Delaying UDP packets - Unix

This is a discussion on Delaying UDP packets - Unix ; I need to intercept a UDP packet stream and delay all the packets by 20ms. The requirement is that the recipient only receives the modified packet stream with the additional 20ms delays incorporated. This needs to be done as efficiently ...

  1. Delaying UDP packets

    I need to intercept a UDP packet stream and delay all the packets by
    20ms. The requirement is that the recipient only receives the modified
    packet stream with the additional 20ms delays incorporated. This needs
    to be done as efficiently as possible. I know about libpcap but I read
    somewhere that pcap only provides you with a copy of the packet. The
    original packet still reaches the destination. I need my delay
    inserting program to work in the man in the middle fashion without the
    sender and receiver knowing it. Please help me out.

  2. Re: Delaying UDP packets

    >I need to intercept a UDP packet stream and delay all the packets by
    >20ms. The requirement is that the recipient only receives the modified
    >packet stream with the additional 20ms delays incorporated. This needs
    >to be done as efficiently as possible. I know about libpcap but I read
    >somewhere that pcap only provides you with a copy of the packet. The
    >original packet still reaches the destination. I need my delay
    >inserting program to work in the man in the middle fashion without the
    >sender and receiver knowing it. Please help me out.

    FreeBSD's packet filter 'ipfw' also has traffic shaping functions that can
    introduce delays, random packet drops, etc. on a portion or all of the traffic.
    I believe Linux has this ability also in a slightly different form.

+ Reply to Thread