What does this script do? - Unix

This is a discussion on What does this script do? - Unix ; In a script I have: java MNISTtoPPM "testImg" "testLbl" $1 | convert - GIF:- | xv - The output from the java program that takes 3 arguments are piped to: convert - GIF:- | xv - but when I run ...

  1. What does this script do?

    In a script I have:

    java MNISTtoPPM "testImg" "testLbl" $1 | convert - GIF:- | xv -

    The output from the java program that takes 3 arguments are piped to:

    convert - GIF:- | xv -

    but when I run it like: ./viewtest 2

    I get:

    convert: no decode delegate for this image format `/tmp/magick-XXPYD6zc'.

    So something goes wrong with the imagemagic convert command. How should:

    | convert - GIF:- | xv -

    be understood and why the error?

  2. Re: What does this script do?

    In saneman writes:

    > In a script I have:

    > java MNISTtoPPM "testImg" "testLbl" $1 | convert - GIF:- | xv -

    At a guess, it runs a java program which produces an image on the
    standard output, which is then fed to the "convert" program which
    manioulates the image into the GIF format, and then feeds that image
    into the "xv" program for viewing.

    > convert: no decode delegate for this image format `/tmp/magick-XXPYD6zc'.

    > So something goes wrong with the imagemagic convert command. How should:

    Sounds like ImageMagick doesn't know how to interpret the image. Perhaps
    it needs the right codec?