Zipping 3+ Gb file in Solaris environment - Unix

This is a discussion on Zipping 3+ Gb file in Solaris environment - Unix ; Hi, Does anyone know where I can download a Zip 64-bit utility in Solaris OS, e.g., 8 or 10 ? I need to zip a 3+ gb size file. We could not use "gzip" or "compress" utility. The current zip ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

  1. Zipping 3+ Gb file in Solaris environment

    Hi,

    Does anyone know where I can download a Zip 64-bit utility in
    Solaris OS, e.g., 8 or 10 ?
    I need to zip a 3+ gb size file. We could not use "gzip" or
    "compress" utility. The current zip program at our server cannot zip
    any file over 2gb in size.

    Thanks,

    Bill

  2. Re: Zipping 3+ Gb file in Solaris environment

    wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Does anyone know where I can download a Zip 64-bit utility in
    > Solaris OS, e.g., 8 or 10 ?
    > I need to zip a 3+ gb size file. We could not use "gzip" or
    > "compress" utility. The current zip program at our server cannot zip
    > any file over 2gb in size.
    >

    > Thanks,
    >
    > Bill

    You can split the file and zip it.
    So the size of the file will get reduced ( below 2GB )

  3. Re: Zipping 3+ Gb file in Solaris environment

    wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Does anyone know where I can download a Zip 64-bit utility in
    > Solaris OS, e.g., 8 or 10 ?
    > I need to zip a 3+ gb size file. We could not use "gzip" or
    > "compress" utility. The current zip program at our server cannot zip
    > any file over 2gb in size.
    >

    > Thanks,
    >
    > Bill

    You can split the file and zip it.
    So the size of the file will get reduced ( below 2GB )

  4. Re: Zipping 3+ Gb file in Solaris environment

    underh20.scubadiving@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Does anyone know where I can download a Zip 64-bit utility in
    > Solaris OS, e.g., 8 or 10 ?
    > I need to zip a 3+ gb size file. We could not use "gzip" or
    > "compress" utility. The current zip program at our server cannot zip
    > any file over 2gb in size.

    Either use gzip (any good reason why you can't?) or split the file.

    --
    Ian Collins.

  5. Re: Zipping 3+ Gb file in Solaris environment

    underh20.scubadiving@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Does anyone know where I can download a Zip 64-bit utility in
    > Solaris OS, e.g., 8 or 10 ?
    > I need to zip a 3+ gb size file. We could not use "gzip" or
    > "compress" utility. The current zip program at our server cannot zip
    > any file over 2gb in size.

    Either use gzip (any good reason why you can't?) or split the file.

    --
    Ian Collins.

  6. Re: Zipping 3+ Gb file in Solaris environment

    On Mon, 7 Jan 2008 17:31:19 -0800 (PST), underh20.scubadiving@gmail.com wrote:
    | Hi,
    |
    | Does anyone know where I can download a Zip 64-bit utility in
    | Solaris OS, e.g., 8 or 10 ?
    | I need to zip a 3+ gb size file. We could not use "gzip" or
    | "compress" utility. The current zip program at our server cannot zip
    | any file over 2gb in size.

    Try something like:

    cat file | gzip > file.gz

    Doing the compression from standard input to standard output bypasses
    the large file offset problems that you seem to be encountering.

    --
    Reverend Paul Colquhoun, ULC. http://andor.dropbear.id.au/~paulcol
    Asking for technical help in newsgroups? Read this first:

  7. Re: Zipping 3+ Gb file in Solaris environment

    On Mon, 7 Jan 2008 17:31:19 -0800 (PST), underh20.scubadiving@gmail.com wrote:
    | Hi,
    |
    | Does anyone know where I can download a Zip 64-bit utility in
    | Solaris OS, e.g., 8 or 10 ?
    | I need to zip a 3+ gb size file. We could not use "gzip" or
    | "compress" utility. The current zip program at our server cannot zip
    | any file over 2gb in size.

