no lpadmin - Unix

This is a discussion on no lpadmin - Unix ; I have a Solaris SunOS xxxx 5.8 Generic_117350-46 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun- Fire-V240 machine that has no lpadmin command. I am trying to setup a printer (HP LaserJet4). lpstat and lp are there. I have sudo access....

  1. no lpadmin

    I have a Solaris SunOS xxxx 5.8 Generic_117350-46 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-
    Fire-V240 machine that has no lpadmin command.
    I am trying to setup a printer (HP LaserJet4).
    lpstat and lp are there.
    I have sudo access.

  2. Re: no lpadmin

    "jammer" wrote in message
    >I have a Solaris SunOS xxxx 5.8 Generic_117350-46 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-
    > Fire-V240 machine that has no lpadmin command.
    > I am trying to setup a printer (HP LaserJet4).
    > lpstat and lp are there.
    > I have sudo access.

    check the file /usr/sbin/lpadmin is present in your system ?

  3. Re: no lpadmin

    On Nov 25, 11:16 pm, "Vakayil Thobias" lucent.com> wrote:
    > "jammer" wrote in message

    > >I have a Solaris SunOS xxxx 5.8 Generic_117350-46 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-
    > > Fire-V240 machine that has no lpadmin command.
    > > I am trying to setup a printer (HP LaserJet4).
    > > lpstat and lp are there.
    > > I have sudo access.

    > check the file /usr/sbin/lpadmin is present in your system ?

    ls /usr/sbin/lpadmin
    /usr/sbin/lpadmin: No such file or directory

    How do I install it or setup a printer without it?

  4. Re: no lpadmin

    jammer wrote:
    > "Vakayil Thobias" wrote:
    > > "jammer" wrote:

    > > >I have a Solaris SunOS xxxx 5.8 Generic_117350-46 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-
    > > > Fire-V240 machine that has no lpadmin command.
    > > > I am trying to setup a printer (HP LaserJet4).
    > > > lpstat and lp are there.
    > > > I have sudo access.

    > > check the file /usr/sbin/lpadmin is present in your system ?

    > ls /usr/sbin/lpadmin
    > /usr/sbin/lpadmin: No such file or directory
    >
    > How do I install it or setup a printer without it?

    -bash-3.00$ grep /usr/lib/lpadmin /var/sadm/install/contents
    /usr/lib/lpadmin=../sbin/lpadmin s none SUNWpcu
    -bash-3.00$ grep /usr/sbin/lpadmin /var/sadm/install/contents
    /usr/sbin/lpadmin f none 0555 root lp 8953 42052 1106350196 SUNWpcu

    It's in package SUNWpcu on my system. You could install that package.

    If you want to be very gross, create the queue on a system with
    lpadmin,
    tar directory /var/spool/lp, copy the tar file to this host, extract
    to clone
    all of the queues. Likely not what you want to do but sometimes brute
    force works fine.

  5. Re: no lpadmin

    On Nov 26, 5:06 pm, Doug Freyburger wrote:
    > jammer wrote:

    > > > check the file /usr/sbin/lpadmin is present in your system ?

    > > ls /usr/sbin/lpadmin
    > > /usr/sbin/lpadmin: No such file or directory

    > > How do I install it or setup a printer without it?

    > -bash-3.00$ grep /usr/lib/lpadmin /var/sadm/install/contents
    > /usr/lib/lpadmin=../sbin/lpadmin s none SUNWpcu
    > -bash-3.00$ grep /usr/sbin/lpadmin /var/sadm/install/contents
    > /usr/sbin/lpadmin f none 0555 root lp 8953 42052 1106350196 SUNWpcu
    >
    > It's in package SUNWpcu on my system. You could install that package.

    How did you find out which package it is in?

  6. Re: no lpadmin

    On Nov 26, 5:06 pm, Doug Freyburger wrote:
    > jammer wrote:

    > > > check the file /usr/sbin/lpadmin is present in your system ?

    > > ls /usr/sbin/lpadmin
    > > /usr/sbin/lpadmin: No such file or directory

    > > How do I install it or setup a printer without it?

