Simple diff question - Unix

This is a discussion on Simple diff question - Unix ; Very simple question, I hope. If I have two files or source trees, and I want to have a count of the number of lines of code that have changed from one to the next version, what is the command ...

  1. Simple diff question

    Very simple question, I hope. If I have two files or source trees, and I
    want to have a count of the number of lines of code that have changed
    from one to the next version, what is the command string to obtain this
    info using diff? Or should I be using another utility instead?

    Thanks

    Lawson English

  2. Re: Simple diff question

    On Nov 2, 10:01 pm, Lawson English wrote:
    > Very simple question, I hope. If I have two files or source trees, and I
    > want to have a count of the number of lines of code that have changed
    > from one to the next version, what is the command string to obtain this
    > info using diff? Or should I be using another utility instead?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Lawson English

    I dont think you can do that .
    you can only use diff as a a tool to compare files that are different.
    you can always use nl command to count lines, both command on the same
    line give you the result that your looking for but im afriad
    it would be very annoying outprint if you have a big file.
    i would suggest you write a perl script to do so.

    cheers,

    zaher el siddik

    http://www.unixshells.nl/
    http://elsiddik.blogspot.com/

  3. Re: Simple diff question

    I think command wc is better:
    wc -l filename
    but I don't know how to recursively deal with a directory

    "elsiddik"
    ??????:1194192898.749934.212540@o38g2000hse.google groups.com...
    > On Nov 2, 10:01 pm, Lawson English wrote:
    >> Very simple question, I hope. If I have two files or source trees, and I
    >> want to have a count of the number of lines of code that have changed
    >> from one to the next version, what is the command string to obtain this
    >> info using diff? Or should I be using another utility instead?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> Lawson English

    > I dont think you can do that .
    > you can only use diff as a a tool to compare files that are different.
    > you can always use nl command to count lines, both command on the same
    > line give you the result that your looking for but im afriad
    > it would be very annoying outprint if you have a big file.
    > i would suggest you write a perl script to do so.
    >

    > cheers,
    >
    > zaher el siddik
    >
    > http://www.unixshells.nl/
    > http://elsiddik.blogspot.com/

  4. Re: Simple diff question

    On 11/2/2007 4:01 PM, Lawson English wrote:
    > Very simple question, I hope. If I have two files or source trees, and I
    > want to have a count of the number of lines of code that have changed
    > from one to the next version, what is the command string to obtain this
    > info using diff? Or should I be using another utility instead?

    Are you looking for differences between the 2 files of source trees, or
    differences between the files listed in the 2 files of source trees?

    How do you define a "changed line"? Diff reports every "change" as "added"
    and/or "deleted" lines:

    $ cat file1
    a b c
    d e f
    g h i

    $ cat file2
    a b c
    d x f
    g h i

    $ diff file1 file2
    2c2
    < d e f
    ---
    > d x f

    I don't know of any utility that can distinguish those cases where you changed
    something within a line from those cases where you deleted a line and then later
    inserted a different but possibly similair line. Do you just want the count of
    added lines, or both added and deleted separately or something else?

    Regards,

    Ed.

+ Reply to Thread