Suse 9/10 German version. - Unix

This is a discussion on Suse 9/10 German version. - Unix ; Hi All, Suse 9/10 German versions are available? When I change locale to German does that meant my OS becomes German OS?...

  1. Suse 9/10 German version.

    Hi All,
    Suse 9/10 German versions are available?

    When I change locale to German does that meant my OS becomes German
    OS?

  2. Re: Suse 9/10 German version.

    Neo writes:
    > Hi All,
    > Suse 9/10 German versions are available?
    >
    > When I change locale to German does that meant my OS becomes German
    > OS?

    This means that a random subset of the included applications will
    start to speak German with you, ie instead of the standard texts
    associated with different errno values, you will get German
    translations of varying qualtiy which you need to retranslate into
    English before you can determine what error actually
    occured. Additionally, you will likely get UTF-8, which means that a
    large amount of manual pages happening to use ISO-8859-1 characters
    will be garbled when trying to dislay them. This can go as far as
    complete paragraphs just vanishing.

    The user visible benefit would be that, instead of being confronted
    with English messages said user does not understand, he will be
    confonted with German messages he doesn't understand, either.

    One of my nice, personal experiences in this respect would be trying
    to troubleshoot a network setup issue occuring on a Windows install
    localized for Cantonese: Neither the PC-owner nor the (Hong
    Kong)-local PC-service person understood the texts displayed in their
    language and I wasn't even able to read them.

+ Reply to Thread