Beginner Question - How to assign mulitple IP addresses to Solaris 10server - Unix

This is a discussion on Beginner Question - How to assign mulitple IP addresses to Solaris 10server - Unix ; Hello, Our Solaris 10 server has one NIC with IP address at hme0 as below : hme0: flags=1000843 mtu 1500 index 2 inet 172.27.248.133 netmask fffffff00 broadcast 172.27.248.255 In addition to the permanent address above, we need to add 3 ...

  1. Beginner Question - How to assign mulitple IP addresses to Solaris 10server

    Hello,

    Our Solaris 10 server has one NIC with IP address at hme0 as below :

    hme0: flags=1000843 mtu
    1500 index 2
    inet 172.27.248.133 netmask fffffff00 broadcast
    172.27.248.255

    In addition to the permanent address above, we need to add 3 IP
    addresses with the same subnet, default gateway and netmasks to this
    server. Could we do it ? If yes, could you let me know how
    please ? One requirement is we cannot reboot the server at any time.

    Thanks,

    Bill

  2. Re: Beginner Question - How to assign mulitple IP addresses to Solaris 10server

    In article <93de70d4-13d1-46e4-826a-700afadc6201@s13g2000prd.googlegroups.com>,
    wrote:
    >Hello,
    >
    >Our Solaris 10 server has one NIC with IP address at hme0 as below :
    >
    > hme0: flags=1000843 mtu
    >1500 index 2
    > inet 172.27.248.133 netmask fffffff00 broadcast
    >172.27.248.255
    >
    >In addition to the permanent address above, we need to add 3 IP
    >addresses with the same subnet, default gateway and netmasks to this
    >server. Could we do it ?

    Yes.

    > If yes, could you let me know how please ? One requirement is we cannot
    > reboot the server at any time.

    Here's how to do it w/o rebooting, for every new-addr/new-addr's-prefix pair:

    ifconfig hme0 addif / up

    I'll assume you don't need any other routing stuff. I can't recall the
    standard way to make this stick across reboots, so I'll let someone else
    followup with that.
    --
    Daniel L. McDonald - Solaris Security & Networking Engineering
    Mail: danmcd@sun.com | * MY OPINIONS ARE NOT NECESSARILY SUN'S! *

  3. Re: Beginner Question - How to assign mulitple IP addresses to Solaris 10server

    wrote:
    >Hello,
    >
    >Our Solaris 10 server has one NIC with IP address at hme0 as below :
    >
    > hme0: flags=1000843 mtu
    >1500 index 2
    > inet 172.27.248.133 netmask fffffff00 broadcast
    >172.27.248.255
    >
    >In addition to the permanent address above, we need to add 3 IP
    >addresses with the same subnet, default gateway and netmasks to this
    >server. Could we do it ?

    Yes.

    > If yes, could you let me know how please ? One requirement is we cannot
    > reboot the server at any time.

    Here's how to do it w/o rebooting, for every new-addr/new-addr's-prefix pair:

    ifconfig hme0 addif / up

    I'll assume you don't need any other routing stuff. I can't recall the
    standard way to make this stick across reboots, so I'll let someone else
    followup with that.
    --
    Daniel L. McDonald - Solaris Security & Networking Engineering
    Mail: danmcd@sun.com | * MY OPINIONS ARE NOT NECESSARILY SUN'S! *
    35 Network Drive Burlington, MA |"rising falling at force ten
    http://blogs.sun.com/danmcd/ | we twist the world and ride the wind" - Rush

  4. Re: Beginner Question - How to assign mulitple IP addresses to Solaris 10 ?server

    In comp.unix.misc Dan McDonald wrote:
    > In article <93de70d4-13d1-46e4-826a-700afadc6201@s13g2000prd.googlegroups.com>,
    > wrote:
    >>Hello,
    >>
    >>Our Solaris 10 server has one NIC with IP address at hme0 as below :
    >>
    >> hme0: flags=1000843 mtu
    >>1500 index 2
    >> inet 172.27.248.133 netmask fffffff00 broadcast
    >>172.27.248.255
    >>
    >>In addition to the permanent address above, we need to add 3 IP
    >>addresses with the same subnet, default gateway and netmasks to this
    >>server. Could we do it ?

    > Yes.
    >
    >> If yes, could you let me know how please ? One requirement is we cannot
    >> reboot the server at any time.

    > Here's how to do it w/o rebooting, for every new-addr/new-addr's-prefix pair:
    >
    > ifconfig hme0 addif / up
    >
    > I'll assume you don't need any other routing stuff. I can't recall the
    > standard way to make this stick across reboots, so I'll let someone else
    > followup with that.

    Create a file called /etc/hostname.hme0:1 containing a single line holding
    the IP number. Further IPs can be allocated by increating the :1 to :2, :3
    etc.

