Book- Linux System Programming - Unix

This is a discussion on Book- Linux System Programming - Unix ; Hi, Has anyone read the book Linux System Programming: Talking Directly to the Kernel and C Library by Robert Love. ISBN-10: 0201433079 I am working on a linux project which requires interfacing with the kernel services and have narrowed down ...

  1. Book- Linux System Programming

    Hi,
    Has anyone read the book
    Linux System Programming: Talking Directly to the Kernel and C
    Library
    by Robert Love.
    ISBN-10: 0201433079

    I am working on a linux project which requires interfacing with the
    kernel services and have narrowed down to the above book and Richard
    Stevens evergreen book "Advanced Programming in the Unix
    Environment(2nd Ed)"

    Since my current work is more Linux specific, I am more inclined
    towards Robert Love's book. But unfortunately I was unable to see any
    book reviews/comments for the same and hence posting in this forum to
    get reviews from people who have read this book.

    Thanks,
    Meson

  2. Re: Book- Linux System Programming

    On Nov 6, 6:53 am, kmeson wrote:
    > Hi,
    > Has anyone read the book
    > Linux System Programming: Talking Directly to the Kernel and C
    > Library
    > by Robert Love.
    > ISBN-10: 0201433079
    >
    > I am working on a linux project which requires interfacing with the
    > kernel services and have narrowed down to the above book and Richard
    > Stevens evergreen book "Advanced Programming in the Unix
    > Environment(2nd Ed)"
    >
    > Since my current work is more Linux specific, I am more inclined
    > towards Robert Love's book. But unfortunately I was unable to see any
    > book reviews/comments for the same and hence posting in this forum to
    > get reviews from people who have read this book.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Meson

    I didn't read the "Linux system programming" book, but if you plan to
    do anything with Linux or any other Unix in the future, be sure to
    read the Stevens' APUE book. I really couldn't tell if the LSP book is
    better for your current project, but I highly doubt it could be in any
    way generally better than the APUE. It's a UNIX bible in a way (for
    both programmers and administrators).

+ Reply to Thread