example of .journal file - Unix

This is a discussion on example of .journal file - Unix ; Hi, I wanted to know the structure/contents of a .journal file, i.e. how exactly the .journal file looks like and what contents get written into it. I do not have a Linux File system installed and also googled on the ...

  1. example of .journal file

    Hi,

    I wanted to know the structure/contents of a .journal file, i.e. how
    exactly the .journal file looks like and what contents get written
    into it. I do not have a Linux File system installed and also googled
    on the net regarding the same was not able to find any such sample
    file explaining about .journal file.

    Thanks,
    Devang

  2. Re: example of .journal file

    On Apr 24, 9:43 pm, ddavid wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I wanted to know the structure/contents of a .journal file, i.e. how
    > exactly the .journal file looks like and what contents get written
    > into it. I do not have a Linux File system installed and also googled
    > on the net regarding the same was not able to find any such sample
    > file explaining about .journal file.

    An extension is just a hint of what the file might contain.
    A .jpg needs not to be a valid JPG image file, for example.
    You could try `file' (man 1 file), which is a well known UNIX utility
    for determining the type of a file.

  3. Re: example of .journal file

    vippstar@gmail.com wrote:
    > On Apr 24, 9:43 pm, ddavid wrote:
    >> I wanted to know the structure/contents of a .journal file, i.e. how
    >> exactly the .journal file looks like and what contents get written
    >> into it. I do not have a Linux File system installed and also googled
    >> on the net regarding the same was not able to find any such sample
    >> file explaining about .journal file.

    > An extension is just a hint of what the file might contain.
    > A .jpg needs not to be a valid JPG image file, for example.
    > You could try `file' (man 1 file), which is a well known UNIX utility
    > for determining the type of a file.

    I guess the OP is writing about a file called ".journal" (which my
    system has as (/.journal) that apparently contains the
    filesystem-journal for an ext3 file system (but I'm no expert on
    GNU/Linux file systems, so this might not be 100% correct).

    On my machine this file is somewhat 33MB in size, so I don't think it
    would be easy to send, though...

    Daniel

    --
    Done: Bar-Sam-Val-Wiz, Dwa-Elf-Hum-Orc, Cha-Law, Fem-Mal
    Underway: Ran-Gno-Neu-Fem

+ Reply to Thread