dsl noob - Unix

This is a discussion on dsl noob - Unix ; Dan Bensen writes: > The exact instructions were incorrect. The preferred method was > to get Windows or a Mac and follow a script on the install CD. > The alternative was an html page on the CD that had ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 30 of 30

  1. Re: dsl noob

    Dan Bensen writes:

    > The exact instructions were incorrect. The preferred method was
    > to get Windows or a Mac and follow a script on the install CD.
    > The alternative was an html page on the CD that had the wrong
    > ip address for the modem. Once that was set correctly, the
    > instructions were to surf to the ISP's registration page, submit
    > to their Terms of Service, and enter your phone number. Clicking
    > the "Next" button on that page is where I'm stuck right now.

    Lovely. It sounds like you need to call support.

    Is it too late to consider using another ISP?

    --
    Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen

  2. Re: dsl noob

    Thorbjoern Ravn Andersen wrote:
    > Lovely. It sounds like you need to call support.

    They don't have a real tech support. Just narrowly
    trained workers who know little or nothing about
    computers and probably follow a caller-response script.

    > Is it too late to consider using another ISP?

    It would cost a little over US$100 to switch, and
    $15-25 extra per month after that. I need a new
    computer anyway, so I may break down and buy a
    used one with XP on it.

    --
    Dan
    www.prairienet.org/~dsb/

  3. Re: dsl noob

    On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 22:19:38 -0600, Dan Bensen wrote:
    >>> Clicking the "Next" button on that page
    >>> is where I'm stuck right now.

    > Thorbjoern Ravn Andersen wrote:
    >> Lovely. It sounds like you need to call support.

    > They don't have a real tech support. Just narrowly
    > trained workers who know little or nothing about
    > computers and probably follow a caller-response script.

    It's very hard to staff a helpdesk. The guys who have clue and
    initiative, want to move up, so you let them or you lose them. The
    blind following of a script us frustrating for them, too. They should
    have a way you can escalate, though.

    >> Is it too late to consider using another ISP?

    > It would cost a little over US$100 to switch, and
    > $15-25 extra per month after that. I need a new
    > computer anyway, so I may break down and buy a
    > used one with XP on it.

    Well, if that's how you choose to "fix" this, then perhaps it's a waste
    of time trying to help you with this. To me, it sounds like you're
    close, and as someone else said, that java message looks more like their
    servers than your setup.

    About that - what is that page supposed to do? Do you have connectivity
    to the world without activating your yahoo whateveritis, or no? If it's
    just some bull**** yahoo homepage, who cares.

  4. Re: dsl noob

    Dave Hinz wrote:
    > Well, if that's how you choose to "fix" this, then perhaps it's
    > a waste of time trying to help you with this.

    I mean I'll dual-boot Linux with the XP, use XP to register for the
    dsl, and use Linux for everything else, except maybe testing web pages
    on IE. If the page is making a Windows system call, it seems to be
    a choice between registering with Windows or paying a lot more for
    another service. What other options are there?

    > About that - what is that page supposed to do? Do you have connectivity
    > to the world without activating your yahoo whateveritis, or no?

    No, this is the page that turns on access to the world.

    --
    Dan
    www.prairienet.org/~dsb/

  5. Re: dsl noob

    On Mon, 24 Dec 2007 20:51:56 -0600, Dan Bensen wrote:
    >> On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 22:19:38 -0600, Dan Bensen wrote:
    >>> I may break down and buy a used one with XP on it.

    > Dave Hinz wrote:
    >> Well, if that's how you choose to "fix" this, then perhaps it's
    >> a waste of time trying to help you with this.

    > I mean I'll dual-boot Linux with the XP, use XP to register for the
    > dsl, and use Linux for everything else, except maybe testing web pages
    > on IE.

    Ah, OK then, sounded like you were giving up too easily. Sorry to have
    misinterpreted you.

    > If the page is making a Windows system call, it seems to be
    > a choice between registering with Windows or paying a lot more for
    > another service. What other options are there?

    Nothing wrong with multi-booting a box.

    >> About that - what is that page supposed to do? Do you have connectivity
    >> to the world without activating your yahoo whateveritis, or no?

    > No, this is the page that turns on access to the world.

    Still broke? And, still broke once you have a 'doze partition built?

