what else after motif? - Unix

This is a discussion on what else after motif? - Unix ; Hello, I'm a beginner Unix programmer. I have to write some C code containing a gui. I though to use Motif libraries. My question is if they are tool old or if it is worthy to be learned. However, beside ...

  1. what else after motif?

    Hello,
    I'm a beginner Unix programmer. I have to write some C code containing
    a gui. I though to use Motif libraries. My question is if they are
    tool old or if it is worthy to be learned.
    However, beside Motif library, nowadays, are there newer and better
    libraries available for developers?

    Thank you,

    Camelot

  2. Re: what else after motif?

    Begin <1479ed00-55a1-4281-bc6f-da85aba116b9@f47g2000hsd.googlegroups.com>
    On Wed, 9 Jan 2008 02:53:31 -0800 (PST), camelot wrote:
    > I'm a beginner Unix programmer. I have to write some C code containing
    > a gui. I though to use Motif libraries. My question is if they are
    > tool old or if it is worthy to be learned.
    > However, beside Motif library, nowadays, are there newer and better
    > libraries available for developers?

    There are plenty widget toolkits around, with all sorts of different
    tradeoffs. Which is better is often very subjective. Better for the
    programmer does not guarantee better for the user.

    Altough personally I haven't had to write a gui so far, I can say
    something about having to compile and install lots and lots of extra
    libraries to install some program. I despise it and do my best to avoid
    it. It's one reason why I stay away from all things gnome and kde. The
    one exception is firefox for obvious reasons.

    I can add another observation, which is that while the choice of gui
    support libraries has all sorts of implications, it is not at all a
    guarantee of good interface design. Compare, for example, xpdf (using
    motif) and djview (using qt). I vastly prefer the interface xpdf
    presents as it is much more usable to me, despite looking boring.

    Anyhow, there are many toolkits around, see for example [1]. They vary
    in different feature sets, different options, different approaches as to
    how one should write programs with them, and different looks, of course.
    Which is better for you, your project, or the users of your project, I
    can't say, so all I can advise is to try to write a program with a few.

    [1] http://www.free-soft.org/guitool/

  3. Re: what else after motif?

    > [1]http://www.free-soft.org/guitool/
    >
    > --
    > * j p d (at) d s b (dot) t u d e l f t (dot) n l .
    > * This message was originally posted on Usenet in plain text.
    > * Any other representation, additions, or changes do not have my
    > * consent and may be a violation of international copyright law.

    Very useful link. Thank you a lot.

    Camelot

+ Reply to Thread