updation of utmp and wtmp - Unix

This is a discussion on updation of utmp and wtmp - Unix ; I am a normal user. Whenever I am login my login date and time is stored in the utmp. I want to disable that? How?...

  1. updation of utmp and wtmp

    I am a normal user. Whenever I am login my login date and time is
    stored in the utmp.
    I want to disable that?
    How?

  2. Re: updation of utmp and wtmp

    In article
    <0fbbb743-96dd-4041-ac9c-953231c32964@s12g2000prg.googlegroups.com>,
    lak wrote:

    > I am a normal user. Whenever I am login my login date and time is
    > stored in the utmp.
    > I want to disable that?
    > How?

    I don't think you can. Even the superuser can't prevent it from being
    written by login, although he modify it once he's logged in. But
    ordinary users don't have permission to modify utmp and wtmp.

    --
    Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    Arlington, MA

  3. Re: updation of utmp and wtmp

    Barry Margolin wrote:
    > In article
    > <0fbbb743-96dd-4041-ac9c-953231c32964@s12g2000prg.googlegroups.com>,
    > lak wrote:
    >
    >> I am a normal user. Whenever I am login my login date and time is
    >> stored in the utmp.
    >> I want to disable that?
    >> How?

    > I don't think you can. Even the superuser can't prevent it from being
    > written by login, although he modify it once he's logged in. But
    > ordinary users don't have permission to modify utmp and wtmp.

    I think the superuser can replace login with a different program that doesn't
    write it, but not for his current login.

  4. Re: updation of utmp and wtmp

    lak wrote:
    > I am a normal user. Whenever I am login my login date and time is
    > stored in the utmp.
    > I want to disable that?
    > How?

    Turn off the machine's power before logging in.

    --
    Eric Sosman
    esosman@ieee-dot-org.invalid

+ Reply to Thread