High Load machine and stdout/stderr - Unix

This is a discussion on High Load machine and stdout/stderr - Unix ; Hi, I am posting this message to this group as I was not sure about which group to post it to. In case, there is a better group for this please help with the name. Scenario: 1) There are multiple ...

  1. High Load machine and stdout/stderr

    Hi,

    I am posting this message to this group as I was not sure about which
    group to post it to. In case, there is a better group for this please
    help with the name.

    Scenario:
    1) There are multiple machines in a setup(A, B, C...).
    2) When a huge undividable task comes up (for example, linking) in a
    machine (say, A), then the load of all the machines in the setup is
    checked and the machine with the lowest load (say, B) is chosen.
    3) An ssh is done to that machine and the task is completed.

    My questions are follows:
    1) My understanding is that when the output (to terminal) is coming
    from B, then the load in A will affect it. Is this true?
    2) If that is true, then is there some other way to ensure that this
    can be done?

    Thanks and regards,
    Karthick S.

  2. Re: High Load machine and stdout/stderr

    In article
    <83f85edc-5b12-4f4b-9c67-0346a15e1ac5@a35g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
    "Karthick S." wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I am posting this message to this group as I was not sure about which
    > group to post it to. In case, there is a better group for this please
    > help with the name.
    >
    > Scenario:
    > 1) There are multiple machines in a setup(A, B, C...).
    > 2) When a huge undividable task comes up (for example, linking) in a
    > machine (say, A), then the load of all the machines in the setup is
    > checked and the machine with the lowest load (say, B) is chosen.
    > 3) An ssh is done to that machine and the task is completed.
    >
    > My questions are follows:
    > 1) My understanding is that when the output (to terminal) is coming
    > from B, then the load in A will affect it. Is this true?
    > 2) If that is true, then is there some other way to ensure that this
    > can be done?

    Yes, it's true. However, the overhead of processing the output should
    be relatively small. So unless A is heavily overloaded, you shouldn't
    notice the impact.

    I can't think of any way around this. If the user is looking at A's
    display, there's no way for the output to get to him without going
    through A.

    --
    Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    Arlington, MA