dsl noob - Unix

This is a discussion on dsl noob - Unix ; I have a Q about linux networking (getting my home pc on the net). Is this the right forum, or is there a better one for that topic? Here's a dump of my current situation: * new ATT/Yahoo dsl service, ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30

  1. dsl noob

    I have a Q about linux networking (getting my home pc on
    the net). Is this the right forum, or is there a better
    one for that topic?

    Here's a dump of my current situation:

    * new ATT/Yahoo dsl service, they said it was up last week
    * dsl modem connected to ethernet card and phone outlet
    * modem's POWER and DSL lights turned green
    * low-pass filters on all telephones & answering machine
    * su'd and ran
    # ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 mtu 1500 up
    # route add -net 192.168.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 dev eth0
    * modem's ETHERNET light turned green
    * Yahoo's installation page says
    "Point your browswer to http://192.168.0.01 to register."
    * Firefox can't find the server at 192.168.0.1.
    * ???

    I've also tried about a million other things but still haven't
    reached Yahoo's registration page. What else could be the
    problem?

    --
    Dan
    www.prairienet.org/~dsb/

  2. Re: dsl noob

    On Dec 17, 12:56 pm, Dan Bensen wrote:
    > I have a Q about linux networking (getting my home pc on
    > the net). Is this the right forum, or is there a better
    > one for that topic?
    >
    > Here's a dump of my current situation:
    >
    > * new ATT/Yahoo dsl service, they said it was up last week
    > * dsl modem connected to ethernet card and phone outlet
    > * modem's POWER and DSL lights turned green
    > * low-pass filters on all telephones & answering machine
    > * su'd and ran
    > # ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 mtu 1500 up
    > # route add -net 192.168.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 dev eth0

    Why these specific commands? More specifically, where did you get the
    192.168.0.1 address from in the first command? What did you expect
    these commands to do?

    > * modem's ETHERNET light turned green
    > * Yahoo's installation page says
    > "Point your browswer tohttp://192.168.0.01to register."
    > * Firefox can't find the server at 192.168.0.1.

    With the ifconfig commands that you say you issued, you assigned the
    address 192.168.0.1 to your own computer. Are you running a web server
    on your own computer? Wny would you (or Yahoo) expect that /your/
    webserver would complete the Yahoo registration?

    > * ???

    [snip]

    My suspicion is that you have misconfigured your eth0, in that it /
    should not/ be assigned the 192.168.0.1 address. More likely, given
    your description of the DSL modem's behaviour, you should have started
    a dhcp client on your Linux system, and let it acquire an address from
    the DSL modem (which is acting as a PPP protocol stack/firewall/router/
    gateway/DHCP server). Once your system acquires it's dynamic address
    from the MODEM, you will find that the MODEM has a webserver running
    at http://192.168.0.1/ and it is this webserver that you are supposed
    to access to complete the registration.

    HTH
    --
    Lew

  3. Re: dsl noob

    Lew Pitcher wrote:
    > On Dec 17, 12:56 pm, Dan Bensen wrote:
    >> # ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 mtu 1500 up
    >> # route add -net 192.168.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 dev eth0

    > Why these specific commands?

    I found them in various sources, including the dsl howto,
    the networking howto, and the route man page.

    > More specifically, where did you get the 192.168.0.1 address
    > from in the first command?

    The installation CD contains an html page with instructions:

    Yahoo> Now that your computer is connected to the DSL Modem, you
    Yahoo> need to activate your AT&T Yahoo! High Speed Internet account.
    Yahoo> To activate your AT&T Yahoo! High Speed Internet account:
    Yahoo> 1. Open your Internet browser.
    Yahoo> 2. Type http://192.168.0.01 into the browser's address line.
    Yahoo> 3. If prompted, enter the Access Code found on the bottom of
    Yahoo> the DSL Modem and click NEXT.
    Yahoo> 4. You will be prompted to enter a username and password.
    Yahoo> To access the AT&T Yahoo! High Speed Internet registration
    Yahoo> servers, you must enter the following username and password:
    Yahoo> Username: ***
    Yahoo> Password: ***
    Yahoo> 5. Click Save Changes.
    Yahoo> 6. The connection process will begin.

    > What did you expect these commands to do?

    I expected them to fail, like everything else I've tried so far.

    > Are you running a web server on your own computer?

    No, I just want to get my home machine onto the net.

    > Wny would you (or Yahoo) expect that /your/
    > webserver would complete the Yahoo registration?

    I didn't know enough to expect that. My thought was that maybe
    192.168.0.1 was the address of eth0 and the modem automagically
    reached the isp's server.

