how to avoid disconnection from remote login - Unix

This is a discussion on how to avoid disconnection from remote login - Unix ; I am using telnet/rlogin/ssh to login to a remote machine. if connection is idle for sometime remote machine disconnect the connection and i have to login again. is there anyway to avoid this disconnection ?...

  1. how to avoid disconnection from remote login

    I am using telnet/rlogin/ssh to login to a remote machine.
    if connection is idle for sometime remote machine disconnect the
    connection and i have to login again.
    is there anyway to avoid this disconnection ?

  2. Re: how to avoid disconnection from remote login

    Dhirendra Singh wrote:
    > I am using telnet/rlogin/ssh to login to a remote machine.
    > if connection is idle for sometime remote machine disconnect the
    > connection and i have to login again.
    > is there anyway to avoid this disconnection ?

    Your telnet/SSH client should have a setting to send a NO-OP every
    minute or so to keep the session open.

    Beyond that, you'll have to tell us which version of Unix/Linux/BSD etc.
    the servers are using to give you server settings to change.

    SCO Authorized Partner
    Microlite BackupEdge Certified Reseller
    (209) 745-1401 Cell: (209) 251-9120
    E-mail: patubb@inreach.com

  3. Re: how to avoid disconnection from remote login

    Is there any option in ssh to send no-op to remote machine ?
    I went through the man page but did not find any thing interesting.
    Unix version is HP-UX B.11.23 U ia64

    Thanks,
    Dhirendra.

  4. Re: how to avoid disconnection from remote login

    Dhirendra Singh wrote:
    > Is there any option in ssh to send no-op to remote machine ?
    > I went through the man page but did not find any thing interesting.
    > Unix version is HP-UX B.11.23 U ia64
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Dhirendra.

    I'm not familiar with that version of HP-UX, the last one I actively
    worked on was 9.0.

    But what are you using to access the Unix system? If it's a window or
    linux terminal emulator program like SCRT, Tiny Term, Anzio, PowerTerm
    etc. There may be a NO-OP option in their respective setups.

    SCO Authorized Partner
    Microlite BackupEdge Certified Reseller
    (209) 745-1401 Cell: (209) 251-9120
    E-mail: patubb@inreach.com

  5. Re: how to avoid disconnection from remote login

    On 2008-02-29, Dhirendra Singh wrote:
    > is there anyway to avoid this disconnection ?

    try:

    unset TMOUT

+ Reply to Thread