Basic unix commands makes server panic - Unix

This is a discussion on Basic unix commands makes server panic - Unix ; I have a interesting problem. We have a HP/Compaq DL360G2 running Solaris 7. We were having an issue where anytime a basic unix command (ls, find, as well as tar) of the /etc directory where output is written to the ...

  1. Basic unix commands makes server panic

    I have a interesting problem. We have a HP/Compaq DL360G2 running
    Solaris 7. We were having an issue where anytime a basic unix command
    (ls, find, as well as tar) of the /etc directory where output is
    written to the screen would make the server CPU panic and reboot.
    While doing troubleshooting here is what I found:
    1) This wouldn't happen if you did the command from the console.
    2) I had an idea to rebuild the server and when I did, the issue went
    away until I installed Veritas NetBackup client and the issue started
    again. So I believed that Veritas could have been causing this, until
    I couldn't do a tar on the /etc folder again. Strangely I could still
    do a "ls" and a "find" on the /etc directory. This is making me think
    that whatever the issue is something about the Veritas client install
    accellerates the issue.

    I am really lost as to what to do next or as to what could be causing
    this. I installed the correct version of Solaris 7 (X86), and are up
    to date on all security patches. Any help is appreciated.

  2. Re: Basic unix commands makes server panic

    On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 15:18:03 -0800 (PST), x_predator89 wrote:
    > I have a interesting problem. We have a HP/Compaq DL360G2 running
    > Solaris 7. We were having an issue where anytime a basic unix command
    > (ls, find, as well as tar) of the /etc directory where output is
    > written to the screen would make the server CPU panic and reboot.
    > While doing troubleshooting here is what I found:
    > 1) This wouldn't happen if you did the command from the console.

    That doesn't make sense...yet

    > 2) I had an idea to rebuild the server and when I did, the issue went
    > away until I installed Veritas NetBackup client and the issue started
    > again. So I believed that Veritas could have been causing this, until
    > I couldn't do a tar on the /etc folder again. Strangely I could still
    > do a "ls" and a "find" on the /etc directory. This is making me think
    > that whatever the issue is something about the Veritas client install
    > accellerates the issue.

    Solaris7 is past end of life, isn't it? I don't think new patches are
    being released for it but, is the system fully patched with the latest
    patch bundles from Sun?

    > I am really lost as to what to do next or as to what could be causing
    > this. I installed the correct version of Solaris 7 (X86), and are up
    > to date on all security patches. Any help is appreciated.

    How about the rest of the patches?

  3. Re: Basic unix commands makes server panic

    x_predator89 writes:

    >I have a interesting problem. We have a HP/Compaq DL360G2 running
    >Solaris 7. We were having an issue where anytime a basic unix command
    >(ls, find, as well as tar) of the /etc directory where output is
    >written to the screen would make the server CPU panic and reboot.
    >While doing troubleshooting here is what I found:
    >1) This wouldn't happen if you did the command from the console.

    The screen being different from the console?

    Did you save a kernel crash dump?

    If there's nothing in /var/crash/* then you can still run "savecore ."
    someplace in the filesystem with plenty of room.

    >2) I had an idea to rebuild the server and when I did, the issue went
    >away until I installed Veritas NetBackup client and the issue started
    >again. So I believed that Veritas could have been causing this, until
    >I couldn't do a tar on the /etc folder again. Strangely I could still
    >do a "ls" and a "find" on the /etc directory. This is making me think
    >that whatever the issue is something about the Veritas client install
    >accellerates the issue.

    >I am really lost as to what to do next or as to what could be causing
    >this. I installed the correct version of Solaris 7 (X86), and are up
    >to date on all security patches. Any help is appreciated.

    Get a stack trace from the crash dump.

    Casper
    be fiction rather than truth.

  4. Re: Basic unix commands makes server panic

    On Jan 11, 8:48*am, Casper H.S. Dik wrote:
    > x_predator89 writes:
    > >I have a interesting problem. We have a HP/Compaq DL360G2 running
    > >Solaris 7. We were having an issue where anytime a basic unix command
    > >(ls, find, as well as tar) of the /etc directory where output is
    > >written to the screen would make the server CPU panic and reboot.
    > >While doing troubleshooting here is what I found:
    > >1) This wouldn't happen if you did the command from the console.

    > The screen being different from the console?
    >
    > Did you save a kernel crash dump?
    >
    > If there's nothing in /var/crash/* then you can still run "savecore ."
    > someplace in the filesystem with plenty of room.
    >
    > >2) I had an idea to rebuild the server and when I did, the issue went
    > >away until I installed Veritas NetBackup client and the issue started
    > >again. So I believed that Veritas could have been causing this, until
    > >I couldn't do a tar on the /etc folder again. Strangely I could still
    > >do a "ls" and a "find" on the /etc directory. This is making me think
    > >that whatever the issue is something about the Veritas client install
    > >accellerates the issue.
    > >I am really lost as to what to do next or as to what could be causing
    > >this. I installed the correct version of Solaris 7 (X86), and are up
    > >to date on all security patches. Any help is appreciated.

    > Get a stack trace from the crash dump.
    >
    > Casper
    > --
    > Expressed in this posting are my opinions. *They are in no way related
    > to opinions held by my employer, Sun Microsystems.
    > Statements on Sun products included here are not gospel and may
    > be fiction rather than truth.

    Is there something wrong with the solaris kernel?

