screwed up big time help - Unix

This is a discussion on screwed up big time help - Unix ; Can someone please help. I messed with resizing logical partitions and now system will not boot i shrank /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol05 where /home partition was mounted df on /home showed 4GB I shrank the logical partition to 2.9GB and system will not ...

  1. screwed up big time help

    Can someone please help. I messed with resizing logical partitions and now
    system will not boot

    i shrank /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol05 where /home partition was mounted

    df on /home showed 4GB

    I shrank the logical partition to 2.9GB and system will not boot now

    the error is

    checking filesystems
    /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00: clean, 12856/1048576 files, 351209/1048576 blocks
    /boot: clean, 45/50400 fiiles, 46367/200812 blocks
    /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol05: The filesystem size (according to the superblock)
    is 1048576
    The physical size of the device is 409600 blocks
    Either the superblock or the partition table is likely to be corrupt!

    /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol05: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY: Run fsck manually.
    (i.e, without -a or -p options)
    /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol03: clean, 19/1048576 files, 67709/1048576 blocks
    /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol02: clean, 152219/2097152 files, 1009309/2097152
    blocks
    /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol04: clean, 1982/13107200 files, 1423680/13107200
    blocks {FAILED]

    *** An error occured during the file system check.
    *** Dropping you to a shell; the system will reboot
    *** when you leave the shell.
    Give root password for maintenance
    (or type Control-D to continue):_

    help please

  2. Re: screwed up big time help

    On Sat, 3 Nov 2007 10:30:27 -0700, nobody wrote:
    > Can someone please help. I messed with resizing logical partitions and now
    > system will not boot

    Ouch.

    > I shrank the logical partition to 2.9GB and system will not boot now
    > the error is
    >
    > checking filesystems
    > /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00: clean, 12856/1048576 files, 351209/1048576 blocks
    > /boot: clean, 45/50400 fiiles, 46367/200812 blocks
    > /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol05: The filesystem size (according to the superblock)
    > is 1048576
    > The physical size of the device is 409600 blocks
    > Either the superblock or the partition table is likely to be corrupt!

    There's a way to fsck with alternate superblocks. There's a way to use
    newfs to tell you what those would be. For better answers provide
    system details.

    > *** An error occured during the file system check.
    > *** Dropping you to a shell; the system will reboot
    > *** when you leave the shell.
    > Give root password for maintenance
    > (or type Control-D to continue):_

    > help please

    How are your backups?

  3. Re: screwed up big time help

    this is redhat enterprise 5.

    well the /home partition has nothing on it. that was mounted to
    /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol05

    that was the partition i was messing around with and screwed it up

    "Dave Hinz" wrote in message
    > On Sat, 3 Nov 2007 10:30:27 -0700, nobody wrote:
    >> Can someone please help. I messed with resizing logical partitions and
    >> now
    >> system will not boot

    > Ouch.
    >
    >> I shrank the logical partition to 2.9GB and system will not boot now
    >> the error is
    >>
    >> checking filesystems
    >> /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00: clean, 12856/1048576 files, 351209/1048576
    >> blocks
    >> /boot: clean, 45/50400 fiiles, 46367/200812 blocks
    >> /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol05: The filesystem size (according to the
    >> superblock)
    >> is 1048576
    >> The physical size of the device is 409600 blocks
    >> Either the superblock or the partition table is likely to be corrupt!

    > There's a way to fsck with alternate superblocks. There's a way to use
    > newfs to tell you what those would be. For better answers provide
    > system details.
    >
    >> *** An error occured during the file system check.
    >> *** Dropping you to a shell; the system will reboot
    >> *** when you leave the shell.
    >> Give root password for maintenance
    >> (or type Control-D to continue):_

    >> help please

    > How are your backups?

  4. Re: screwed up big time help

    On Sat, 3 Nov 2007 13:01:16 -0700, nobody wrote:
    > this is redhat enterprise 5.
    >
    > well the /home partition has nothing on it. that was mounted to
    > /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol05
    >
    > that was the partition i was messing around with and screwed it up

    1. Please don't top-post, it really farks up any hope of quoting with
    context.

    2. How are your backups.

  5. Re: screwed up big time help

    no backups at all.

  6. Re: screwed up big time help

    "nobody" wrote:

    > Can someone please help. I messed with resizing logical partitions and now
    > system will not boot
    >
    > i shrank /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol05 where /home partition was mounted
    >
    > df on /home showed 4GB
    >
    > I shrank the logical partition to 2.9GB and system will not boot now

    Go to the single user prompt. Comment out /home from /etc/fstab
    then reboot. Once up run newfs or mkfs on the new partition.

    Lessons learn - Don't resize mounted partitions unless the tool you
    are using explicitly supports that. Do read all the man pages on
    both LVM and filesystem layer. Do make backups before doing
    changes.

  7. Re: screwed up big time help

    it wont let me edit fstab. says read only file
    "Doug Freyburger" wrote in message
    news:1194126434.247285.285350@50g2000hsm.googlegro ups.com...
    > "nobody" wrote:
    >>
    >> Can someone please help. I messed with resizing logical partitions and
    >> now
    >> system will not boot
    >>
    >> i shrank /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol05 where /home partition was mounted
    >>
    >> df on /home showed 4GB
    >>
    >> I shrank the logical partition to 2.9GB and system will not boot now

    > Go to the single user prompt. Comment out /home from /etc/fstab
    > then reboot. Once up run newfs or mkfs on the new partition.
    >
    > Lessons learn - Don't resize mounted partitions unless the tool you
    > are using explicitly supports that. Do read all the man pages on
    > both LVM and filesystem layer. Do make backups before doing
    > changes.

  8. Re: screwed up big time help

    On Sat, 3 Nov 2007 15:03:10 -0700, nobody wrote:
    > it wont let me edit fstab. says read only file

    What part of "don't top-post because it ****s up being able to
    communicate effectively" are you having a hard time with.

    Sounds like you've got the potential to learn several useful things from
    this experience. Or not. Your choice.

  9. Re: screwed up big time help

    Dave Hinz wrote:
    > nobody wrote:
    >
    > > it wont let me edit fstab. says read only file

    More like read-only filesystem. Check the man pages for fsck
    and mount (look for -o remount).

    > What part of "don't top-post because it ****s up being able to
    > communicate effectively" are you having a hard time with.

    Some folks don't get that UseNet has been around for decades
    and has the standards it has for good reasons.

    > Sounds like you've got the potential to learn several useful things from
    > this experience. Or not. Your choice.

+ Reply to Thread