    --
    Gustaf Lindborg: The sailor does not pray for wind, he learns to sail

  5. Re: Beginner Question - How to assign mulitple IP addresses to Solaris 10 ?server

    In comp.unix.misc Dan McDonald wrote:
    > In article <93de70d4-13d1-46e4-826a-700afadc6201@s13g2000prd.googlegroups.com>,
    > wrote:
    >>Hello,
    >>
    >>Our Solaris 10 server has one NIC with IP address at hme0 as below :
    >>
    >> hme0: flags=1000843 mtu
    >>1500 index 2
    >> inet 172.27.248.133 netmask fffffff00 broadcast
    >>172.27.248.255
    >>
    >>In addition to the permanent address above, we need to add 3 IP
    >>addresses with the same subnet, default gateway and netmasks to this
    >>server. Could we do it ?

    > Yes.
    >
    >> If yes, could you let me know how please ? One requirement is we cannot
    >> reboot the server at any time.

    > Here's how to do it w/o rebooting, for every new-addr/new-addr's-prefix pair:
    >
    > ifconfig hme0 addif / up
    >
    > I'll assume you don't need any other routing stuff. I can't recall the
    > standard way to make this stick across reboots, so I'll let someone else
    > followup with that.

    Create a file called /etc/hostname.hme0:1 containing a single line holding
    the IP number. Further IPs can be allocated by increating the :1 to :2, :3
    etc.

    --
    Gustaf Lindborg: The sailor does not pray for wind, he learns to sail

  6. Re: Beginner Question - How to assign mulitple IP addresses toSolaris 10 server

    On Mar 10, 10:29*am, dan...@Eng.Sun.COM (Dan McDonald) wrote:
    > In article <93de70d4-13d1-46e4-826a-700afadc6...@s13g2000prd.googlegroups.com>,
    >
    > * wrote:
    > >Hello,

    > >Our Solaris 10 server has one NIC with IP address at hme0 as below :

    > > * * * hme0: flags=1000843 mtu
    > >1500 index 2
    > > * * * * * * * * inet 172.27.248.133 netmask fffffff00 broadcast
    > >172.27.248.255

    > >In addition to the permanent address above, we need to add 3 IP
    > >addresses with the same subnet, default gateway and netmasks to this
    > >server. * Could we do it ?

    > Yes.
    >
    > > If yes, could you let me know how please ? *One requirement is we cannot
    > > reboot the server at any time.

    > Here's how to do it w/o rebooting, for every new-addr/new-addr's-prefix pair:
    >
    > * * * * ifconfig hme0 addif / up
    >
    > I'll assume you don't need any other routing stuff. *I can't recall the
    > standard way to make this stick across reboots, so I'll let someone else
    > followup with that.
    > --
    > Daniel L. McDonald *- *Solaris Security & Networking Engineering
    > Mail: dan...@sun.com * * * * * * | ** MY OPINIONS ARE NOT NECESSARILY SUN'S! *
    > 35 Network Drive *Burlington, MA |"rising falling at force tenhttp://blogs.sun.com/danmcd/* * | we twist the world and ride the wind" - Rush

    Hi Daniel,

    Will the current hme0 be hung if I issue "ifconfig hme0 addif addr>/ up" command ?

    Thanks for your help.

    Bill

  7. Re: Beginner Question - How to assign mulitple IP addresses toSolaris 10 server

    On Mar 10, 10:29*am, dan...@Eng.Sun.COM (Dan McDonald) wrote:
    > In article <93de70d4-13d1-46e4-826a-700afadc6...@s13g2000prd.googlegroups.com>,
    >
    > * wrote:
    > >Hello,

    > >Our Solaris 10 server has one NIC with IP address at hme0 as below :

    > > * * * hme0: flags=1000843 mtu
    > >1500 index 2
    > > * * * * * * * * inet 172.27.248.133 netmask fffffff00 broadcast
    > >172.27.248.255

    > >In addition to the permanent address above, we need to add 3 IP
    > >addresses with the same subnet, default gateway and netmasks to this
    > >server. * Could we do it ?

    > Yes.
    >
    > > If yes, could you let me know how please ? *One requirement is we cannot
    > > reboot the server at any time.

    > Here's how to do it w/o rebooting, for every new-addr/new-addr's-prefix pair:
    >
    > * * * * ifconfig hme0 addif / up
    >
    > I'll assume you don't need any other routing stuff. *I can't recall the
    > standard way to make this stick across reboots, so I'll let someone else
    > followup with that.
    > --
    > Daniel L. McDonald *- *Solaris Security & Networking Engineering
    > Mail: dan...@sun.com * * * * * * | ** MY OPINIONS ARE NOT NECESSARILY SUN'S! *
    > 35 Network Drive *Burlington, MA |"rising falling at force tenhttp://blogs.sun.com/danmcd/* * | we twist the world and ride the wind" - Rush

    Hi Daniel,

    Will the current hme0 be hung if I issue "ifconfig hme0 addif addr>/ up" command ?