  5. Re: Basic unix commands makes server panic

    On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 10:35:45 -0800 (PST), allen.darrin@gmail.com wrote:
    > On Jan 11, 8:48*am, Casper H.S. Dik wrote:

    >> The screen being different from the console?
    >> Did you save a kernel crash dump?
    >> If there's nothing in /var/crash/* then you can still run "savecore ."
    >> someplace in the filesystem with plenty of room.

    >> Get a stack trace from the crash dump.

    > Is there something wrong with the solaris kernel?

    You're running Solaris 7, which is very old and end-of-life. Yup,
    there's probably bugs. Casper's suggestion is a way to find out if you
    have enough information to identify which bug may have bit you.

    Is upgrading to a supported version of solaris an option? 1998 was a
    very long time ago in computing terms.

  6. Re: Basic unix commands makes server panic

    Dave Hinz wrote:
    > x_predator89 wrote:
    >
    > > I have a interesting problem. We have a HP/Compaq DL360G2 running
    > > Solaris 7. We were having an issue where anytime a basic unix command
    > > (ls, find, as well as tar) of the /etc directory where output is
    > > written to the screen would make the server CPU panic and reboot.
    > > While doing troubleshooting here is what I found:
    > > 1) This wouldn't happen if you did the command from the console.

    > That doesn't make sense...yet
    >
    > > 2) I had an idea to rebuild the server and when I did, the issue went
    > > away until I installed Veritas NetBackup client and the issue started
    > > again. So I believed that Veritas could have been causing this, until
    > > I couldn't do a tar on the /etc folder again. Strangely I could still
    > > do a "ls" and a "find" on the /etc directory. This is making me think
    > > that whatever the issue is something about the Veritas client install
    > > accellerates the issue.

    > Solaris7 is past end of life, isn't it? *I don't think new patches are
    > being released for it but, is the system fully patched with the latest
    > patch bundles from Sun?

    Check $PATH and find out which tar is in use. The Veritas software
    comes with a copy of tar. I suspect the problem is a corrupt Veritas
    client install.

    > > I am really lost as to what to do next or as to what could be causing
    > > this. I installed the correct version of Solaris 7 (X86), and are up
    > > to date on all security patches. Any help is appreciated.

    > How about the rest of the patches?

    Solaris 7 is old and maybe a more recent Veritas package was
    installed. The tar from a Solaris 9 or 10 client just might cause
    panics.

  7. Re: Basic unix commands makes server panic

    Doug Freyburger wrote:
    > Dave Hinz wrote:
    > > x_predator89 wrote:
    > >
    > > > I have a interesting problem. We have a HP/Compaq DL360G2 running
    > > > Solaris 7. We were having an issue where anytime a basic unix command
    > > > (ls, find, as well as tar) of the /etc directory where output is
    > > > written to the screen would make the server CPU panic and reboot.
    > > > While doing troubleshooting here is what I found:
    > > > 1) This wouldn't happen if you did the command from the console.

    > > That doesn't make sense...yet
    > >
    > > > 2) I had an idea to rebuild the server and when I did, the issue went
    > > > away until I installed Veritas NetBackup client and the issue started
    > > > again. So I believed that Veritas could have been causing this, until
    > > > I couldn't do a tar on the /etc folder again. Strangely I could still
    > > > do a "ls" and a "find" on the /etc directory. This is making me think
    > > > that whatever the issue is something about the Veritas client install
    > > > accellerates the issue.

    > > Solaris7 is past end of life, isn't it? �I don't think new patches are
    > > being released for it but, is the system fully patched with the latest
    > > patch bundles from Sun?

    > Check $PATH and find out which tar is in use. The Veritas software
    > comes with a copy of tar. I suspect the problem is a corrupt Veritas
    > client install.
    >
    > > > I am really lost as to what to do next or as to what could be causing
    > > > this. I installed the correct version of Solaris 7 (X86), and are up
    > > > to date on all security patches. Any help is appreciated.

    > > How about the rest of the patches?

    > Solaris 7 is old and maybe a more recent Veritas package was
    > installed. The tar from a Solaris 9 or 10 client just might cause
    > panics.

    Thanks everyone for the responses. Since Sun EOL'd this a while ago I
    guess since they can't help me with reading the core dump, I have
    decided to attempt to convince my company to upgrade the server and
    the OS. I am sure they will not do it, but the fact that its difficult
    finding help might help convince them to upgrade. Once again thanks
    all for the suggestions, it was fun learning about all the gruesome
    details of the OS and veritas.

  8. Re: Basic unix commands makes server panic

    On Jan 29, 6:58 pm, x_predator89 wrote:
    > Doug Freyburger wrote:
    > > Dave Hinz wrote:

    > > > That doesn't make sense...yet

    > > > Solaris7 is past end of life, isn't it? �I don't think new patches are
    > > > being released for it but, is the system fully patched with the latest
    > > > patch bundles from Sun?

    > > Check $PATH and find out which tar is in use. The Veritas software
    > > comes with a copy of tar. I suspect the problem is a corrupt Veritas
    > > client install.

    > > > How about the rest of the patches?

    > > Solaris 7 is old and maybe a more recent Veritas package was
    > > installed. The tar from a Solaris 9 or 10 client just might cause
    > > panics.

    > Thanks everyone for the responses. Since Sun EOL'd this a while ago I
    > guess since they can't help me with reading the core dump, I have
    > decided to attempt to convince my company to upgrade the server and
    > the OS. I am sure they will not do it, but the fact that its difficult
    > finding help might help convince them to upgrade. Once again thanks
    > all for the suggestions, it was fun learning about all the gruesome
    > details of the OS and veritas.

    My guess would be a hardware problem.
    Maybe the filesystem.

+ Reply to Thread