Effect on Performance from recvFrom - Unix

This is a discussion on Effect on Performance from recvFrom - Unix ; I would like to know how effective is call for recvFrom. "recvFrom" system call took large amount of time when compared to other processing as per the report given by gProf. I believe i can trust gprof. I would like ...

  1. Effect on Performance from recvFrom

    I would like to know how effective is call for recvFrom. "recvFrom"
    system call took large amount of time when compared to other
    processing as per the report given by gProf. I believe i can trust
    gprof. I would like to know the best usage of recvFrom system call.

  2. Re: Effect on Performance from recvFrom

    On Mar 2, 10:08 pm, Madhur wrote:

    > I would like to know how effective is call for recvFrom. "recvFrom"
    > system call took large amount of time when compared to other
    > processing as per the report given by gProf. I believe i can trust
    > gprof. I would like to know the best usage of recvFrom system call.

    This is most likely a good thing. Your program spent most of its time
    waiting for work to do.

    DS

  3. Re: Effect on Performance from recvFrom

    Madhur wrote:
    > I would like to know how effective is call for recvFrom. "recvFrom"
    > system call took large amount of time when compared to other
    > processing as per the report given by gProf. I believe i can trust
    > gprof. I would like to know the best usage of recvFrom system call.

    So long as gprof was giving CPU time and not wall-clock time. If it
    was giving wall-clock time, it could simply be that you were blocked
    in recvfrom() waiting for data to arrive.

    rick jones