Solaris10 ntp - Unix

This is a discussion on Solaris10 ntp - Unix ; I'm tryint to set up ntp on Solaris10. I successfully installed ntp-4.2.4p4-sol10-sparc-local but I don't have startup scripts. $ sudo find / -name xntpd -print /usr/lib/inet/xntpd /home/src/10_Recommended/120011-14/SUNWntpu/reloc/usr/lib/inet/xntpd /home/.patchSafeModeOrigFiles/usr/lib/inet/xntpd...

  1. Solaris10 ntp

    I'm tryint to set up ntp on Solaris10.

    I successfully installed ntp-4.2.4p4-sol10-sparc-local but I don't
    have startup scripts.

    $ sudo find / -name xntpd -print
    /usr/lib/inet/xntpd
    /home/src/10_Recommended/120011-14/SUNWntpu/reloc/usr/lib/inet/xntpd
    /home/.patchSafeModeOrigFiles/usr/lib/inet/xntpd

  2. Re: Solaris10 ntp

    On Jan 9, 2:10*pm, jammer wrote:
    > I'm tryint to set *up ntp on Solaris10.
    >
    > I *successfully installed ntp-4.2.4p4-sol10-sparc-local *but I don't
    > have startup scripts.
    >
    > $ sudo find / -name xntpd -print
    > /usr/lib/inet/xntpd
    > /home/src/10_Recommended/120011-14/SUNWntpu/reloc/usr/lib/inet/xntpd
    > /home/.patchSafeModeOrigFiles/usr/lib/inet/xntpd

    Solaris 10 now uses svcadm not startup scripts. "svcs -a | grep -i
    ntp"

  3. Re: Solaris10 ntp

    On Jan 9, 3:19 pm, Doug Freyburger wrote:
    > On Jan 9, 2:10 pm, jammer wrote:
    >
    > > I'm tryint to set up ntp on Solaris10.

    > > I successfully installed ntp-4.2.4p4-sol10-sparc-local but I don't
    > > have startup scripts.

    > > $ sudo find / -name xntpd -print
    > > /usr/lib/inet/xntpd
    > > /home/src/10_Recommended/120011-14/SUNWntpu/reloc/usr/lib/inet/xntpd
    > > /home/.patchSafeModeOrigFiles/usr/lib/inet/xntpd

    > Solaris 10 now uses svcadm not startup scripts. "svcs -a | grep -i
    > ntp"

    Thanks.
    It is annoying that there is stuff in /etc/init.d :-(

  4. Re: Solaris10 ntp

    jammer writes:

    >Thanks.
    >It is annoying that there is stuff in /etc/init.d :-(

    All in the name of the sacred backward compatibility.

    Casper
    be fiction rather than truth.

  5. Re: Solaris10 ntp

    On Jan 10, 5:42 am, Casper H.S. Dik wrote:
    > jammer writes:
    > >Thanks.
    > >It is annoying that there is stuff in /etc/init.d :-(

    > All in the name of the sacred backward compatibility.
    >
    > Casper
    > --
    > Expressed in this posting are my opinions. They are in no way related
    > to opinions held by my employer, Sun Microsystems.
    > Statements on Sun products included here are not gospel and may
    > be fiction rather than truth.

    It sent me down the wrong track.
    It should ALL be in 1 or 2 places.

  6. Re: Solaris10 ntp

    jammer writes:

    >On Jan 10, 5:42 am, Casper H.S. Dik wrote:
    >> jammer writes:
    >> >Thanks.
    >> >It is annoying that there is stuff in /etc/init.d :-(

    >> All in the name of the sacred backward compatibility.
    >>
    >> Casper
    >> --
    >> Expressed in this posting are my opinions. They are in no way related
    >> to opinions held by my employer, Sun Microsystems.
    >> Statements on Sun products included here are not gospel and may
    >> be fiction rather than truth.

    >It sent me down the wrong track.
    >It should ALL be in 1 or 2 places.

    That means you can never change anything like that in a compatible
    manner.

    Reawd the release documentation when wotking on a new release.

    Casper
    be fiction rather than truth.

  7. Re: Solaris10 ntp

    On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 05:52:22 -0800, jammer wrote:

    > On Jan 10, 5:42 am, Casper H.S. Dik wrote:
    >> jammer writes:
    >> >Thanks.
    >> >It is annoying that there is stuff in /etc/init.d :-(

    >> All in the name of the sacred backward compatibility.
    >>
    >> Casper
    >> --
    >> Expressed in this posting are my opinions. They are in no way related
    >> to opinions held by my employer, Sun Microsystems. Statements on Sun
    >> products included here are not gospel and may be fiction rather than
    >> truth.

    > It sent me down the wrong track.
    > It should ALL be in 1 or 2 places.

    Really? Have you tried to set up a service using the new "improved"
    way? I have a need to run two ssh daemons on my various Unix boxen.
    Under Solaris 8-9 and Linux, it is a piece of cake, using the /etc/init.d
    structure. Even under AIX it's easy; even though it doesn't use /etc/
    init.d, its proprietary structure is well documented and easy to use.
    For Solaris 10, I RTFM'ed the svcs documents, and being a poor country
    SA, not an XML guru, I pounded my head to a bloody pulp trying to figure
    out its syntax, in order to do things the "Solaris" way. I eventually
    punted and put my second ssh daemon startup in /etc/init.d. svcs employs
    only the finest write-only code.

  8. Re: Solaris10 ntp

    "F. Michael Orr" wrote:

    > Really? *Have you tried to set up a service using the new "improved"
    > way?

    I have. I struggle every time I use it.

    > I have a need to run two ssh daemons on my various Unix boxen. *
    > Under Solaris 8-9 and Linux, it is a piece of cake, using the /etc/init.d
    > structure.

    And HPUX under /sbin and so on from vendor to vendor.

    > Even under AIX it's easy; even though it doesn't use /etc/
    > init.d, its proprietary structure is well documented and easy to use.

    ssh is not installed by default on AIX. I found that strange.

    > For Solaris 10, I RTFM'ed the svcs documents, and being a poor country
    > SA, not an XML guru, I pounded my head to a bloody pulp trying to figure
    > out its syntax, in order to do things the "Solaris" way.

    I was able to read the man page, but like any man page it told
    me the syntax of the command line and what other commands to
    look at.

    > I eventually
    > punted and put my second ssh daemon startup in /etc/init.d. *svcs employs
    > only the finest write-only code.

    I'm still looking for a tutorial on how to use the service commands in
    general. What is that syntax with the slashes and the colons. What
    does the hierarchy mean in the naming scheme. Why are network
    services mixed with local services mixed with stuff that doesn't
    appear
    to be services. Man pages teach the how but not the why. Tutorials
    teach the why. Sun, please RTFT!

  9. Re: Solaris10 ntp

    On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 05:52:22 -0800 (PST), jammer wrote:
    > On Jan 10, 5:42 am, Casper H.S. Dik wrote:
    >> jammer writes:
    >>
    >> All in the name of the sacred backward compatibility.

    > It sent me down the wrong track.
    > It should ALL be in 1 or 2 places.

    Really? Then how do you propose existing applications be moved to newer
    server and OS without a complete rearchitecture?

+ Reply to Thread