  6. Re: dsl noob

    Dave Hinz wrote:
    > Still broke? And, still broke once you have a 'doze partition built?

    I'm not sure what you mean. I would expect it to work with Windows,
    but I can't check that yet.

    --
    Dan
    www.prairienet.org/~dsb/

  7. Re: dsl noob

    Dave Hinz wrote:

    > On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 16:10:39 -0600, David J Dachtera wrote:
    > > Dan Bensen wrote:

    > >> # ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 mtu 1500 up

    > > You've set your machine to the same address as the server you're trying
    > > to contact. Unless your PC is the Yahoo Registration server, ...

    > It's also my printer. Anything vaguely familiar looking about that
    > address, David? Like it being part of a special range maybe?

    The address range is irrelevant. Two devices on the same address on the
    same LAN segment will -NEVER- be able to commincate with each other, no
    matter how much attitude you try to throw at it.

    > > Note also that the entire process as documented is targetted at
    > > WhineBloze users. Their telephone support people are similarly myopic.
    > > So, you'll likely get no help from them.

    > Nor you, apparently.

    Uncalled-for.

    > > You'll need to read up on setting your Linux PC to accept an IP address
    > > via DHCP.

    > > Note also that as regards which newsgroup, Linux is not UNIX. Linux is a
    > > UNIX-like operating system and, as such, may or may not be sufficiently
    > > similar to UNIX to have UNIX things work as expected.

    > We used to have a troll here who spouted similar crap continuously. He
    > added nothing to the group.

    Sort of like this stuff from you, eh?

    > > Try a Linux-oriented newsgroup. You'll likely achieve better results.

    > Maybe you're not trying to be an unhelpful jerk giving bad information,
    > but from here, that's how it's coming across. Just so you know.

    Well, this post from you was, well, less than helpful - to anyone. Just
    so you know.

    If someone else's post falls short of the mark in your opinion, well,
    that's really best kept between your own ears. Better to remain silent
    and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and prove it.

    > And, don't worry about the "Linux isn't Unix" crowd. Anyone who gets
    > hung up on that will block themselves from succeeding.

    Likewise, people who can only feel good about themselves at someone
    else's expense will block themselves from succeeding at almost every
    level of their own life.

    Take a look at "The Power of Positive Thinking" by Dr. Norman Vincent
    Peale if you REALLY want to learn to be helpful. I think you'll find it
    enlightening. As a mentor to many, I hope you will look into it.

    David J Dachtera
    DJE Systems

  8. Re: dsl noob

    On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 19:36:22 -0600, David J Dachtera wrote:
    > Dave Hinz wrote:

    >> > You've set your machine to the same address as the server you're trying
    >> > to contact. Unless your PC is the Yahoo Registration server, ...

    >> It's also my printer. Anything vaguely familiar looking about that
    >> address, David? Like it being part of a special range maybe?

    > The address range is irrelevant.

    Not at all. non-routable would be a good term for you to google on.

    > Two devices on the same address on the
    > same LAN segment will -NEVER- be able to commincate with each other, no
    > matter how much attitude you try to throw at it.

    You claimed it's "the Yahoo Registration server"'s address. Right
    there, 12 lines up.

    >> > Note also that the entire process as documented is targetted at
    >> > WhineBloze users. Their telephone support people are similarly myopic.
    >> > So, you'll likely get no help from them.

    >> Nor you, apparently.

    > Uncalled-for.

    You're giving him wrong advice. That's what's known as the _opposite_
    of help, you see.

    >> > Note also that as regards which newsgroup, Linux is not UNIX. Linux is a
    >> > UNIX-like operating system and, as such, may or may not be sufficiently
    >> > similar to UNIX to have UNIX things work as expected.

    >> We used to have a troll here who spouted similar crap continuously. He
    >> added nothing to the group.

    > Sort of like this stuff from you, eh?

    Telling him to disregard wrong advice is certainly more valuable than
    letting it go unchallenged. 192.168 is a special case, as you should
    know. As is 10.

    > If someone else's post falls short of the mark in your opinion, well,
    > that's really best kept between your own ears. Better to remain silent
    > and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and prove it.

    Nothing "opinion" about you being wrong. And take your own advice - you
    don't understand the question, don't answer it. 192.168.0.1 is _not_ a
    unique address by any means. When you understand why, _then_ you are
    qualified to answer questions about it, not until.

