"struct group" question - Unix

This is a discussion on "struct group" question - Unix ; The group struct returned by getgrnam() and getgrgid() contains a gr_passwd field. What processes/commands is this password used by? I presume there must be some command that allows you to switch your real or effective group by calling setgid() or ...

  1. "struct group" question

    The group struct returned by getgrnam() and getgrgid() contains a
    gr_passwd field. What processes/commands is this password used by? I
    presume there must be some command that allows you to switch your real
    or effective group by calling setgid() or setegid() but I can't find
    it.

    B2003

  2. Re: "struct group" question

    Boltar wrote:

    > The group struct returned by getgrnam() and getgrgid() contains a
    > gr_passwd field. What processes/commands is this password used by?

    newgrp

    This is from "man newgrp" on Solaris 10:

    A password is demanded if the group has a password and the
    user is not listed in /etc/group as being a member of that
    group. The only way to create a password for a group is to
    use passwd(1), then cut and paste the password from
    /etc/shadow to /etc/group. Group passwords are antiquated
    and not often used.

    --
    Geoff Clare

+ Reply to Thread