Virtual Memory Management - Unix

This is a discussion on Virtual Memory Management - Unix ; How can I make a unix program of following problem statement : Assume that the main memory of your computer can house maximum 10 numbers of arrays, where each array can accommodate maximum number of 5 elements of integer or ...

  1. Virtual Memory Management

    How can I make a unix program of following problem statement :
    Assume that the main memory of your computer can house maximum 10
    numbers of
    arrays, where each array can accommodate maximum number of 5 elements
    of integer or
    float type. Create processes which run concurrently and perform
    following operations:
    1.Allow various processes to make request to create an array and allow
    that process
    to fill all the elements in that array and do processing on that
    array.
    2.A situation may occur, when the capacity to allocate 10 arrays is
    exhausted and a
    request to create an array may come from a newly created process. In
    that case,
    the array, which is not used frequently, should be swapped out from
    the main
    memory and should be stored as separate file on hard disk.

    If anyone can solve this problem please sent to me.

  2. Re: Virtual Memory Management

    On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 13:15:01 -0700 (PDT), chandrapal_chahar@yahoo.co.in wrote:
    > How can I make a unix program of following problem statement :
    >
    > Assume that the main memory of your computer can house maximum 10
    > numbers of arrays, where each array can accommodate maximum number of
    > 5 elements of integer or float type. Create processes which run
    > concurrently and perform following operations:
    >
    > 1.Allow various processes to make request to create an array and allow
    > that process to fill all the elements in that array and do processing
    > on that array.
    >
    > 2.A situation may occur, when the capacity to allocate 10 arrays is
    > exhausted and a request to create an array may come from a newly
    > created process. In that case, the array, which is not used
    > frequently, should be swapped out from the main memory and should be
    > stored as separate file on hard disk.
    >
    > If anyone can solve this problem please sent to me.

    This looks remarkably like an exercise. If you plan to *really* learn
    something about managing virtual memory, it's a good idea to actually
    write down your thoughts about implementing this. I find that trying to
    put on paper what I am thinking actually helps me understand my own
    thoughts better.

    Then, when you have something like a `plan' to implement this, feel free
    to post the details. We can help you refine the plan, but I don't think
    it's a very good idea to do the exercise for you

  3. Re: Virtual Memory Management

    On Apr 12, 4:15 pm, chandrapal_cha...@yahoo.co.in wrote:
    > How can I make a unix program of following problem statement :
    > Assume that the main memory of your computer can house maximum 10
    > numbers of
    > arrays, where each array can accommodate maximum number of 5 elements
    > of integer or
    > float type. Create processes which run concurrently and perform
    > following operations:
    > 1.Allow various processes to make request to create an array and allow
    > that process
    > to fill all the elements in that array and do processing on that
    > array.
    > 2.A situation may occur, when the capacity to allocate 10 arrays is
    > exhausted and a
    > request to create an array may come from a newly created process. In
    > that case,
    > the array, which is not used frequently, should be swapped out from
    > the main
    > memory and should be stored as separate file on hard disk.
    >
    > If anyone can solve this problem please sent to me.

    Buy more memory or another computer. A computer with
    memory that sparse would probably not do much of
    anything concurrently. I don't think it would even
    run UZI.

    TTFN,
    Stevo
    --
    "The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education."

+ Reply to Thread