new filesystem module - Unix

This is a discussion on new filesystem module - Unix ; I'm working on kernel 2.2.26. I'm trying to add a new filesystem module, this filesystem is mainly the ext2 one but i'd want to add some new features, as the possibility to log file actions. I have some questions. What ...

  1. new filesystem module

    I'm working on kernel 2.2.26. I'm trying to add a new filesystem
    module, this filesystem is mainly the ext2 one but i'd want to add
    some new features, as the possibility to log file actions.
    I have some questions.
    What are the steps for adding a new filesystem?
    how to clone ext2 filesystem and working on this copy easily ?

    thanks.

  2. Re: new filesystem module

    On Nov 26, 12:28 pm, ste.paole...@tiscali.it wrote:
    > I'm working on kernel 2.2.26. I'm trying to add a new filesystem
    > module, this filesystem is mainly the ext2 one but i'd want to add
    > some new features, as the possibility to log file actions.
    > I have some questions.
    > What are the steps for adding a new filesystem?
    > how to clone ext2 filesystem and working on this copy easily ?
    >
    > thanks.

    Ext2 filesystems are created with /sbin/mke2fs program.
    check man mke2fs
    for cloning filesystem i usualy use dd. - try man dd

    cheers,

    zaher el siddik

  3. Re: new filesystem module

    On 26 Nov, 20:40, elsiddik wrote:
    > On Nov 26, 12:28 pm, ste.paole...@tiscali.it wrote:
    >
    > > I'm working on kernel 2.2.26. I'm trying to add a new filesystem
    > > module, this filesystem is mainly the ext2 one but i'd want to add
    > > some new features, as the possibility to log file actions.
    > > I have some questions.
    > > What are the steps for adding a new filesystem?
    > > how to clone ext2 filesystem and working on this copy easily ?

    > > thanks.

    > Ext2 filesystems are created with /sbin/mke2fs program.
    > check man mke2fs
    > for cloning filesystem i usualy use dd. - try man dd
    >
    > cheers,
    >
    > zaher el siddik

    we need to implent a new filesystem module, we don't need to clone a
    partition or a harddisk,
    our task is to modify ext2module in the linux kernel, right now we
    just copied the direcory cointaining the ext2 code
    but we are having quite many problems for compiling it, do you have
    any suggestion for us?
    thanks

+ Reply to Thread