What happens to a message that has been read from message queue by aprocess? - Unix

This is a discussion on What happens to a message that has been read from message queue by aprocess? - Unix ; Hi, I would like to know if more than one process can send/recv on a message queue.(Vxworks allows this) What happens to a message after it is read by a process? Thanks, asm...

  1. What happens to a message that has been read from message queue by aprocess?

    Hi,

    I would like to know if more than one process can send/recv on a
    message queue.(Vxworks allows this) What happens to a message after it
    is read by a process?

    Thanks,
    asm

  2. Re: What happens to a message that has been read from message queueby a process?

    On Jan 11, 1:05 am, arut wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I would like to know if more than one process can send/recv on a
    > message queue.(Vxworks allows this) What happens to a message after it
    > is read by a process?

    Whats you mean of message queue? Domain socket?

    AFAIK, the Vxworks and UNIX is just two different things.

  3. Re: What happens to a message that has been read from message queue by a process?

    In article
    <62ece635-2e32-44c2-9f5c-25e0eee561eb@21g2000hsj.googlegroups.com>,
    Bin Chen wrote:

    > On Jan 11, 1:05 am, arut wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I would like to know if more than one process can send/recv on a
    > > message queue.(Vxworks allows this) What happens to a message after it
    > > is read by a process?
    > >

    > Whats you mean of message queue? Domain socket?
    >
    > AFAIK, the Vxworks and UNIX is just two different things.

    Presumably he means System V Message Queues: msgget(2), msgctl(2),
    msgsnd(2), msgrcv(2).

    Any number of processes can send/receive on a message queue. But a
    message can only be received once -- it's removed from the queue when a
    receiver reads it.

    --
    Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    Arlington, MA