    > My suspicion is that you have misconfigured your eth0, in that it /
    > should not/ be assigned the 192.168.0.1 address.

    So what address should I give it?

    > More likely, given
    > your description of the DSL modem's behaviour, you should have started
    > a dhcp client on your Linux system, and let it acquire an address from
    > the DSL modem (which is acting as a PPP protocol stack/firewall/router/
    > gateway/DHCP server).

    I didn't see anything about dhcp in any of the howtos, and you're the
    first person to mention it.

    > Once your system acquires it's dynamic address
    > from the MODEM, you will find that the MODEM has a webserver running
    > at http://192.168.0.1/ and it is this webserver that you are supposed
    > to access to complete the registration.

    Interesting, I'll try it.

    --
    Dan
    www.prairienet.org/~dsb/

  4. Re: dsl noob

    Dan Bensen wrote:
    > Lew Pitcher wrote:
    >> On Dec 17, 12:56 pm, Dan Bensen wrote:
    >>> # ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 mtu 1500 up
    >>> # route add -net 192.168.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 dev eth0

    >> Why these specific commands?

    > I found them in various sources, including the dsl howto,
    > the networking howto, and the route man page.
    >[snip]
    > I didn't know enough to expect that. My thought was that maybe
    > 192.168.0.1 was the address of eth0 and the modem automagically
    > reached the isp's server.
    >
    >> My suspicion is that you have misconfigured your eth0, in that it /
    >> should not/ be assigned the 192.168.0.1 address.

    > So what address should I give it?

    None. Run your dhcp client. The client will acquire an IP address from your
    DSL router.

    >> More likely, given
    >> your description of the DSL modem's behaviour, you should have started
    >> a dhcp client on your Linux system, and let it acquire an address from
    >> the DSL modem (which is acting as a PPP protocol stack/firewall/router/
    >> gateway/DHCP server).

    > I didn't see anything about dhcp in any of the howtos, and you're the
    > first person to mention it.

    Yah. The howtos are never "up to date" wrt what the vendors are offering.
    These days, DSL vendors (like Yahoo) use DSL modems that are complete systems,
    instead of being discrete components. These systems do /everything/ for you;
    you don't /have/ to run PPPoE on your Linux system as the modem does that
    internally. The modems are so sophisticated that they usually include DHCP
    servers, along with web servers, firewalls, and a whole raft of other features.

    The Yahoo instructions work with the default for Microsoft Windows, which is
    to activate the ethernet connection using DHCP. That's why the instructions
    are fairly vague.

    --
    Lew Pitcher

  5. Re: dsl noob

    Lew Pitcher wrote:
    > Run your dhcp client. The client will acquire an IP address from your
    > DSL router.

    You mean dhcpcd? It looks like /etc/rc.inet1 will start it if eth0 is
    configured in /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1.conf. It looks like USE_DHCP needs
    to be "yes", but what about the rest of these fields?:

    # Config information for eth0:
    IPADDR[0]=""
    NETMASK[0]=""
    USE_DHCP[0]=""
    DHCP_HOSTNAME[0]=""

    So is this a substitute for ifconfig'ing manually? And what about route?
    Do I have to specify a gateway or do anything else?

    > These days, DSL vendors (like Yahoo) use DSL modems that are complete systems,
    > instead of being discrete components. These systems do /everything/ for you;
    > you don't /have/ to run PPPoE on your Linux system as the modem does that
    > internally. The modems are so sophisticated that they usually include DHCP
    > servers, along with web servers, firewalls, and a whole raft of other features.

    Thanks, that's good to know.

    --
    Dan
    www.prairienet.org/~dsb/

  6. Re: dsl noob

    > # ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 mtu 1500 up
    > # route add -net 192.168.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 dev eth0
    > * modem's ETHERNET light turned green
    > * Yahoo's installation page says
    > "Point your browswer tohttp://192.168.0.01to register."
    > * Firefox can't find the server at 192.168.0.1.

    If you cannot pull a DHCP address, or wish to hard set it, then you
    need to choose another IP on the same subnet. The router/DSL Modem is
    setup on .1 (that's why you are told to browse to it later). Try
    using .10 or anything > .2 and < .255.

    I would use DHCP though, unless you were going to host a service.

  7. Re: dsl noob

    On Dec 18, 1:35 am, Dan Bensen wrote:
    > Lew Pitcher wrote:
    > > Run your dhcp client. The client will acquire an IP address from your
    > > DSL router.

    > You mean dhcpcd? It looks like /etc/rc.inet1 will start it if eth0 is
    > configured in /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1.conf.

