Compiling problem about the source code of AUP - Unix

This is a discussion on Compiling problem about the source code of AUP - Unix ; Dear all, I have downloaded the source code of AUP from www.basepath.com/aup . And I followed the compiling instruction. My OS is ubuntu. I found the compiling failed. After moving to the debian, it succeeds. Do you have any solutions ...

  1. Compiling problem about the source code of AUP

    Dear all,

    I have downloaded the source code of AUP from www.basepath.com/aup. And
    I followed the compiling instruction. My OS is ubuntu. I found the
    compiling failed. After moving to the debian, it succeeds.

    Do you have any solutions to compile it successfully on Ubuntu?

    Thank you very much!

    Best,
    Tony

  2. Re: Compiling problem about the source code of AUP

    Tony, Zhang wrote:
    > Dear all,
    >
    > I have downloaded the source code of AUP from www.basepath.com/aup. And
    > I followed the compiling instruction. My OS is ubuntu. I found the
    > compiling failed. After moving to the debian, it succeeds.
    >
    > Do you have any solutions to compile it successfully on Ubuntu?
    >
    > Thank you very much!
    >
    > Best,
    > Tony

    You will have to tell us how it failed before anybody can begin to help you!

    Robert

  3. Re: Compiling problem about the source code of AUP

    Robert Harris wrote:
    > Tony, Zhang wrote:
    >> Dear all,
    >>
    >> I have downloaded the source code of AUP from www.basepath.com/aup. And
    >> I followed the compiling instruction. My OS is ubuntu. I found the
    >> compiling failed. After moving to the debian, it succeeds.
    >>
    >> Do you have any solutions to compile it successfully on Ubuntu?
    >>
    >> Thank you very much!
    >>
    >> Best,
    >> Tony

    > You will have to tell us how it failed before anybody can begin to help you!
    >
    > Robert

    Hi,

    I am sorry.

    On debian, if I do not modify the makebuild.spec in common directory, I
    can successfully compile it.

    On ubuntu, if I do not modify the makebuild.spec in common directory, it
    is said:

    /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lncurses
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
    make: *** [timetst] Error 1

    If I modify the makebuild.spec, it is said Wstrict is unknown.

    Best,
    Tony

  4. Re: Compiling problem about the source code of AUP

    On Sat, 08 Mar 2008 20:56:34 +0800, Tony, Zhang wrote:

    > On ubuntu, if I do not modify the makebuild.spec in common directory, it
    > is said:
    >
    > /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lncurses
    > collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
    > make: *** [timetst] Error 1
    >
    > If I modify the makebuild.spec, it is said Wstrict is unknown.
    >
    > Best,
    > Tony

    libncurses5-dev: This package contains the header files, static libraries
    and symbolic links that developers using ncurses will need.

    Try:
    sudo apt-get install libncurses5-dev

    stonerfish

  5. Re: Compiling problem about the source code of AUP

    "Tony, Zhang" writes:

    > Robert Harris wrote:
    >> You will have to tell us how it failed before anybody can begin to
    >> help you!

    I also strongly advise you to read this:
    http://catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

    > On ubuntu, if I do not modify the makebuild.spec in common directory,
    > it is said:
    >
    > /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lncurses
    > collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
    > make: *** [timetst] Error 1

    You should read "man ld", and understand what the message above
    means. After you've done so, "sudo apt-get install ncurses" will
    likely solve that for you.

    > If I modify the makebuild.spec, it is said Wstrict is unknown.

    See my point above about asking smart(er) questions.

    Cheers,
    Remove /-nsp/ for email.

  6. Re: Compiling problem about the source code of AUP

    On 2008-03-09 01:26:02 +0800, Paul Pluzhnikov said:

    > "Tony, Zhang" writes:
    >
    >> Robert Harris wrote:
    >>> You will have to tell us how it failed before anybody can begin to
    >>> help you!

    > I also strongly advise you to read this:
    > http://catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
    >
    >> On ubuntu, if I do not modify the makebuild.spec in common directory,
    >> it is said:
    >>
    >> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lncurses
    >> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
    >> make: *** [timetst] Error 1

    > You should read "man ld", and understand what the message above
    > means. After you've done so, "sudo apt-get install ncurses" will
    > likely solve that for you.
    >
    >> If I modify the makebuild.spec, it is said Wstrict is unknown.

    > See my point above about asking smart(er) questions.
    >
    > Cheers,

    Thanks a lot!

    I will follow your suggestions.

    Best,