Upgrade Emulex driver from 5.01e to 6.11c - Solaris 8 server withLP9892 HBAs - Unix

This is a discussion on Upgrade Emulex driver from 5.01e to 6.11c - Solaris 8 server withLP9892 HBAs - Unix ; Our SunFire server is running Solaris 8 (117350-50) and Veritas Storage Foundation 3.5MP3. There are eight Emulex LP9802 HBAs which are connected to the HDS 9980, 9585 and USP storage arrays. The current driver is 5.01e. We'd like to upgrade ...

  1. Upgrade Emulex driver from 5.01e to 6.11c - Solaris 8 server withLP9892 HBAs

    Our SunFire server is running Solaris 8 (117350-50) and Veritas
    Storage Foundation 3.5MP3. There are eight Emulex LP9802 HBAs which
    are connected to the HDS 9980, 9585 and USP storage arrays. The
    current driver is 5.01e. We'd like to upgrade the driver to version
    6.11c. Please let us know the procedure and if there is any
    "gotchas" we need to be aware of.

    Thanks,

    Bill

  2. Re: Upgrade Emulex driver from 5.01e to 6.11c - Solaris 8 server with LP9892 HBAs

    In article
    ,
    underh20.scubadiving@gmail.com wrote:

    > Our SunFire server is running Solaris 8 (117350-50) and Veritas
    > Storage Foundation 3.5MP3. There are eight Emulex LP9802 HBAs which
    > are connected to the HDS 9980, 9585 and USP storage arrays. The
    > current driver is 5.01e. We'd like to upgrade the driver to version
    > 6.11c. Please let us know the procedure and if there is any
    > "gotchas" we need to be aware of.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Bill

    That's a pretty specific environment. Do you have a "sandbox machine"
    which has similar stuff attached to it, so you can test out your upgrade
    senario outside of production? If you don't, you'll be relying on the
    "kindness of strangers" which may or may not get you answers.

    Spec out a test system and submit it to the boss so you can figure this
    out without impacting production. Or schedule downtime during the
    upcoming holiday season and come up with a plan to do the upgrade, test
    it, and back it out if it doesn't work.

  3. Re: Upgrade Emulex driver from 5.01e to 6.11c - Solaris 8 server withLP9892 HBAs

    I thought Emulex provides a utility, HBAnywhare that lets you download
    firmware on the fly. The HBA requires a reset to take on the new
    firmware, but with multi-pathing, you should be ok. ALso, there is
    still a command line utiltiy, lputil, that can be used to probe and
    download firmware.

    Check http://www.emulex.com/support/hardwa...802/lp9802.jsp

+ Reply to Thread