how to calculate max file / partition size - Unix

This is a discussion on how to calculate max file / partition size - Unix ; Consider the following: - 12 direct block pointers - a single, double, and a triple indirect point in each inode - system block size: 8K - disk sector size: 8K - disk block pointer: 32 bits (8 bits for the ...

  1. how to calculate max file / partition size

    Consider the following:

    - 12 direct block pointers
    - a single, double, and a triple indirect point in each inode
    - system block size: 8K
    - disk sector size: 8K
    - disk block pointer: 32 bits (8 bits for the physical disk
    and 24 bits for the physical block)

    What is the calculation to find out the max file size and the
    max partition size given these numbers?

    What about calculating the number of disk accesses required for
    accessing a random byte of a file? How many disk accesses
    to access the byte at position 25,321,456, for example.

    Thanks,

    -Jason

  2. Re: how to calculate max file / partition size

    Jason Maur writes:

    > Consider the following:
    >
    > - 12 direct block pointers
    > - a single, double, and a triple indirect point in each inode
    > - system block size: 8K
    > - disk sector size: 8K
    > - disk block pointer: 32 bits (8 bits for the physical disk
    > and 24 bits for the physical block)
    >
    > What is the calculation to find out the max file size and the
    > max partition size given these numbers?
    >
    > What about calculating the number of disk accesses required for
    > accessing a random byte of a file? How many disk accesses
    > to access the byte at position 25,321,456, for example.

    If nothing else, the outrageous disk sector size is a clear giveaway
    that this is a homework question. I suggest you read your textbook
    again.

    --
    Måns Rullgård
    mans@mansr.com

  3. Re: how to calculate max file / partition size

    Måns Rullgård wrote:

    > If nothing else, the outrageous disk sector size is a clear giveaway
    > that this is a homework question. I suggest you read your textbook
    > again.

    MÃ¥ns,

    You're both right and wrong: it's a homework question,
    but it's not my homework. I'm trying to help a girl out
    and maybe get in her pants

+ Reply to Thread