Design of x-window system - Unix

This is a discussion on Design of x-window system - Unix ; I need to learn about the design and internals of programming for the x-window system and I wonder if anyone might be able to recommend a few good resources. I'm a little new to unix in general and have never ...

  1. Design of x-window system

    I need to learn about the design and internals of programming for the
    x-window system and I wonder if anyone might be able to recommend a
    few good resources. I'm a little new to unix in general and have
    never done anything with x-windows. I searched for books and all of
    them appear to be very old. However i realize this isn't necessarily
    a bad thing since it probably hasn't changed very much.

    Suggestions much appreciated,
    Thanks

  2. Re: Design of x-window system

    Zachary Turner wrote:

    > I need to learn about the design and internals of programming for the
    > x-window system and I wonder if anyone might be able to recommend a
    > few good resources. I'm a little new to unix in general and have
    > never done anything with x-windows. I searched for books and all of
    > them appear to be very old. However i realize this isn't necessarily
    > a bad thing since it probably hasn't changed very much.
    >
    > Suggestions much appreciated,
    > Thanks

    The Xlib Programming series is probably the best resource on
    it; especially Volume 0 (X Protocol) and Volume
    1 (Xlib programming). Volume 2, the reference for Xlib, might also
    come in handy. You can find Volume 1 here:

    http://www.sbin.org/doc/Xlib/index_contents.html

    And this site has an API reference and an overview of some basics:

    http://tronche.com/gui/x/xlib/

    Also, feel free to e-mail me with any questions you might have; I'll
    answer them to the best of my ability.

    -Rob Hoelz

  3. Re: Design of x-window system

    On Nov 28, 12:00 pm, Rob Hoelz wrote:
    > Zachary Turner wrote:
    >
    > > I need to learn about the design and internals of programming for the
    > > x-window system and I wonder if anyone might be able to recommend a
    > > few good resources. I'm a little new to unix in general and have
    > > never done anything with x-windows. I searched for books and all of
    > > them appear to be very old. However i realize this isn't necessarily
    > > a bad thing since it probably hasn't changed very much.

    > > Suggestions much appreciated,
    > > Thanks

    > The Xlib Programming series is probably the best resource on
    > it; especially Volume 0 (X Protocol) and Volume
    > 1 (Xlib programming). Volume 2, the reference for Xlib, might also
    > come in handy. You can find Volume 1 here:
    >
    > http://www.sbin.org/doc/Xlib/index_contents.html
    >
    > And this site has an API reference and an overview of some basics:
    >
    > http://tronche.com/gui/x/xlib/
    >
    > Also, feel free to e-mail me with any questions you might have; I'll
    > answer them to the best of my ability.
    >
    > -Rob Hoelz

    Thanks, this looks like a great starter! I do have some rather
    specific questions, but I will save them until I've had some time
    learn some of the basics on my own. I've made note of your email
    though, I may take you up on the offer sooner or later.

    Zach

  4. Re: Design of x-window system

    On Nov 28, 6:00 pm, Rob Hoelz wrote:
    > Zachary Turner wrote:
    >
    > > I need to learn about the design and internals of programming for the
    > > x-window system and I wonder if anyone might be able to recommend a
    > > few good resources. I'm a little new to unix in general and have
    > > never done anything with x-windows. I searched for books and all of
    > > them appear to be very old. However i realize this isn't necessarily
    > > a bad thing since it probably hasn't changed very much.

    > > Suggestions much appreciated,
    > > Thanks

    > The Xlib Programming series is probably the best resource on
    > it; especially Volume 0 (X Protocol) and Volume
    > 1 (Xlib programming). Volume 2, the reference for Xlib, might also
    > come in handy. You can find Volume 1 here:
    >
    > http://www.sbin.org/doc/Xlib/index_contents.html
    >
    > And this site has an API reference and an overview of some basics:
    >
    > http://tronche.com/gui/x/xlib/

    The problem with those books is that they only cover the basic Xlib
    protocol. Theres virtually nothing on any extensions , even the
    standard ones such as double buffer (rather essential for non openGL
    games unless you like lots of flickering).

    B2003

  5. Re: Design of x-window system

    On Nov 29, 1:22 pm, Boltar wrote:
    > On Nov 28, 6:00 pm, Rob Hoelz wrote:
    >

    > > Zachary Turner wrote:

    > > > I need to learn about the design and internals of programming for the
    > > > x-window system and I wonder if anyone might be able to recommend a
    > > > few good resources. I'm a little new to unix in general and have
    > > > never done anything with x-windows. I searched for books and all of
    > > > them appear to be very old. However i realize this isn't necessarily
    > > > a bad thing since it probably hasn't changed very much.

    > > > Suggestions much appreciated,
    > > > Thanks

    > > The Xlib Programming series is probably the best resource on
    > > it; especially Volume 0 (X Protocol) and Volume
    > > 1 (Xlib programming). Volume 2, the reference for Xlib, might also
    > > come in handy. You can find Volume 1 here:

    > >http://www.sbin.org/doc/Xlib/index_contents.html

    > > And this site has an API reference and an overview of some basics:

    > >http://tronche.com/gui/x/xlib/

    > The problem with those books is that they only cover the basic Xlib
    > protocol. Theres virtually nothing on any extensions , even the
    > standard ones such as double buffer (rather essential for non openGL
    > games unless you like lots of flickering).
    >
    > B2003- Hide quoted text -

    I'm actually not necessarily looking to write my own applications,
    more like how to do some under-the-hood hacking / hooking of an
    existing windowed application. So I think that's probably fine for me.

  6. Re: Design of x-window system

    Zachary Turner writes:

    >I'm actually not necessarily looking to write my own applications,
    >more like how to do some under-the-hood hacking / hooking of an
    >existing windowed application. So I think that's probably fine for me.

    Be aware that there are several "widget" toolkits that provide the
    actual look and feel:

    Athena Widgets (Comes with X11)
    Motif (Archaic)
    Qt (Semi-proprietary)
    Gtk (Most linux apps use this one)

    Whilst they all provide similar capabilities, the actual API's differ
    considerably. In particular, while Motif and AW utilize the X
    resource manager for look-and-feel configuration, gtk ignores it.

    scott

+ Reply to Thread