    > -bash-3.00$ grep /usr/lib/lpadmin /var/sadm/install/contents
    > /usr/lib/lpadmin=../sbin/lpadmin s none SUNWpcu
    > -bash-3.00$ grep /usr/sbin/lpadmin /var/sadm/install/contents
    > /usr/sbin/lpadmin f none 0555 root lp 8953 42052 1106350196 SUNWpcu
    >
    > It's in package SUNWpcu on my system. You could install that package.
    >
    > If you want to be very gross, create the queue on a system with
    > lpadmin,
    > tar directory /var/spool/lp, copy the tar file to this host, extract
    > to clone
    > all of the queues. Likely not what you want to do but sometimes brute
    > force works fine.

    I don't think any of our Solaris boxes print. :-(
    $ ls /etc/lp
    /etc/lp: No such file or directory

    I installed SUNWpcu and SUNWpcr (dependency) but something else must
    must be missing.
    lpadmin works but I get:

    $ lpstat
    Printer: hplj@xxx - ERROR: spool queue for 'hplj' does not exist on
    server xxx.xxxx
    check for correct printer name or you may need to run 'checkpc -f' to
    create queue

    I ran that but I still don't have a queue (or clue).

  7. Re: no lpadmin

    jammer wrote:

> [...]

    Does it have a JetDirect card? If so look for a downloadable
    package for "hpnpl". The card uses a specific port and that
    package is for JetDirect support.

    > > It's in package SUNWpcu on my system. You could install that package.

    > I don't think any of our Solaris boxes print. :-(
    > $ ls /etc/lp
    > /etc/lp: No such file or directory

    You'll need to install the print packages on all the ones you want
    to print from. But first things first - Get the queue running on the
    first host then point at the others to it.

    > I installed SUNWpcu and SUNWpcr (dependency) but something else must
    > must be missing.
    > lpadmin works but I get:
    >
    > $ lpstat
    > Printer: hplj@xxx - ERROR: spool queue for 'hplj' does not exist on
    > server xxx.xxxx
    > check for correct printer name or you may need to run 'checkpc -f' to
    > create queue

    If xxx is the IP number of the printer then you need to dig out the
    man pages for that printer and look for lpr or BSD or Berkeley style
    printing. Plenty of printer types support it directly if you know the
    queue names they use. The names tend to be like "Text" or
    "PostScript" but they also tend to be case sensitive.

    If you have admintool and a GUI environment set up you might want
    to use it to create the queue on the first host, then a much simpler
    lpadmin command on all the other hosts to point them at that new
    queue.

  8. Re: no lpadmin

    On Nov 27, 5:51 pm, Doug Freyburger wrote:

    > Does it have a JetDirect card? If so look for a downloadable
    > package for "hpnpl". The card uses a specific port and that
    > package is for JetDirect support.
    >
    > > > It's in package SUNWpcu on my system. You could install that package.

    > > I don't think any of our Solaris boxes print. :-(
    > > $ ls /etc/lp
    > > /etc/lp: No such file or directory

    > You'll need to install the print packages on all the ones you want
    > to print from. But first things first - Get the queue running on the
    > first host then point at the others to it.
    >
    > > I installed SUNWpcu and SUNWpcr (dependency) but something else must
    > > must be missing.
    > > lpadmin works but I get:

    > > $ lpstat
    > > Printer: hplj@xxx - ERROR: spool queue for 'hplj' does not exist on
    > > server xxx.xxxx
    > > check for correct printer name or you may need to run 'checkpc -f' to
    > > create queue

    > If xxx is the IP number of the printer then you need to dig out the
    > man pages for that printer and look for lpr or BSD or Berkeley style
    > printing. Plenty of printer types support it directly if you know the
    > queue names they use. The names tend to be like "Text" or
    > "PostScript" but they also tend to be case sensitive.
    >
    > If you have admintool and a GUI environment set up you might want
    > to use it to create the queue on the first host, then a much simpler
    > lpadmin command on all the other hosts to point them at that new
    > queue.

    I only have remote console access.
    The printer is not JetDirect, is is directly connected via parallel.

    This is not supposed to be hard. :-(
    I think it is missing some of the needed packages for printing. :-(

+ Reply to Thread