    From: me
    To: dest1
    Subject: subject1

    body1

    From: me
    To: dest2
    Subject: subject2

    body2

    From: me
    To: destN
    Subject: subjectN

    bodyN

    - then feed it to some program: xxx < file , which send these
    mails

    i tried to do that with mail & mailx, but doesnot word, they need the
    destination in the command line

    tks in advance

  2. mail / how to send a pre-composed multiple mail file?

    Either Batch SMTP or the UUCP "rmail" utility are your friends.

  3. Re: mail / how to send a pre-composed multiple mail file?

    On Nov 29, 2:45 pm, J de Boyne Pollard
    wrote:
    > Either Batch SMTP or the UUCP "rmail" utility are your friends.

    tks a lot!

    i was looking for rmail and bsmtp but i don't have those packages :-
    (

    i think the better way is to make a little prog in python which parses
    the file, and send the emails (???)

  4. Re: mail / how to send a pre-composed multiple mail file?

    $DRIFT ON

    J de Boyne Pollard wrote:
    > Either Batch SMTP or the UUCP "rmail" utility are your friends.

    If you cross-post from another group - comp.unix.programmer in this
    case - it would be nice if you at least quoted *something*. Now I had to
    go 'chase' for the parent article to see what the heck this was about.

    Also your Subject: line does not have the standard "Re: ", which adds
    to the problem, because it makes your article look like an OP, while it
    is a response, i.e. has a References: header.

    Finally, Google Groups is breaking the Newsgroups: line by having an
    invalid space after the comma. While nowadays many (most?) News servers
    accept such broken articles, it limits propagation, so you might want to
    complain to GG about their non-conformance.

    $DRIFT OFF

  5. mail / how to send a pre-composed multiple mail file?

    FS> If you cross-post from another group [...]
    FS> it would be nice if you at least quoted *something*.

    http://homepages.tesco.net./~J.deBoy.../FGA/read-the-
    references-header.html>

    Moreover, quoting is wholly unnecessary when the question being
    answered is in the subject line.

    FS> Also your Subject: line does not have the standard
    FS> "Re: ", which adds to the problem, because it
    FS> makes your article look like an OP, [...]

    False. It does not add to any problem, because there isn't actually a
    problem with the message to add to. The problem is that you don't
    know how to recognize the first post in a thread. You think that it's
    signified by the subject line. It is not. It is signified by a
    "References:" header. Your reading the wrong thing is a problem that
    you have made for yourself, not something caused by any actual message
    content. Subject lines have zero relevance to threading.

    I also suggest that you familiarize yourself with USEFOR's best
    practice document. "Re:" is a convention that people were deprecating
    two years ago. As the architecture and protocols document says, that
    string "serves no protocol function".

    FS> Finally, Google Groups is breaking the Newsgroups:
    FS> line by having an invalid space after the comma.

    False. RFC 1036 is silent on the matter, having no formal syntax; and
    the formal syntax given in the USEFOR article format document, in
    section 3.1.4, allows folding whitespace on both sides of a comma.

  6. mail / how to send a pre-composed multiple mail file?

    r> i think the better way is to make a little prog in python
    r> which parses the file, and send the emails (???)

    It all depends from how the file is constructed in the first place.
    If it is constructed, for example, by concatenating a series of
    individual message files together, then it's silly to write a program
    to parse the file in order to split it into several individual
    messages when it started off as several individual messages in the
    first place. If you have individual messages in individual files,
    then submitting them is no more than an exercise in shell scripting.

  7. Re: mail / how to send a pre-composed multiple mail file?

    [Disclaimer: Response based on how normal newsreaders work. Not on how the
    Google Groups web-interface ... ummmm ... 'works'.]

    J de Boyne Pollard wrote:
    > FS> If you cross-post from another group [...]
    > FS> it would be nice if you at least quoted *something*.
    >
    > http://homepages.tesco.net./~J.deBoy.../FGA/read-the-
    > references-header.html>

    No, (in general) we don't (have to). *newsreaders* - the *programs* -
    do.

    > Moreover, quoting is wholly unnecessary when the question being
    > answered is in the subject line.

    I'm not talking about the *answer*, but about the (absent) *question*.
    Please *read* and (try to) comprehend what you (silently) snip.

    For anyone *other* than the OP, the question is needed to make sense of
    the answer. In the cross-posted group, the OP is *not* available.