    OK, so you use Slackware. That wasn't evident to me previously. Good
    to know, as I use Slackware as well

    > It looks like USE_DHCP needs
    > to be "yes", but what about the rest of these fields?:
    >
    > # Config information for eth0:
    > IPADDR[0]=""
    > NETMASK[0]=""

    In your situation, you shouldn't change these two lines. They are used
    when you have a fixed IP address

    > USE_DHCP[0]=""

    USE_DHCP[0]="yes"

    > DHCP_HOSTNAME[0]=""

    Put a name here...
    DHCP_HOSTNAME[0]="grey_mouser"
    If your DHCP server supports DDNS, then this would tell the DHCP
    server what name to assign to this IP address. It wont hurt to put a
    name here, and, who knows?, it might actually do something for you.

    > So is this a substitute for ifconfig'ing manually? And what about route?

    Yes. Just complete the rc.inet1.conf fields and leave the rest up to
    rc.inet1. rc.inet1 will invoke the dhcp script, which will take care
    of the IP address, the route, and any other network configuration that
    the modem's DHCP server supports (DNS settings, etc.)

    > Do I have to specify a gateway or do anything else?

    No. Just the USE_DHCP[0]] and (optionally) the DHCP_HOSTNAME[0]
    settings are enough.

    > > These days, DSL vendors (like Yahoo) use DSL modems that are complete systems,
    > > instead of being discrete components. These systems do /everything/ for you;
    > > you don't /have/ to run PPPoE on your Linux system as the modem does that
    > > internally. The modems are so sophisticated that they usually include DHCP
    > > servers, along with web servers, firewalls, and a whole raft of other features.

    > Thanks, that's good to know.
    >
    > --
    > Danwww.prairienet.org/~dsb/

  8. Re: dsl noob

    Lew Pitcher wrote:
    > OK, so you use Slackware.

    Zenwalk, a.k.a. "Minislack".

    > Just complete the rc.inet1.conf fields and leave the rest up to
    > rc.inet1. rc.inet1 will invoke the dhcp script, which will take care
    > of the IP address, the route, and any other network configuration that
    > the modem's DHCP server supports (DNS settings, etc.)
    >
    > Just the USE_DHCP[0]] and (optionally) the DHCP_HOSTNAME[0]
    > settings are enough.

    I'm running
    # rc.inet1 eth0_up
    which calls
    /sbin/dhcpcd -d -h dsl eth0
    which exits after echoing a MAC address.
    The modem's ETHERNET light is still off,
    and FF still can't find 192.168.0.1.

    --
    Dan
    www.prairienet.org/~dsb/

  9. Re: dsl noob

    edcrosbys wrote:
    > If you cannot pull a DHCP address, or wish to hard set it,
    > then you need to choose another IP on the same subnet.

    Is the router guaranteed to accept a hard-coded address
    even if it's set up for dhcp?

    > I would use DHCP though, unless you were going to host a service.

    So far, it doesn't seem to be working. The modem's ethernet light
    went on when I specified an address with ifconfig, but it hasn't
    stayed on yet when I've tried dhcp.

    --
    Dan
    www.prairienet.org/~dsb/

  10. Re: dsl noob

    On Dec 18, 11:14 pm, Dan Bensen wrote:

    > Is the router guaranteed to accept a hard-coded address
    > even if it's set up for dhcp?

    Yes. Assuming the only two things on the network is the router and
    your linux box. Can you ping 192.168.0.1 if you hard set the ip to
    192.168.0.2? Make sure the subnet is 255.255.255.0!

    > So far, it doesn't seem to be working. The modem's ethernet light
    > went on when I specified an address with ifconfig, but it hasn't
    > stayed on yet when I've tried dhcp.

    Try hard setting it then. Again, make sure the subnet is right. You
    don't have any filters on the line going to the DSL modem, right? Is
    there anything in between the server and the modem?

  11. Re: dsl noob

    edcrosbys wrote:
    > Can you ping 192.168.0.1 if you hard set the ip to
    > 192.168.0.2? Make sure the subnet is 255.255.255.0!

    The ip address on the install cd seems to be wrong.
    The modem is now responding at 192.168.1.254, although
    the browser still isn't getting through to web content.

    > You don't have any filters on the line going to the DSL modem, right?
    > Is there anything in between the server and the modem?

    Just the ethernet cable between modem and ethernet card.
    I called the att help desk, and one of their "tech support" girls
    gave me a hard time because I wasn't using the Y filter for
    the data line at the phone outlet. I thought the dsl side of
    the filter was just a plain wire, but I guess it might be a
    capacitor/high-pass filter. So now the modem is connected to
    the dsl side of the Y connector.

