monitoring data from a remote computer - Unix

This is a discussion on monitoring data from a remote computer - Unix ; Here is a brief description of my problem: I have a robot controlled by an embedded computer running under QNX (which is posix compliant). For debugging purpose I would like to monitor some of the internal data in real time ...

  1. monitoring data from a remote computer

    Here is a brief description of my problem: I have a robot controlled
    by an embedded computer running under QNX (which is posix compliant).
    For debugging purpose I would like to monitor some of the internal
    data in real time from a remote computer on a LAN.

    I can write a serialize / deserialize - client / server framework.
    It's a small scale application so it won't be (too) difficult. But I
    am wondering if there was anything existing already since Linux is
    good at networking.

    I thought that maybe I could use some IPC technology. Maybe like
    remote access to a shared memory. Would it be possible between 2 linux
    computers in the first place? If so it should also be possible with
    one QNX end (I'll check with the QNX guys).

    Any suggestion is welcomed

  2. Re: monitoring data from a remote computer

    Brice Rebsamen wrote:
    > Here is a brief description of my problem: I have a robot controlled
    > by an embedded computer running under QNX (which is posix compliant).
    > For debugging purpose I would like to monitor some of the internal
    > data in real time from a remote computer on a LAN.
    >
    > I can write a serialize / deserialize - client / server framework.
    > It's a small scale application so it won't be (too) difficult. But I
    > am wondering if there was anything existing already since Linux is
    > good at networking.
    >
    > I thought that maybe I could use some IPC technology. Maybe like
    > remote access to a shared memory. Would it be possible between 2 linux
    > computers in the first place? If so it should also be possible with
    > one QNX end (I'll check with the QNX guys).

    I don't know much about QNX, but some googling indicates the ONC RPC
    (formerly called Sun RPC) may just be available for QNX. So you might
    be able to set up a small RPC server and make remote calls to it from
    a remote client on Linux.

    - Logan

+ Reply to Thread