    > FS> Also your Subject: line does not have the standard
    > FS> "Re: ", which adds to the problem, because it
    > FS> makes your article look like an OP, [...]
    >
    > False. It does not add to any problem, because there isn't actually a
    > problem with the message to add to. The problem is that you don't
    > know how to recognize the first post in a thread. You think that it's
    > signified by the subject line. It is not. It is signified by a
    > "References:" header. Your reading the wrong thing is a problem that
    > you have made for yourself, not something caused by any actual message
    > content. Subject lines have zero relevance to threading.

    Don't pretend to know what I think and please don't try to lecture me
    on Usenet/News stuff. I'm very well aware what is and what isn't
    required for threading and how to recognize an OP. But *in this case*,
    threading is irrelevant, because in the crossposted group the *OP
    doesn't exist*, so your article *cannot* be threaded.

    The *point* is that in all newsreaders the Subject: line is readily
    visible, while the References: is not. So, *as I said*, your post
    *looks* like an OP, but *is* a response.

    [...]

    > FS> Finally, Google Groups is breaking the Newsgroups:
    > FS> line by having an invalid space after the comma.
    >
    > False. RFC 1036 is silent on the matter, having no formal syntax; and
    > the formal syntax given in the USEFOR article format document, in
    > section 3.1.4, allows folding whitespace on both sides of a comma.

    RFC 1036 is not "silent on the matter". It specifically says "Multiple
    newsgroups may be specified, separated by a comma.". USEFOR is not yet
    a standard, hence irrelevant. FYI, *the* most common News server
    software - INN - rejects such Newsgroups: lines.

    Bottom line: The *point* of my response was not to make it difficult
    for your audience and not to limit your audience.

  8. Re: mail / how to send a pre-composed multiple mail file?

    rhXX wrote:
    > - i want to prepare a text file with some format similar to:
    >
    > From: me
    > To: dest1
    > Subject: subject1
    >
    > body1
    >
    > From: me
    > To: dest2
    > Subject: subject2
    >
    > body2
    >

    > - then feed it to some program: xxx < file , which send these
    > mails
    >
    > i tried to do that with mail & mailx, but doesnot word, they need the
    > destination in the command line

    "sendmail -t" would do what you want if you had each message in a separate
    file. The "-t" flag says to "t"ake the addresses from the message header
    instead of the command line.

    If you really need to get the messages out of a concatenated file, you
    might be able to do it with formail. (It depends on how liberal its parsing
    is, since I believe it expects mbox format, which would have messages
    beginning with "From " -- note no colon.) But then you'd still be running
    sendmail once for every message.

    - Logan

  9. Re: mail / how to send a pre-composed multiple mail file?

    > It all depends from how the file is constructed in the first place.
    > If it is constructed, for example, by concatenating a series of
    > individual message files together, then it's silly to write a program
    > to parse the file in order to split it into several individual
    > messages when it started off as several individual messages in the
    > first place. If you have individual messages in individual files,
    > then submitting them is no more than an exercise in shell scripting.

    ok, tks!

    yes, yesterday i solved my problem with a shell scritp ...

    with more details, i wanted to make a cron mail-merge:
    - i have a .xls database with language, name, sex & number, treatment,
    signing, ...., generic body file
    - i exported this db to a .csv file
    - i have some generic body files - language
    - i cronned my "mail-merge" script
    - for each csv record, it takes the associate body-language file,
    makes the translation of the fields, and send the mail.

    tks for your comments!
    my best regards

  10. Re: mail / how to send a pre-composed multiple mail file?

    > "sendmail -t" would do what you want if you had each message in a separate
    > file. The "-t" flag says to "t"ake the addresses from the message header
    > instead of the command line.
    >
    > If you really need to get the messages out of a concatenated file, you
    > might be able to do it with formail. (It depends on how liberal its parsing
    > is, since I believe it expects mbox format, which would have messages
    > beginning with "From " -- note no colon.) But then you'd still be running
    > sendmail once for every message.
    >
    > - Logan

    i will test it!

    tks a lot!

  11. Re: mail / how to send a pre-composed multiple mail file?

    J de Boyne Pollard wrote:
    > FS> If you cross-post from another group [...]
    > FS> it would be nice if you at least quoted *something*.
    >
    > http://homepages.tesco.net./~J.deBoy.../FGA/read-the-
    > references-header.html>

    While we are having these (irrelevant) references (pun intended) to
    (non) standards:

    I saw this interesting tid-bit brought up in another group
    (: