Delete empty lines from a file - Unix

This is a discussion on Delete empty lines from a file - Unix ; Hello all, I need to delete empty lines from a file (with spaces only - not null records). The following command works only for null rows, but not in case of spaces: sed '/^$/d' filename thanks in advance! Shulamit...

  1. Delete empty lines from a file

    Hello all,

    I need to delete empty lines from a file (with spaces only - not null
    records).
    The following command works only for null rows, but not in case of
    spaces:
    sed '/^$/d' filename

    thanks in advance!
    Shulamit

  2. Re: Delete empty lines from a file

    On Tue, 06 Nov 2007 02:36:46 -0800, shulamitm wrote:
    > Hello all,
    > I need to delete empty lines from a file (with spaces only - not null
    > records).
    >
    > The following command works only for null rows, but not in case of
    > spaces:
    >
    > sed '/^$/d' filename

    If you are not interested in preserving literal TAB characters, you can
    use something like this:

    expand filename | sed -e 's/^[ ]*$//'

    Handling TABs is probably easier to type in Perl:

    perl -ne 'print if (!m/^[ \t]*$/);'

  3. Re: Delete empty lines from a file

    In <1194345406.931898.200050@y42g2000hsy.googlegroups. com> shulamitm writes:

    > I need to delete empty lines from a file (with spaces only - not null
    > records).

    sed '/^ *$/d' filename

  4. Re: Delete empty lines from a file

    On Nov 6, 2:36 am, shulamitm wrote:
    > Hello all,
    >
    > I need to delete empty lines from a file (with spaces only - not null
    > records).
    > The following command works only for null rows, but not in case of
    > spaces:
    > sed '/^$/d' filename

    grep '[^ ]*' filename

  5. Re: Delete empty lines from a file

    Hi ,
    u can use grep command to delete blank lien from a file , which is :

    grep -v '^$' filenaem > new_filename

    command will delete blank lines and saved teh new contents in new_filename , and if u want again u can copy teh new_filename contents to teh previous file..which is now without blank lines.

+ Reply to Thread