    Try something like:

    cat file | gzip > file.gz

    Doing the compression from standard input to standard output bypasses
    the large file offset problems that you seem to be encountering.

    --
    Reverend Paul Colquhoun, ULC. http://andor.dropbear.id.au/~paulcol
    Asking for technical help in newsgroups? Read this first:
    http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#intro

  8. Re: Zipping 3+ Gb file in Solaris environment

    Paul Colquhoun writes:

    > On Mon, 7 Jan 2008 17:31:19 -0800 (PST), underh20.scubadiving@gmail.com wrote:
    > | Hi,
    > |
    > | Does anyone know where I can download a Zip 64-bit utility in
    > | Solaris OS, e.g., 8 or 10 ?
    > | I need to zip a 3+ gb size file. We could not use "gzip" or
    > | "compress" utility. The current zip program at our server cannot zip
    > | any file over 2gb in size.
    >

    > Try something like:
    >
    > cat file | gzip > file.gz
    >
    > Doing the compression from standard input to standard output bypasses
    > the large file offset problems that you seem to be encountering.

    The manual page for zip indicates that you can use it similarly for
    single files

    zip < bigfile > bigfile.zip

    Also the .gz above should be a valid zip-file with a single member.

    --
    Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen

  9. Re: Zipping 3+ Gb file in Solaris environment

    Paul Colquhoun writes:

    > On Mon, 7 Jan 2008 17:31:19 -0800 (PST), underh20.scubadiving@gmail.com wrote:
    > | Hi,
    > |
    > | Does anyone know where I can download a Zip 64-bit utility in
    > | Solaris OS, e.g., 8 or 10 ?
    > | I need to zip a 3+ gb size file. We could not use "gzip" or
    > | "compress" utility. The current zip program at our server cannot zip
    > | any file over 2gb in size.
    >

    > Try something like:
    >
    > cat file | gzip > file.gz
    >
    > Doing the compression from standard input to standard output bypasses
    > the large file offset problems that you seem to be encountering.

    The manual page for zip indicates that you can use it similarly for
    single files

    zip < bigfile > bigfile.zip

    Also the .gz above should be a valid zip-file with a single member.

    --
    Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen

  10. Re: Zipping 3+ Gb file in Solaris environment

    On Jan 7, 8:55 pm, Ian Collins wrote:
    > underh20.scubadiv...@gmail.com wrote:
    > > Does anyone know where I can download a Zip 64-bit utility in
    > > Solaris OS, e.g., 8 or 10 ?
    > > I need to zip a 3+ gb size file. We could not use "gzip" or
    > > "compress" utility. The current zip program at our server cannot zip
    > > any file over 2gb in size.

    > Either use gzip (any good reason why you can't?) or split the file.
    > Ian Collins.

    Actually I had a similar problem squeezing a VMWare Solaris 10 u4
    "appliance"
    I made which was 5GB in size. zip gzip etc all failed. I wanted to put
    the lot
    on a DVD so's to turn on a pal to Solaris. But zip wouldnt compress
    the file.
    So, I compiled a 64 bit version of zip but neither WinBlow$ or /usr/
    bin/unzip could unpack it : /
    bzip2 works fine unpacking in both universes though. Took the DVD over
    and
    used winrar (free demo) to unpack and now he's got Solaris 10 running.

  11. Re: Zipping 3+ Gb file in Solaris environment

    On Jan 7, 8:55 pm, Ian Collins wrote:
    > underh20.scubadiv...@gmail.com wrote:
    > > Does anyone know where I can download a Zip 64-bit utility in
    > > Solaris OS, e.g., 8 or 10 ?
    > > I need to zip a 3+ gb size file. We could not use "gzip" or
    > > "compress" utility. The current zip program at our server cannot zip
    > > any file over 2gb in size.

    > Either use gzip (any good reason why you can't?) or split the file.
    > Ian Collins.

