newbie needs help splitting a large UNIX file and moving pieces via ftp to windows - Unix

This is a discussion on newbie needs help splitting a large UNIX file and moving pieces via ftp to windows - Unix ; I need to move a single large 100MB file from a remote UNIX disk to my windows box. I will do the move with ftp and since the ftp connection is flakey, I need to split up the file into ...

  1. newbie needs help splitting a large UNIX file and moving pieces via ftp to windows

    I need to move a single large 100MB file from a remote UNIX disk to my
    windows box. I will do the move with ftp and since the ftp connection
    is flakey, I need to split up the file into 10MB chunks.

    Ideally I would like to use a UNIX zip command that would zip the file
    into 10 pieces and then I could unzip using winzip on the windows
    side.

    I have tried tar, zip and zipsplit but have been unsuccessful

    Anybody know how to do this?

    thanks!

  2. Re: newbie needs help splitting a large UNIX file and moving pieces via ftp to windows

    On 2007-10-24, jeanluc wrote:
    > I need to move a single large 100MB file from a remote UNIX disk to my
    > windows box. I will do the move with ftp and since the ftp connection
    > is flakey, I need to split up the file into 10MB chunks.
    >
    > Ideally I would like to use a UNIX zip command that would zip the file
    > into 10 pieces and then I could unzip using winzip on the windows
    > side.

    I've not needed to do this do a while, but last time I checked Unix
    support for multi-volume zip files was patchy at best. The usual
    way to do this on Unix is via the split command. It syntax does
    vary from system to system so do a man split if you have any issues,
    but on most systems you can do something like:

    split -b 10m input.file

    This will create as many files as required to carve the input file
    into 10 Mb chunks, named sequentially input.file.xaa, input.file.xab,
    input.file.xac and so on. Shift them over to the Windows system
    using whatever mechanism you wish. You can't, AFAIK, recombine
    them from the Windows GUI without any additional tools so open up
    a command prompt window, cd to the right folder, and then:

    copy /b input.file.xaa+input.file.xab+input.file.xac+... input.file /b

    Yes, ISTR you need both /b options - don't ask me why.

    --
    Andrew Smallshaw
    andrews@sdf.lonestar.org

+ Reply to Thread