The art of computer programming? - Unix

This is a discussion on The art of computer programming? - Unix ; I am considering to buy "The art of computer programming Vol 1-3": http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...xional-uk-1-21 But on this page: http://www-cs-faculty.stanford.edu/~knuth/taocp.html it says that Vol 1+2 is third edition while Vol 3 is second edition. On the amazon link it just says second ...

  1. The art of computer programming?

    I am considering to buy "The art of computer programming Vol 1-3":

    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...xional-uk-1-21

    But on this page:

    http://www-cs-faculty.stanford.edu/~knuth/taocp.html

    it says that Vol 1+2 is third edition while Vol 3 is second edition. On
    the amazon link it just says second edition. Are the amazon boxed set
    the outdated versions?

    Are there any better alternatives to knuth works?

  2. Re: The art of computer programming?

    desktop writes:
    > I am considering to buy "The art of computer programming Vol 1-3":
    > http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...xional-uk-1-21
    >
    > But on this page:
    >
    > http://www-cs-faculty.stanford.edu/~knuth/taocp.html
    >
    > it says that Vol 1+2 is third edition while Vol 3 is second
    > edition. On the amazon link it just says second edition. Are the
    > amazon boxed set the outdated versions?
    >
    > Are there any better alternatives to knuth works?

    You could try 'Algorithms and Datastructures in $language' by
    R. Sedgewick. YMMV, but one of D. Knuth's primary talents is to
    express even simple in things in ways which easily defeat
    understanding. Also, the version I have is a little light on 'certain
    topics' and even wrong: For instance, Knuth claims that PATRICIA
    tries cannot be used when keys can be prefixes of other keys, which is
    true for his example implementation. BSD uses them for makeing routing
    descisions since more than fifteen years, which requires exactly that.
    I use the same data structure to represent parts of the SNMP 'oid
    tree' for an SNMP gateway application (transparently supporting
    'security' for SNMP v1/ v2c management software), which needs keys
    being prefixes of other keys, too.

  3. Re: The art of computer programming?

    On 2008-04-07, Rainer Weikusat wrote:

    > You could try 'Algorithms and Datastructures in $language' by
    > R. Sedgewick. YMMV, but one of D. Knuth's primary talents is to

    Be sure to get the old edition of the book, if you can in any way. The old
    editions are a gold mine of a bunch of different algorithms (searching,
    sorting, strings, etc.) in a single book. New editions are chopped into
    several books with a very diluted writing style and I hate them[1]. I
    consider myself as lucky owner of the C-language old edition :-)

    [1] This is obviously a matter of taste. The old edition is a great
    reference book, new editions are probably a great but boring teaching
    material. Again, IMHO.

+ Reply to Thread