timezone - dst calendar questions - Unix

This is a discussion on timezone - dst calendar questions - Unix ; Platform: HPUX 11.23 on Itanium Excuse me if this is a newbie question, but I'm out of my area on this. I'm really an Oracle DBA. Monday morning I found that my Sunday morning backups as well as my Oracle ...

  1. timezone - dst calendar questions

    Platform: HPUX 11.23 on Itanium

    Excuse me if this is a newbie question, but I'm out of my area on
    this. I'm really an Oracle DBA.

    Monday morning I found that my Sunday morning backups as well as my
    Oracle Enterprise Manager (db management tool) agent were broken.
    Quickly found that it was due to a mis-match between timezone specs
    between the agent and the OS -- a problem that was triggered by the
    change of DST calendar and NOT going to DST this last weekend. While
    working to resolve that (ended up applying a short-term work-around
    provided by Oracle) I brought up WinSCP on my desktop to copy a file
    between my desktop and my db server. It immediately caught my
    attention that some log files on the server were showing timestamps an
    hour into the future. Just to confirm, I created a new file on the
    HPUX box (touch myfile) then compared the timestamp shown by 'ls -l'
    with that shown in the gui on WinSCP. Sure enough, the times were
    off. On the server itself 'ls -l' showed the files timestamp at
    13:47, but WinSCP shows the same file at 2:47pm (14:47). The timestamp
    on the files,as well as the values returned by 'date' are correct.

    Looks to me like perhaps a timezone or dst patch has yet to be applied
    to the HPUX.

    Comments?

  2. Re: timezone - dst calendar questions

    EdStevens wrote:
    > Platform: HPUX 11.23 on Itanium
    >
    > Excuse me if this is a newbie question, but I'm out of my area on
    > this. I'm really an Oracle DBA.
    >
    > Monday morning I found that my Sunday morning backups as well as my
    > Oracle Enterprise Manager (db management tool) agent were broken.
    > Quickly found that it was due to a mis-match between timezone specs
    > between the agent and the OS -- a problem that was triggered by the
    > change of DST calendar and NOT going to DST this last weekend. While
    > working to resolve that (ended up applying a short-term work-around
    > provided by Oracle) I brought up WinSCP on my desktop to copy a file
    > between my desktop and my db server. It immediately caught my
    > attention that some log files on the server were showing timestamps an
    > hour into the future. Just to confirm, I created a new file on the
    > HPUX box (touch myfile) then compared the timestamp shown by 'ls -l'
    > with that shown in the gui on WinSCP. Sure enough, the times were
    > off. On the server itself 'ls -l' showed the files timestamp at
    > 13:47, but WinSCP shows the same file at 2:47pm (14:47). The timestamp
    > on the files,as well as the values returned by 'date' are correct.
    >
    > Looks to me like perhaps a timezone or dst patch has yet to be applied
    > to the HPUX.
    >
    > Comments?

    1. Show the system time:

    date

    2. Show the system time zone:

    echo $TZ
    cat /etc/TIMEZONE

    Perhaps the system time zone is wrongly set.

    --
    Michael Tosch @ hp : com

  3. Re: timezone - dst calendar questions

    On Oct 30, 4:22 pm, Michael Tosch
    wrote:
    > EdStevens wrote:
    > > Platform: HPUX 11.23 on Itanium

    > > Excuse me if this is a newbie question, but I'm out of my area on
    > > this. I'm really an Oracle DBA.