    Actually I had a similar problem squeezing a VMWare Solaris 10 u4
    "appliance"
    I made which was 5GB in size. zip gzip etc all failed. I wanted to put
    the lot
    on a DVD so's to turn on a pal to Solaris. But zip wouldnt compress
    the file.
    So, I compiled a 64 bit version of zip but neither WinBlow$ or /usr/
    bin/unzip could unpack it : /
    bzip2 works fine unpacking in both universes though. Took the DVD over
    and
    used winrar (free demo) to unpack and now he's got Solaris 10 running.

  12. Re: Zipping 3+ Gb file in Solaris environment

    In article <300f4587-0656-4fe6-9cdd-2e8dc88aac0a@n20g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>,
    wrote:
    >Hi,
    >
    > Does anyone know where I can download a Zip 64-bit utility in
    >Solaris OS, e.g., 8 or 10 ?
    >I need to zip a 3+ gb size file. We could not use "gzip" or
    >"compress" utility. The current zip program at our server cannot zip
    >any file over 2gb in size.
    >

    >Thanks,
    >
    >Bill

    Try /usr/java/bin/sparcv9/jar

    -Raf

  13. Re: Zipping 3+ Gb file in Solaris environment

    wrote:
    >Hi,
    >
    > Does anyone know where I can download a Zip 64-bit utility in
    >Solaris OS, e.g., 8 or 10 ?
    >I need to zip a 3+ gb size file. We could not use "gzip" or
    >"compress" utility. The current zip program at our server cannot zip
    >any file over 2gb in size.
    >

    >Thanks,
    >
    >Bill

    Try /usr/java/bin/sparcv9/jar

    -Raf

  14. Re: Zipping 3+ Gb file in Solaris environment

    On Jan 7, 5:31 pm, underh20.scubadiv...@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Does anyone know where I can download a Zip 64-bit utility in
    > Solaris OS, e.g., 8 or 10 ?
    > I need to zip a 3+ gb size file. We could not use "gzip" or
    > "compress" utility. The current zip program at our server cannot zip
    > any file over 2gb in size.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Bill

    Bill,

    It's not it's 64 bitness that allows you to work on 2+ gig files per
    se (although it helps). The binary (32 big executables) needs to be
    largefile aware. According to the largefile man page the compress
    utility is largefile aware (although it give lousy compression vs.
    gzip or bzip2) in Solaris 9 and gzip is in Solaris 10.

    Thanks
    --Brett Monroe

  15. Re: Zipping 3+ Gb file in Solaris environment

    On Jan 7, 5:31 pm, underh20.scubadiv...@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Does anyone know where I can download a Zip 64-bit utility in
    > Solaris OS, e.g., 8 or 10 ?
    > I need to zip a 3+ gb size file. We could not use "gzip" or
    > "compress" utility. The current zip program at our server cannot zip
    > any file over 2gb in size.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Bill

    Bill,

    It's not it's 64 bitness that allows you to work on 2+ gig files per
    se (although it helps). The binary (32 big executables) needs to be
    largefile aware. According to the largefile man page the compress
    utility is largefile aware (although it give lousy compression vs.
    gzip or bzip2) in Solaris 9 and gzip is in Solaris 10.

    Thanks
    --Brett Monroe

  16. Re: Zipping 3+ Gb file in Solaris environment

    ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.unix.questions.]
    On Tue, 08 Jan 2008 08:33:48 +0100, Thorbjoern Ravn Andersen
    wrote:
    > Also the .gz above should be a valid zip-file with a single member.

    Not quite. gzip does not generate zip files, although it can
    _decompress_ a single-member (deflated) zip file.

    --
    Mikko Rauhala - mjr@iki.fi - http://www.iki.fi/mjr/ >
    Transhumanist - WTA member - http://transhumanism.org/ >

  17. Re: Zipping 3+ Gb file in Solaris environment

    wrote:
    > Also the .gz above should be a valid zip-file with a single member.

