How to change telnet service under ssh - Unix

This is a discussion on How to change telnet service under ssh - Unix ; Hi, Is that possible to make telnet deamon under ssh withou any change to telnet application itself? I have a program running at port 23 and I want to make sure all communication of it under cypt. For more simplity, ...

  1. How to change telnet service under ssh

    Hi,
    Is that possible to make telnet deamon under ssh withou any change to
    telnet application itself? I have a program running at port 23 and I
    want to make sure all communication of it under cypt. For more simplity,
    my user now using telnet server:23 to connect the application, can I use
    stunnel or openSSH to stunnel the communication to make them run:
    ssh server:22 to connect this application? Thanks!

    Regards!
    Bo

  2. Re: How to change telnet service under ssh

    Bo Yang writes:

    > Hi,
    > Is that possible to make telnet deamon under ssh withou any change
    > to telnet application itself? I have a program running at port 23 and
    > I want to make sure all communication of it under cypt. For more
    > simplity, my user now using telnet server:23 to connect the
    > application, can I use stunnel or openSSH to stunnel the communication
    > to make them run:
    > ssh server:22 to connect this application? Thanks!

    Your question does not as such make sense.

    Telnet protocol is unencrypted, and that is why ssh was invented in
    the first place.

    If you dislike telnet, you must disable or restrict the daemon.
    --
    Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen

  3. Re: How to change telnet service under ssh

    Thorbjoern Ravn Andersen :
    > Bo Yang writes:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >> Is that possible to make telnet deamon under ssh withou any change
    >> to telnet application itself? I have a program running at port 23 and
    >> I want to make sure all communication of it under cypt. For more
    >> simplity, my user now using telnet server:23 to connect the
    >> application, can I use stunnel or openSSH to stunnel the communication
    >> to make them run:
    >> ssh server:22 to connect this application? Thanks!

    > Your question does not as such make sense.
    >
    > Telnet protocol is unencrypted, and that is why ssh was invented in
    > the first place.
    >
    > If you dislike telnet, you must disable or restrict the daemon.

    I am sorry if I did not express my question clearly. I just want a cryt
    tunnel with ssh certification mechanism and then redirect the stream to
    the application listening on port 23, is that possible?

    Thanks!

  4. Re: How to change telnet service under ssh

    Thorbjoern Ravn Andersen :
    > Bo Yang writes:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >> Is that possible to make telnet deamon under ssh withou any change
    >> to telnet application itself? I have a program running at port 23 and
    >> I want to make sure all communication of it under cypt. For more
    >> simplity, my user now using telnet server:23 to connect the
    >> application, can I use stunnel or openSSH to stunnel the communication
    >> to make them run:
    >> ssh server:22 to connect this application? Thanks!

    > Your question does not as such make sense.
    >
    > Telnet protocol is unencrypted, and that is why ssh was invented in
    > the first place.
    >
    > If you dislike telnet, you must disable or restrict the daemon.

    For more detail, the certification should be done by my application, but
    I want the whole network stream under SSH, is this possible?

    Regards!
    Bo

  5. Re: How to change telnet service under ssh

    On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 16:30:19 +0800, Bo Yang wrote:

    > I am sorry if I did not express my question clearly. I just want a cryt
    > tunnel with ssh certification mechanism and then redirect the stream to
    > the application listening on port 23, is that possible?

    Yes, an open source project called stunnel can do this and similar
    things. But, the only time I've needed to use it was to support an app
    which had already been designed.

    The real quesiton is - what are you trying to accomplish? Nearly always
    in Unix, if you're trying to do something the hard way, your approach
    could be different.

  6. Re: How to change telnet service under ssh

    Dave Hinz :
    > On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 16:30:19 +0800, Bo Yang wrote:
    >
    >> I am sorry if I did not express my question clearly. I just want a cryt
    >> tunnel with ssh certification mechanism and then redirect the stream to
    >> the application listening on port 23, is that possible?

    > Yes, an open source project called stunnel can do this and similar
    > things. But, the only time I've needed to use it was to support an app
    > which had already been designed.

    Yes, my server application was designed serveral years ago and now I
    want to add some secure function into it.
    If I put stunnel listen on port 2000 and then configure it to redirect
    all stream to port 32 where my server is listening. Could you please
    tell me that can I use command such as :

    ssh server:2000

    to access my server. What I am concerning is that the account/password
    certification is carried by my server application.

    Thanks!

    > The real quesiton is - what are you trying to accomplish? Nearly always
    > in Unix, if you're trying to do something the hard way, your approach
    > could be different.

    I am just trying to cryt all the communication between my server and
    term client. And my server is a daemon listening on port 23 just like a
    telnet deamon. Thanks!

    Regards!
    Bo

  7. Re: How to change telnet service under ssh

    Bo Yang writes:

    > I am sorry if I did not express my question clearly. I just want a
    > cryt tunnel with ssh certification mechanism and then redirect the
    > stream to the application listening on port 23, is that possible?

    Look into port forwarding in e.g. ssh.

    You then telnet to localhost on a given port and it is transparently
    forwarded to the desired destination (which does not have to be on the
    ssh server machine).
    --
    Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen

  8. Re: How to change telnet service under ssh

    On Oct 24, 12:14 am, Thorbjoern Ravn Andersen
    wrote:
    > Bo Yang writes:
    > > I am sorry if I did not express my question clearly. I just want a
    > > cryt tunnel with ssh certification mechanism and then redirect the
    > > stream to the application listening on port 23, is that possible?

    > Look into port forwarding in e.g. ssh.
    >
    > You then telnet to localhost on a given port and it is transparently
    > forwarded to the desired destination (which does not have to be on the
    > ssh server machine).

    I am sorry, but my client is hard coding to connect to ssh port. I
    mean, my client just connect the port 22 to the server using ssh
    protocol. I want the clients go to ssh port get the response from the
    telnet port. And the Authentication should be played by the
    application on port 23. I try stunnel, it did not help. Could you
    please tell me how to achieve this?

    Regards!
    Bo

  9. Re: How to change telnet service under ssh

    On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 11:09:29 -0000, Bo Yang wrote:

    > I am sorry, but my client is hard coding to connect to ssh port. I
    > mean, my client just connect the port 22 to the server using ssh
    > protocol. I want the clients go to ssh port get the response from the
    > telnet port. And the Authentication should be played by the
    > application on port 23. I try stunnel, it did not help. Could you
    > please tell me how to achieve this?
    >
    > Regards!

    stunnel will do this but, is a rather complicated tool to set up. There
    is an stunnel-users mailing list with a good searchable archive which
    would be most useful to you on this topic.

    Dave Hinz

  10. Re: How to change telnet service under ssh

    Bo Yang writes:

    > I am sorry, but my client is hard coding to connect to ssh port. I
    > mean, my client just connect the port 22 to the server using ssh
    > protocol. I want the clients go to ssh port get the response from the
    > telnet port. And the Authentication should be played by the
    > application on port 23. I try stunnel, it did not help. Could you
    > please tell me how to achieve this?

    I am afraid I do not fully understand your scenario then.

    Sorry, perhaps others can.
    --
    Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen

+ Reply to Thread