spell-checking troff files - Unix

This is a discussion on spell-checking troff files - Unix ; Hi. I have a large amount (hundreds) of troff files for help pages. The pages themselves are quite long with 10 pages per page not uncommon. I would like to spell check these files but I'm not aware of a ...

  1. spell-checking troff files

    Hi. I have a large amount (hundreds) of troff files for help pages.
    The pages themselves are quite long with 10 pages per page not
    uncommon. I would like to spell check these files but I'm not aware of
    a program that is smart enough to ignore the troff, nroff, etc. style
    formatting. Any suggestions?

    Jason

  2. Re: spell-checking troff files

    On Tue, 8 Apr 2008 13:53:22 -0700 (PDT),
    Jason Quinn wrote:
    > Hi. I have a large amount (hundreds) of troff files for help pages.
    > The pages themselves are quite long with 10 pages per page not
    > uncommon. I would like to spell check these files but I'm not aware of
    > a program that is smart enough to ignore the troff, nroff, etc. style
    > formatting. Any suggestions?

    Feed it through nroff, then spell-check the output. You might have to do
    some fudging (no hyphenation, line numbers will be off) but at least you
    get the misspelt words pointed out to find and correct.

  3. Re: spell-checking troff files

    Jason Quinn wrote:
    > Hi. I have a large amount (hundreds) of troff files for help pages.
    > The pages themselves are quite long with 10 pages per page not
    > uncommon. I would like to spell check these files but I'm not aware of
    > a program that is smart enough to ignore the troff, nroff, etc. style
    > formatting. Any suggestions?
    >
    > Jason

    I've always used MicroEmacs www.jasspa.com but my guess is that GNU
    Emacs will also do it. Probably more useful for composition.

+ Reply to Thread