Script to check files in adirectory older than X hours - Unix

This is a discussion on Script to check files in adirectory older than X hours - Unix ; hi guys , I need to develop a script to check for all files in a directory that are older than X hours , I have tried with atime ,mtime & some of the switches using the ls command . ...

  1. Script to check files in adirectory older than X hours

    hi guys ,

    I need to develop a script to check for all files in a directory that
    are older than X hours ,
    I have tried with atime ,mtime & some of the switches using the ls
    command .
    please suggest me some tips .

    thanks your help is appreciated .

  2. Re: Script to check files in adirectory older than X hours

    In article
    <17de4b21-91e5-4751-b4ec-60950a5b977b@m71g2000hse.googlegroups.com>,
    raghav wrote:

    > hi guys ,
    >
    > I need to develop a script to check for all files in a directory that
    > are older than X hours ,
    > I have tried with atime ,mtime & some of the switches using the ls
    > command .
    > please suggest me some tips .
    >
    > thanks your help is appreciated .

    Use GNU find with the -mmin option:

    find -type f -mmin +

    --
    Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    Arlington, MA

  3. Re: Script to check files in adirectory older than X hours

    raghav wrote:

    > I need to develop a script to check for all files in a directory that
    > are older than X hours ,
    > I have tried with atime ,mtime *& some of the switches using the ls
    > command .

    I looked at "touch -t" on the first system I accessed (HPUX
    today) and it is able to create a file with an mtime specified
    to the nearest second.

    Get the current time into a variable. Do some time arithmatic
    and make a string that has the time X hours ago to the
    nearest second. "touch -t $thentime /tmp/anchor.$$" to have
    an anchor file in place. Then do

    find $yourdir -type f -older /tmp/anchor.$$ -print | your_processing

    End with rm /tmp/anchor.$$ to clean up.

+ Reply to Thread