Update disk group version from 90 to 120 after Veritas StorageFoundation upgrade from 3.5 to 5.0 - Unix

This is a discussion on Update disk group version from 90 to 120 after Veritas StorageFoundation upgrade from 3.5 to 5.0 - Unix ; Dear Sir/Madam, Is there any difference in terms of performance/stability (if any) for Veritas volumes between disk group 90 vs. version 120 ? Our Solaris 8 server is running Veritas Foundation Suite for Oracle 3.5-mp3. All volumes/disk groups are created ...

  1. Update disk group version from 90 to 120 after Veritas StorageFoundation upgrade from 3.5 to 5.0

    Dear Sir/Madam,

    Is there any difference in terms of performance/stability (if any) for
    Veritas volumes between disk group 90 vs. version 120 ?

    Our Solaris 8 server is running Veritas Foundation Suite for Oracle
    3.5-mp3. All volumes/disk groups are created under version 90. The
    server will be migrated to Solaris 10 with Veritas Storage Foundation
    for Oracle 5.0-mp1. What command(s) does one use to modify the file
    version on all existing volumes/disk groups from 90 to 120 after the
    Veritas/OS upgrade ? Is the command safe and does it allow fall-back
    from 120 to 90 if we run into any issue ?

    Unfortunately, we don't have any backup of these volumes for this
    upgrade. Either we have to up the version to 120 or keep the version
    at 90 with the latest Veritas and OS.

    Please let me know.

    Thanks in advance for your assistance,

    Bill

  2. Re: Update disk group version from 90 to 120 after Veritas Storage ?Foundation upgrade from 3.5 to 5.0

    In comp.unix.solaris underh20.scubadiving@gmail.com wrote:

    > Dear Sir/Madam,
    >
    > Is there any difference in terms of performance/stability (if any) for
    > Veritas volumes between disk group 90 vs. version 120 ?

    None in specific that I'm aware of. Bugs always exist, but I can't
    recall anything associated with the on-disk format of the diskgroup like
    this.

    > Our Solaris 8 server is running Veritas Foundation Suite for Oracle
    > 3.5-mp3. All volumes/disk groups are created under version 90. The
    > server will be migrated to Solaris 10 with Veritas Storage Foundation
    > for Oracle 5.0-mp1. What command(s) does one use to modify the file
    > version on all existing volumes/disk groups from 90 to 120 after the
    > Veritas/OS upgrade ? Is the command safe and does it allow fall-back
    > from 120 to 90 if we run into any issue ?

    "File version"?

    Your first question was about the diskgroup version. That can be
    upgraded via 'vxdg upgrade' (see the vxdg man page). This is a separate
    issue from the VxFS version (if you are running that filesystem).

    Besides the dg version, you should also check your VxFS file system
    versions. You may have to convert them for use under 5.0 (see the
    vxupgrade and vxfsconvert man pages)

    Yes, the vxdg upgrade command is "safe".

    No, there's no going back. If you ever need to import the group on a
    version of VxVM that does not support version 120, then the import will
    fail after conversion. You can create new groups with an older version
    layout (for compatibility reasons), but not downgrade any existing
    group.

    The primary reason that you would want to convert is to access features
    that require the later version numbers. For instance, I believe CDS
    requires version 110 or greater. If you do not need any of those
    features, you can leave the group at version 90 indefinitely.

    Finally, why "120"? 5.0 supports up to version 140. 'vxdg upgrade'
    with no explicit version given will always upgrade to the highest
    version available.

    > Unfortunately, we don't have any backup of these volumes for this
    > upgrade. Either we have to up the version to 120 or keep the version
    > at 90 with the latest Veritas and OS.

    Yuck. No backup is begging for trouble, regardless of what you're
    doing.

    --
    Darren Dunham ddunham@taos.com

  3. Re: Update disk group version from 90 to 120 after Veritas Storage ?Foundation upgrade from 3.5 to 5.0

    In comp.unix.solaris underh20.scubadiving@gmail.com wrote:

    > Dear Sir/Madam,
    >
    > Is there any difference in terms of performance/stability (if any) for
    > Veritas volumes between disk group 90 vs. version 120 ?

    None in specific that I'm aware of. Bugs always exist, but I can't
    recall anything associated with the on-disk format of the diskgroup like
    this.

