lvcreate fails - Unix

This is a discussion on lvcreate fails - Unix ; I am trying to create a logical partition within my logical volume group first pvs shows [root@susedb2 ~]# pvs PV VG Fmt Attr PSize PFree /dev/sda2 VolGroup00 lvm2 a- 9.97G 9.97G /dev/sda5 VolGroup00 lvm2 a- 249.97G 180.47G I wqant to ...

  1. lvcreate fails

    I am trying to create a logical partition within my logical volume group

    first

    pvs shows

    [root@susedb2 ~]# pvs
    PV VG Fmt Attr PSize PFree
    /dev/sda2 VolGroup00 lvm2 a- 9.97G 9.97G
    /dev/sda5 VolGroup00 lvm2 a- 249.97G 180.47G

    I wqant to create a logical parititon using all of the remainder /dev/sda5

    so I do this

    [root@susedb2 ~]# lvcreate -v -L 180.47G VolGroup00
    Finding volume group "VolGroup00"
    Rounding up size to full physical extent 180.50 GB
    Archiving volume group "VolGroup00" metadata (seqno 49).
    Creating logical volume lvol0
    Creating volume group backup "/etc/lvm/backup/VolGroup00" (seqno 50).
    Found volume group "VolGroup00"
    Creating VolGroup00-lvol0
    device-mapper: reload ioctl failed: Invalid argument
    Failed to activate new LV.

    any idea?

    in syslog i find this error

    device-mapper: table: device 8:5 too small for target
    device-mapper: table: 253:6: linear: dm-linear: Device lookup failed
    device-mapper: ioctl: error adding target to table
    device-mapper: table: device 8:5 too small for target
    device-mapper: table: 253:6: linear: dm-linear: Device lookup failed
    device-mapper: ioctl: error adding target to table

  2. Re: lvcreate fails

    Hi nobody,

    nobody wrote:
    > I am trying to create a logical partition within my logical volume group
    >
    > first
    >
    > pvs shows
    >
    > [root@susedb2 ~]# pvs
    > PV VG Fmt Attr PSize PFree
    > /dev/sda2 VolGroup00 lvm2 a- 9.97G 9.97G
    > /dev/sda5 VolGroup00 lvm2 a- 249.97G 180.47G
    >
    > I wqant to create a logical parititon using all of the remainder /dev/sda5
    >
    > so I do this
    >
    > [root@susedb2 ~]# lvcreate -v -L 180.47G VolGroup00
    > Finding volume group "VolGroup00"
    > Rounding up size to full physical extent 180.50 GB
    > Archiving volume group "VolGroup00" metadata (seqno 49).
    > Creating logical volume lvol0
    > Creating volume group backup "/etc/lvm/backup/VolGroup00" (seqno 50).
    > Found volume group "VolGroup00"
    > Creating VolGroup00-lvol0
    > device-mapper: reload ioctl failed: Invalid argument
    > Failed to activate new LV.
    >

    > any idea?
    >

    > in syslog i find this error
    >
    > device-mapper: table: device 8:5 too small for target
    > device-mapper: table: 253:6: linear: dm-linear: Device lookup failed
    > device-mapper: ioctl: error adding target to table
    > device-mapper: table: device 8:5 too small for target
    > device-mapper: table: 253:6: linear: dm-linear: Device lookup failed
    > device-mapper: ioctl: error adding target to table

    seems to me, that you are posting to several groups always with the
    same questions. Seems to me too, that you are not doing your homework:
    go and inform yourself about lvm and how it works and how you can use
    it. I think, people in Usenet are willing to help, but they expect,
    that you by yourself is doing everything, to get basic information
    about the things you ask. I have not the impression, you do. But why
    should we do your work? For that reason -- sorry -- you will walk
    straight on into my killfile now. Bye.

    --gk

+ Reply to Thread