stdout from background process - Unix

This is a discussion on stdout from background process - Unix ; Over several years, I have built-up a suite of backup scripts. The scripts report errors and other status to the console using 'echo', 'ls' and 'cat'. I would like to run these as a cron job. Will output to stdout ...

  1. stdout from background process

    Over several years, I have built-up a suite of backup scripts. The
    scripts report errors and other status to the console using 'echo',
    'ls' and 'cat'. I would like to run these as a cron job.

    Will output to stdout cause problems or just be ignored?

    droid
    --
    Computers are like Old Testament gods; lots of rules and no
    mercy.

  2. Re: stdout from background process

    Jim Showalter :
    > Over several years, I have built-up a suite of backup scripts. The
    > scripts report errors and other status to the console using 'echo',
    > 'ls' and 'cat'. I would like to run these as a cron job.
    >
    > Will output to stdout cause problems or just be ignored?

    Shouldn't. The jobs' stdout will be mailed to whoever owns the cron
    job, or whoever gets mail redirected from that user.

  3. Re: stdout from background process

    On Nov 8, 9:08 pm, "s. keeling" wrote:

    > Shouldn't. The jobs' stdout will be mailed to whoever owns the cron
    > job, or whoever gets mail redirected from that user.

    Cool! Maybe I'll leave them all in then. Thank you Mr. Keeling!

    droid

+ Reply to Thread