Problem with mounting nfs - Unix

This is a discussion on Problem with mounting nfs - Unix ; OS Ubuntu 606 server After I restarted one of my servers this afternoon (down to change out a failing CD/DVD drive) I am unable to mount an nfs directory. This was mounted before the shut down, for some time, and ...

  1. Problem with mounting nfs

    OS Ubuntu 606 server

    After I restarted one of my servers this afternoon (down to change out a
    failing CD/DVD drive) I am unable to mount an nfs directory. This was
    mounted before the shut down, for some time, and as far as I am aware, I
    have chnged nothing on either machine, other than the aforementiond cd
    drive.

    Now when I issue the mount command, it sits there for a minute or so, an
    then comes back with the message

    Mount: RPC: Timed out

    and the remote share is not mounted. I have checked everything I can
    think of:

    I have the correct IP number for the remote machine
    The mount point exists, and has appropriate permissions
    The remote share exists, and is listed in /etc/exports
    The remote nfsd is running
    Both machines are lightly loaded (no run aways), and have plenty of memory
    I am logged in as root on the machine where I am trying to do the mount.
    I can ping from one machine to the other, both ways.

    AS I say, this was working fine until noon today
    Anyone seen this, or have a suggestion as to what to try next?

    http://www.usenet.com

  2. Re: Problem with mounting nfs

    Hi,

    William Colls wrote:

    > OS Ubuntu 606 server
    >
    > After I restarted one of my servers this afternoon (down to change out a
    > failing CD/DVD drive) I am unable to mount an nfs directory. This was
    > mounted before the shut down, for some time, and as far as I am aware, I
    > have chnged nothing on either machine, other than the aforementiond cd
    > drive.
    >
    > Now when I issue the mount command, it sits there for a minute or so, an
    > then comes back with the message
    >
    > Mount: RPC: Timed out
    >
    > and the remote share is not mounted. I have checked everything I can
    > think of:
    >
    > I have the correct IP number for the remote machine
    > The mount point exists, and has appropriate permissions
    > The remote share exists, and is listed in /etc/exports
    > The remote nfsd is running
    > Both machines are lightly loaded (no run aways), and have plenty of memory
    > I am logged in as root on the machine where I am trying to do the mount.
    > I can ping from one machine to the other, both ways.

    assuming that on the remote machine nothing changed, it is most
    probably that on your machine the rpc-stuff is not started: on Ubuntu
    it is nfs-common I think.

    Start /etc/init.d/nfs-common -- and it should work.

    bye, gk

+ Reply to Thread