    > > Monday morning I found that my Sunday morning backups as well as my
    > > Oracle Enterprise Manager (db management tool) agent were broken.
    > > Quickly found that it was due to a mis-match between timezone specs
    > > between the agent and the OS -- a problem that was triggered by the
    > > change of DST calendar and NOT going to DST this last weekend. While
    > > working to resolve that (ended up applying a short-term work-around
    > > provided by Oracle) I brought up WinSCP on my desktop to copy a file
    > > between my desktop and my db server. It immediately caught my
    > > attention that some log files on the server were showing timestamps an
    > > hour into the future. Just to confirm, I created a new file on the
    > > HPUX box (touch myfile) then compared the timestamp shown by 'ls -l'
    > > with that shown in the gui on WinSCP. Sure enough, the times were
    > > off. On the server itself 'ls -l' showed the files timestamp at
    > > 13:47, but WinSCP shows the same file at 2:47pm (14:47). The timestamp
    > > on the files,as well as the values returned by 'date' are correct.

    > > Looks to me like perhaps a timezone or dst patch has yet to be applied
    > > to the HPUX.

    > > Comments?

    > 1. Show the system time:
    >
    > date
    >
    > 2. Show the system time zone:
    >
    > echo $TZ
    > cat /etc/TIMEZONE
    >
    > Perhaps the system time zone is wrongly set.
    >
    > --
    > Michael Tosch @ hp : com

    $> date
    Wed Oct 31 08:28:53 CDT 2007

    $> echo $TZ
    CST6CDT

    $> cat /etc/TIMEZONE
    TZ=CST6CDT
    export TZ

    btw, we are in the Nashville, TN area. US Central time zone.

  4. Re: timezone - dst calendar questions

    EdStevens wrote:
    > On Oct 30, 4:22 pm, Michael Tosch
    > wrote:
    >> EdStevens wrote:
    >>> Platform: HPUX 11.23 on Itanium
    >>> Excuse me if this is a newbie question, but I'm out of my area on
    >>> this. I'm really an Oracle DBA.
    >>> Monday morning I found that my Sunday morning backups as well as my
    >>> Oracle Enterprise Manager (db management tool) agent were broken.
    >>> Quickly found that it was due to a mis-match between timezone specs
    >>> between the agent and the OS -- a problem that was triggered by the
    >>> change of DST calendar and NOT going to DST this last weekend. While
    >>> working to resolve that (ended up applying a short-term work-around
    >>> provided by Oracle) I brought up WinSCP on my desktop to copy a file
    >>> between my desktop and my db server. It immediately caught my
    >>> attention that some log files on the server were showing timestamps an
    >>> hour into the future. Just to confirm, I created a new file on the
    >>> HPUX box (touch myfile) then compared the timestamp shown by 'ls -l'
    >>> with that shown in the gui on WinSCP. Sure enough, the times were
    >>> off. On the server itself 'ls -l' showed the files timestamp at
    >>> 13:47, but WinSCP shows the same file at 2:47pm (14:47). The timestamp
    >>> on the files,as well as the values returned by 'date' are correct.
    >>> Looks to me like perhaps a timezone or dst patch has yet to be applied
    >>> to the HPUX.
    >>> Comments?

    >> 1. Show the system time:
    >>
    >> date
    >>
    >> 2. Show the system time zone:
    >>
    >> echo $TZ
    >> cat /etc/TIMEZONE
    >>
    >> Perhaps the system time zone is wrongly set.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Michael Tosch @ hp : com

    > $> date
    > Wed Oct 31 08:28:53 CDT 2007
    >
    > $> echo $TZ
    > CST6CDT
    >
    > $> cat /etc/TIMEZONE
    > TZ=CST6CDT
    > export TZ
    >

    > btw, we are in the Nashville, TN area. US Central time zone.

    Yes, probably the DST patch is missing on your HP-UX system.

    Get an account on

    https://www4.itrc.hp.com/service/patch/mainPage.do

    Search for patch PHCO_36098
    and download it.

    Run
    sh PHCO_36098

    It extracts PHCO_36098.depot (kind of a tar file)

    Install it your system with the command
    swinstall -s /path/to/PHCO_36098.depot \*

    I think your system must be rebooted, so the change
    has an affect on all running processes.

    --
    Michael Tosch @ hp : com

+ Reply to Thread