    Thanks for your help.

    Bill

  8. Re: Beginner Question - How to assign mulitple IP addresses toSolaris 10 server

    On Mar 10, 1:19 pm, underh20 wrote:
    > On Mar 10, 10:29 am, dan...@Eng.Sun.COM (Dan McDonald) wrote:
    >

    > > In article <93de70d4-13d1-46e4-826a-700afadc6...@s13g2000prd.googlegroups.com>,

    > > wrote:
    > > >Hello,

    > > >Our Solaris 10 server has one NIC with IP address at hme0 as below :

    > > > hme0: flags=1000843 mtu
    > > >1500 index 2
    > > > inet 172.27.248.133 netmask fffffff00 broadcast
    > > >172.27.248.255

    > > >In addition to the permanent address above, we need to add 3 IP
    > > >addresses with the same subnet, default gateway and netmasks to this
    > > >server. Could we do it ?

    > > Yes.

    > > > If yes, could you let me know how please ? One requirement is we cannot
    > > > reboot the server at any time.

    > > Here's how to do it w/o rebooting, for every new-addr/new-addr's-prefix pair:

    > > ifconfig hme0 addif / up

    > > I'll assume you don't need any other routing stuff. I can't recall the
    > > standard way to make this stick across reboots, so I'll let someone else
    > > followup with that.
    > > --
    > > Daniel L. McDonald - Solaris Security & Networking Engineering
    > > Mail: dan...@sun.com | * MY OPINIONS ARE NOT NECESSARILY SUN'S! *
    > > 35 Network Drive Burlington, MA |"rising falling at force tenhttp://blogs.sun.com/danmcd/ | we twist the world and ride the wind" - Rush

    > Hi Daniel,
    >
    > Will the current hme0 be hung if I issue "ifconfig hme0 addif > addr>/ up" command ?
    >
    > Thanks for your help.
    >
    > Bill

    The current hme0 will continue to run with no problems during and
    after the ifconfig addif command. You can make the changes persist
    across reboots by just adding the "addif" statements in /etc/
    hostname.hme0

  9. Re: Beginner Question - How to assign mulitple IP addresses toSolaris 10 server

    On Mar 10, 1:19 pm, underh20 wrote:
    > On Mar 10, 10:29 am, dan...@Eng.Sun.COM (Dan McDonald) wrote:
    >

    > > In article <93de70d4-13d1-46e4-826a-700afadc6...@s13g2000prd.googlegroups.com>,

    > > wrote:
    > > >Hello,

    > > >Our Solaris 10 server has one NIC with IP address at hme0 as below :

    > > > hme0: flags=1000843 mtu
    > > >1500 index 2
    > > > inet 172.27.248.133 netmask fffffff00 broadcast
    > > >172.27.248.255

    > > >In addition to the permanent address above, we need to add 3 IP
    > > >addresses with the same subnet, default gateway and netmasks to this
    > > >server. Could we do it ?

    > > Yes.

    > > > If yes, could you let me know how please ? One requirement is we cannot
    > > > reboot the server at any time.

    > > Here's how to do it w/o rebooting, for every new-addr/new-addr's-prefix pair:

    > > ifconfig hme0 addif / up

    > > I'll assume you don't need any other routing stuff. I can't recall the
    > > standard way to make this stick across reboots, so I'll let someone else
    > > followup with that.
    > > --
    > > Daniel L. McDonald - Solaris Security & Networking Engineering
    > > Mail: dan...@sun.com | * MY OPINIONS ARE NOT NECESSARILY SUN'S! *
    > > 35 Network Drive Burlington, MA |"rising falling at force tenhttp://blogs.sun.com/danmcd/ | we twist the world and ride the wind" - Rush

    > Hi Daniel,
    >
    > Will the current hme0 be hung if I issue "ifconfig hme0 addif > addr>/ up" command ?
    >
    > Thanks for your help.
    >
    > Bill

    The current hme0 will continue to run with no problems during and
    after the ifconfig addif command. You can make the changes persist
    across reboots by just adding the "addif" statements in /etc/
    hostname.hme0

  10. Re: Beginner Question - How to assign mulitple IP addresses to ?Solaris 10 server

    In comp.unix.solaris ITguy wrote:
    > The current hme0 will continue to run with no problems during and
    > after the ifconfig addif command. You can make the changes persist
    > across reboots by just adding the "addif" statements in /etc/
    > hostname.hme0

    Uhh, sorta.

    Solaris 8 and later parses the /etc/hostname.* files differently if they
    have exactly one line or if they have more than one line.

    While you can add ifconfig statements (like addif), you'll probably have
    to modify the existing line as well.
    (The modification usually consists of adding
    netmask + broadcast + up
    to the end of the existing line)

    --
    Darren Dunham ddunham@taos.com

  11. Re: Beginner Question - How to assign mulitple IP addresses to ?Solaris 10 server