    > Our Solaris 8 server is running Veritas Foundation Suite for Oracle
    > 3.5-mp3. All volumes/disk groups are created under version 90. The
    > server will be migrated to Solaris 10 with Veritas Storage Foundation
    > for Oracle 5.0-mp1. What command(s) does one use to modify the file
    > version on all existing volumes/disk groups from 90 to 120 after the
    > Veritas/OS upgrade ? Is the command safe and does it allow fall-back
    > from 120 to 90 if we run into any issue ?

    "File version"?

    Your first question was about the diskgroup version. That can be
    upgraded via 'vxdg upgrade' (see the vxdg man page). This is a separate
    issue from the VxFS version (if you are running that filesystem).

    Besides the dg version, you should also check your VxFS file system
    versions. You may have to convert them for use under 5.0 (see the
    vxupgrade and vxfsconvert man pages)

    Yes, the vxdg upgrade command is "safe".

    No, there's no going back. If you ever need to import the group on a
    version of VxVM that does not support version 120, then the import will
    fail after conversion. You can create new groups with an older version
    layout (for compatibility reasons), but not downgrade any existing
    group.

    The primary reason that you would want to convert is to access features
    that require the later version numbers. For instance, I believe CDS
    requires version 110 or greater. If you do not need any of those
    features, you can leave the group at version 90 indefinitely.

    Finally, why "120"? 5.0 supports up to version 140. 'vxdg upgrade'
    with no explicit version given will always upgrade to the highest
    version available.

    > Unfortunately, we don't have any backup of these volumes for this
    > upgrade. Either we have to up the version to 120 or keep the version
    > at 90 with the latest Veritas and OS.

    Yuck. No backup is begging for trouble, regardless of what you're
    doing.

    --
    Darren Dunham ddunham@taos.com

  4. Re: Update disk group version from 90 to 120 after Veritas Storage?Foundation upgrade from 3.5 to 5.0

    Darren Dunham wrote:
    > In comp.unix.solaris underh20.scubadiving@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    >>Dear Sir/Madam,
    >>
    >>Is there any difference in terms of performance/stability (if any) for
    >>Veritas volumes between disk group 90 vs. version 120 ?

    > None in specific that I'm aware of. Bugs always exist, but I can't
    > recall anything associated with the on-disk format of the diskgroup like
    > this.
    >

    >>Our Solaris 8 server is running Veritas Foundation Suite for Oracle
    >>3.5-mp3. All volumes/disk groups are created under version 90. The
    >>server will be migrated to Solaris 10 with Veritas Storage Foundation
    >>for Oracle 5.0-mp1. What command(s) does one use to modify the file
    >>version on all existing volumes/disk groups from 90 to 120 after the
    >>Veritas/OS upgrade ? Is the command safe and does it allow fall-back
    >>from 120 to 90 if we run into any issue ?

    > "File version"?
    >
    > Your first question was about the diskgroup version. That can be
    > upgraded via 'vxdg upgrade' (see the vxdg man page). This is a separate
    > issue from the VxFS version (if you are running that filesystem).
    >
    > Besides the dg version, you should also check your VxFS file system
    > versions. You may have to convert them for use under 5.0 (see the
    > vxupgrade and vxfsconvert man pages)
    >
    > Yes, the vxdg upgrade command is "safe".
    >
    > No, there's no going back. If you ever need to import the group on a
    > version of VxVM that does not support version 120, then the import will
    > fail after conversion. You can create new groups with an older version
    > layout (for compatibility reasons), but not downgrade any existing
    > group.
    >
    > The primary reason that you would want to convert is to access features
    > that require the later version numbers. For instance, I believe CDS
    > requires version 110 or greater. If you do not need any of those
    > features, you can leave the group at version 90 indefinitely.
    >
    > Finally, why "120"? 5.0 supports up to version 140. 'vxdg upgrade'
    > with no explicit version given will always upgrade to the highest
    > version available.
    >

    >>Unfortunately, we don't have any backup of these volumes for this
    >>upgrade. Either we have to up the version to 120 or keep the version
    >>at 90 with the latest Veritas and OS.

    > Yuck. No backup is begging for trouble, regardless of what you're
    > doing.

    Indeed!

    The question is not whether a disk will fail but when it will fail!
    Mirroring a disk is not a substitute for backup! If some bit of
    software corrupts a file, the corruption will be faithfully mirrored!
    If someone inadvertently deletes the wrong file, it's gone!

    Between hardware failures, software failures, and human error, the risk
    is simply too great if the data has any value at all!

    If the worst happens, you can be certain that management is not going to
    take the blame. You will be the one out on the street!

  5. Re: Update disk group version from 90 to 120 after Veritas Storage?Foundation upgrade from 3.5 to 5.0

+ Reply to Thread