    --
    Dan
    www.prairienet.org/~dsb/

  12. Re: dsl noob

    Lew Pitcher wrote:
    > OK, so you use Slackware. That wasn't evident to me previously.
    > Good to know, as I use Slackware as well

    Lew! Wheredja go, buddy? The modem is finally responding,
    except at a different address. I've been cross-posting this
    topic to linuxquestions.org:
    http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...-acct.-607165/

    and somebody (comprookie2000) found the user manual for the modem:
    http://broadband.motorola.com/consum...UserManual.pdf

    I went back to hard-coded ip addresses, and the modem's admin page
    is coming up at 192.168.1.254. It displays ip addresses for
    the nameservers, which ping is able to find, and the addresses
    are now in resolv.conf. But still no surfing yet, and I haven't
    gotten dhcp working.

    --
    Dan
    www.prairienet.org/~dsb/

  13. Re: dsl noob

    Dan Bensen wrote:

    > I have a Q about linux networking (getting my home pc on
    > the net). Is this the right forum, or is there a better
    > one for that topic?
    >
    > Here's a dump of my current situation:
    >
    > * new ATT/Yahoo dsl service, they said it was up last week
    > * dsl modem connected to ethernet card and phone outlet
    > * modem's POWER and DSL lights turned green
    > * low-pass filters on all telephones & answering machine
    > * su'd and ran
    > # ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 mtu 1500 up
    > # route add -net 192.168.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 dev eth0
    > * modem's ETHERNET light turned green
    > * Yahoo's installation page says
    > "Point your browswer to http://192.168.0.01 to register."
    > * Firefox can't find the server at 192.168.0.1.
    > * ???
    >
    > I've also tried about a million other things but still haven't
    > reached Yahoo's registration page. What else could be the
    > problem?

    Well, ...

    > # ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 mtu 1500 up

    You've set your machine to the same address as the server you're trying
    to contact. Unless your PC is the Yahoo Registration server, ...

    Note also that the entire process as documented is targetted at
    WhineBloze users. Their telephone support people are similarly myopic.
    So, you'll likely get no help from them.

    You'll need to read up on setting your Linux PC to accept an IP address
    via DHCP.

    Note also that as regards which newsgroup, Linux is not UNIX. Linux is a
    UNIX-like operating system and, as such, may or may not be sufficiently
    similar to UNIX to have UNIX things work as expected.

    Try a Linux-oriented newsgroup. You'll likely achieve better results.

    David J Dachtera
    DJE Systems
    http://www.djesys.com/

  14. Re: dsl noob

    David J Dachtera wrote:
    > You'll need to read up on setting your Linux PC to accept an IP address
    > via DHCP.

    I haven't gotten dhcp working yet, but I responded to Lew Pitcher on 12/19
    that the modem is responding to 192.168.1.254, and eth0 is working when
    it's set to 192.168.1.something.

    > Try a Linux-oriented newsgroup. You'll likely achieve better results.

    I should have looked harder. I thought it was strange that I couldn't find
    any Linux groups, but every other computer group I've seen has been on
    comp.*, so I just assumed...

    I'll be over at linux.*. Thanks for the help.

    --
    Dan
    www.prairienet.org/~dsb/

  15. Re: dsl noob

    On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 16:10:39 -0600, David J Dachtera wrote:
    > Dan Bensen wrote:

    >> # ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 mtu 1500 up

    > You've set your machine to the same address as the server you're trying
    > to contact. Unless your PC is the Yahoo Registration server, ...

    It's also my printer. Anything vaguely familiar looking about that
    address, David? Like it being part of a special range maybe?

    > Note also that the entire process as documented is targetted at
    > WhineBloze users. Their telephone support people are similarly myopic.
    > So, you'll likely get no help from them.

    Nor you, apparently.

    > You'll need to read up on setting your Linux PC to accept an IP address
    > via DHCP.

    > Note also that as regards which newsgroup, Linux is not UNIX. Linux is a
    > UNIX-like operating system and, as such, may or may not be sufficiently
    > similar to UNIX to have UNIX things work as expected.

    We used to have a troll here who spouted similar crap continuously. He
    added nothing to the group.

    > Try a Linux-oriented newsgroup. You'll likely achieve better results.

    Maybe you're not trying to be an unhelpful jerk giving bad information,
    but from here, that's how it's coming across. Just so you know. All
    the guy needs to do is set up his *nix box to accept DHCP (the one thing
    you got right), or, to set it to a fixed address in the range of
    whatever piece of gear he has wants him to use. Sounds like he's done
    that with the 192.168.0.1

    So, to Dan:
    do this:
    ifconfig -a
    See what IP your eth0 interface has. If the config statement above
    didn't set it, do you have an eth0, or is it called something else?
    Does your provider tell you if you should use dhcp or fixed?

    And, don't worry about the "Linux isn't Unix" crowd. Anyone who gets
    hung up on that will block themselves from succeeding.

  16. Re: dsl noob

    Dave Hinz wrote:
    > Does your provider tell you if you should use dhcp or fixed?

    My provider (for now) is AT&T/Yahoo, and they tell me to use
    Windows or MacOS. See my response to David, and also this
    forum thread:
    http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...-acct.-607165/

    The current situation is that the modem is responding at
    192.168.1.254 with eth0 at a fixed address in 192.168.1.*.
    The modem found the DNS servers, and the ISP's registration
    page came up. Then the Member ID page comes up with this
    message at the top of a form:
    <%@page language="java" errorPage="SystemError.jsp" %>

    If "SystemError.jsp" means something tried to make a Windows
    system call, them I'm wondering if maybe *nix users should
    be warned not to use AT&T/Yahoo dsl. I've heard that ISPs
    display a range of attitudes toward *nix, from friendly to
    neutral to actively hostile. Whatever the reason is, if
    there's no way to make the registration page work, then it
    seems like *nix users might have to avoid AT&T/Yahoo dsl.

    --
    Dan
    www.prairienet.org/~dsb/

  17. Re: dsl noob

    On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 16:03:01 -0600, Dan Bensen wrote:
    > Dave Hinz wrote:
    >> Does your provider tell you if you should use dhcp or fixed?

    > My provider (for now) is AT&T/Yahoo, and they tell me to use
    > Windows or MacOS. See my response to David, and also this
    > forum thread:
    > http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...-acct.-607165/

    Ah, good to see that you weren't chased off.

    > The current situation is that the modem is responding at
    > 192.168.1.254 with eth0 at a fixed address in 192.168.1.*.
    > The modem found the DNS servers, and the ISP's registration
    > page came up.

    Sounds like you've got the in-house stuff nailed then. As you probably
    figured out, the MacOSX stuff is just another Unix so it's more
    applicable than anything else they'll give you.

    > Then the Member ID page comes up with this
    > message at the top of a form:
    ><%@page language="java" errorPage="SystemError.jsp" %>
    > If "SystemError.jsp" means something tried to make a Windows
    > system call, them I'm wondering if maybe *nix users should
    > be warned not to use AT&T/Yahoo dsl.

    Do you have a java runtime environment installed? That's from Sun
    (about as opposite of Microsoft as exists), go to java.sun.com and get
    the right version for your system. Or, if you're on a debian-type
    distro,

    sudo apt-get install java

    ....or whatever it's called in your world.

    > I've heard that ISPs
    > display a range of attitudes toward *nix, from friendly to
    > neutral to actively hostile. Whatever the reason is, if
    > there's no way to make the registration page work, then it
    > seems like *nix users might have to avoid AT&T/Yahoo dsl.

    Worst case, have someone with a 'doze laptop come over & go through the
    page once. But first check out your java situation.

    Dave Hinz

  18. Re: dsl noob

    Dan Bensen writes:

    > page came up. Then the Member ID page comes up with this
    > message at the top of a form:
    > <%@page language="java" errorPage="SystemError.jsp" %>
    >
    > If "SystemError.jsp" means something tried to make a Windows

    This is something which should be interpreted by a Java webserver before
    sending data to the browser. This looks slightly broken.

    What was the exact instructions you were to follow to get up and
    running?
    --
    Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen

  19. Re: dsl noob

    Dave Hinz wrote:
    > Do you have a java runtime environment installed?

    Yes, Java 1.5.0.

    --
    Dan
    www.prairienet.org/~dsb/

  20. Re: dsl noob

    Thorbjoern Ravn Andersen wrote:
    > What was the exact instructions you were to follow to get up and
    > running?

    The exact instructions were incorrect. The preferred method was
    to get Windows or a Mac and follow a script on the install CD.
    The alternative was an html page on the CD that had the wrong
    ip address for the modem. Once that was set correctly, the
    instructions were to surf to the ISP's registration page, submit
    to their Terms of Service, and enter your phone number. Clicking
    the "Next" button on that page is where I'm stuck right now.

    --
    Dan
    www.prairienet.org/~dsb/

+ Reply to Thread