    >> And, don't worry about the "Linux isn't Unix" crowd. Anyone who gets
    >> hung up on that will block themselves from succeeding.

    > Likewise, people who can only feel good about themselves at someone
    > else's expense will block themselves from succeeding at almost every
    > level of their own life.

    Yawn. I have no interest in comparing resumes with you, sorry.

    > Take a look at "The Power of Positive Thinking" by Dr. Norman Vincent
    > Peale if you REALLY want to learn to be helpful. I think you'll find it
    > enlightening. As a mentor to many, I hope you will look into it.

    Positive thinking doesn't help a bit when you use it to provide
    erroneous advice.

  9. Re: dsl noob

    Dave Hinz wrote:

    > On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 19:36:22 -0600, David J Dachtera wrote:
    > > Dave Hinz wrote:

    > >> It's also my printer. Anything vaguely familiar looking about that
    > >> address, David? Like it being part of a special range maybe?

    > > The address range is irrelevant.

    > Not at all.

    Entirely.

    > non-routable [snip]

    ....is, likewise, irrelevant.

    > > Two devices on the same address on the
    > > same LAN segment will -NEVER- be able to commincate with each other, no
    > > matter how much attitude you try to throw at it.

    > You claimed it's "the Yahoo Registration server"'s address.

    No, I didn't. Try again.

    > Right
    > there, 12 lines up.

    > >> Nor you, apparently.

    > > Uncalled-for.

    > You're giving him wrong advice.

    No, I didn't - go back and re-read until you get it right.

    > [snip]

    > >> We used to have a troll here who spouted similar crap continuously. He
    > >> added nothing to the group.

    > > Sort of like this stuff from you, eh?

    > Telling him to disregard wrong advice is certainly more valuable than
    > letting it go unchallenged. 192.168 is a special case, as you should
    > know. As is 10.

    The address range remains irrelevant, as does 10., 172., etc. (Maybe
    someone ELSE needs to bone up on his address ranges!)

    > > If someone else's post falls short of the mark in your opinion, well,
    > > that's really best kept between your own ears. Better to remain silent
    > > and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and prove it.

    > Nothing "opinion" about you being wrong.

    Entirely opinion, since you missed the material points completely.

    > And take your own advice - you
    > don't understand the question, don't answer it. 192.168.0.1 is _not_ a
    > unique address by any means.

    O.k. then - enlighten me: under what circumstances can two devices at
    192.168.0.1 communicate with each other (get this ON THE SAME LAN
    SEGMENT???!!! (Non-routable, remember?)

    > When you understand why, _then_ you are
    > qualified to answer questions about it, not until.

    I understand it very well, just as I understand how you continue to
    misread this.

    > >> And, don't worry about the "Linux isn't Unix" crowd. Anyone who gets
    > >> hung up on that will block themselves from succeeding.

    > > Likewise, people who can only feel good about themselves at someone
    > > else's expense will block themselves from succeeding at almost every
    > > level of their own life.

    > Yawn. I have no interest in comparing resumes with you, sorry.

    Never intended to. Not sure where you got that from.

    > > Take a look at "The Power of Positive Thinking" by Dr. Norman Vincent
    > > Peale if you REALLY want to learn to be helpful. I think you'll find it
    > > enlightening. As a mentor to many, I hope you will look into it.

    > Positive thinking doesn't help a bit when you use it to provide
    > erroneous advice.

    Not erroneous, as illustrated in the earlier posts and in this one.

    When you can learn to see past the tip of your own nose, maybe then you
    will be able to understand all this, or possibly even a read book that
    will help you.

    Rather than replying to this, try doing something to help yourself
    rather than making yourself appear ... well, that would be negative and
    it wouldn't help you either; so, I'll keep that to myself. It's obvious
    to even the most casual observer, anyway.

    David J Dachtera
    DJE System

  10. Re: dsl noob

    On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 19:59:26 -0600, David J Dachtera wrote:
    > Dave Hinz wrote:
    >>
    >> On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 19:36:22 -0600, David J Dachtera wrote:

    >> > The address range is irrelevant.

    >> Not at all.

    > Entirely.

    Really? Explain then. Because from here it looks like you're playing
    wordgames and bull****, and wanting to debate what the meaning of the
    word "is", is.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2