule.

    crontab -l

  3. Re: How to set /var/adm/messages.* file recycle period to 90 days- BEGINNER QUESTION

    underh20.scubadiving@gmail.com wrote:
    > How does one change the logging recycle period for the /var/adm/
    > messages.* file at a Solaris 8 server ? We need to keep messages.* for
    > over 90 days before creating a new messages.* file . Currently, they
    > are being overwritten in about 7 to 14 days.

    Solaris 8 uses a shell script /usr/lib/newsyslog running from root's cron.
    The script takes care of /var/adm/messages and /var/log/syslog files.
    Edit the script and/or change the cron job schedule.

    crontab -l

+ Reply to Thread