    Not quite. gzip does not generate zip files, although it can
    _decompress_ a single-member (deflated) zip file.

    --
    Mikko Rauhala - mjr@iki.fi - http://www.iki.fi/mjr/ >
    Transhumanist - WTA member - http://transhumanism.org/ >
    Singularitarian - SIAI supporter - http://singinst.org/ >

  18. Re: Zipping 3+ Gb file in Solaris environment

    underh20.scubadiving@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Does anyone know where I can download a Zip 64-bit utility in
    > Solaris OS, e.g., 8 or 10 ?
    > I need to zip a 3+ gb size file. We could not use "gzip" or
    > "compress" utility. The current zip program at our server cannot zip
    > any file over 2gb in size.
    >

    > Thanks,
    >
    > Bill

    If you are able to build from source then make the latest BETA version
    of zip:

    http://sourceforge.net/projects/infozip/

    This will build large .zip files which include +2GB files and they
    extract OK with WinZip on MS Windows.

    The beta zip seems to work.

    I had problems with the beta unzip utility on solaris (sparc) where it
    will not read a .zip archive > 2GB. Not had time to debug code yet or
    look at the issue (possibly I did not build it right, need to recheck,
    but it was very easy).

    John.

  19. Re: Zipping 3+ Gb file in Solaris environment

    underh20.scubadiving@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Does anyone know where I can download a Zip 64-bit utility in
    > Solaris OS, e.g., 8 or 10 ?
    > I need to zip a 3+ gb size file. We could not use "gzip" or
    > "compress" utility. The current zip program at our server cannot zip
    > any file over 2gb in size.
    >

    > Thanks,
    >
    > Bill

    If you are able to build from source then make the latest BETA version
    of zip:

    http://sourceforge.net/projects/infozip/

    This will build large .zip files which include +2GB files and they
    extract OK with WinZip on MS Windows.

    The beta zip seems to work.

    I had problems with the beta unzip utility on solaris (sparc) where it
    will not read a .zip archive > 2GB. Not had time to debug code yet or
    look at the issue (possibly I did not build it right, need to recheck,
    but it was very easy).

    John.

  20. Re: Zipping 3+ Gb file in Solaris environment

    John Doe wrote:
    > underh20.scubadiving@gmail.com wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Does anyone know where I can download a Zip 64-bit utility in
    >> Solaris OS, e.g., 8 or 10 ?
    >> I need to zip a 3+ gb size file. We could not use "gzip" or
    >> "compress" utility. The current zip program at our server cannot zip
    >> any file over 2gb in size.
    >>

    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Bill

    > If you are able to build from source then make the latest BETA version
    > of zip:
    >
    > http://sourceforge.net/projects/infozip/
    >
    > This will build large .zip files which include +2GB files and they
    > extract OK with WinZip on MS Windows.
    >
    > The beta zip seems to work.
    >
    > I had problems with the beta unzip utility on solaris (sparc) where it
    > will not read a .zip archive > 2GB. Not had time to debug code yet or
    > look at the issue (possibly I did not build it right, need to recheck,
    > but it was very easy).
    >
    > John.

    I got unzip working, seems to be a problem with type definitions for
    64-bit unsigned integer. Running with sun CC and an ugly hack to
    unzip60c/unzpriv.h

    *** 1753,1759 ****
    # ifdef __GNUC__
    typedef unsigned long long z_uint8;
    # else
    ! typedef unsigned __int64 z_uint8;
    # endif
    # define Z_UINT8_DEFINED
    # endif
    --- 1753,1760 ----
    # ifdef __GNUC__
    typedef unsigned long long z_uint8;
    # else
    ! typedef unsigned long long z_uint8;
    ! /* typedef unsigned __int64 z_uint8;*/
    # endif
    # define Z_UINT8_DEFINED
    # endif

    And then build using "make -f unix/Makefile generic". This needs a more
    elegant solution but has me up and running with +2GB files.

    John

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast