/etc/hosts file - Unix

This is a discussion on /etc/hosts file - Unix ; Hi, i need to add some machines names to my /etc/hosts but i do not have root privileges. The way each user can have his on .bashrc, .profile , etc, can we have a hosts file, where we are free ...

  1. /etc/hosts file

    Hi,
    i need to add some machines names to my /etc/hosts but i do
    not have root privileges.
    The way each user can have his on .bashrc, .profile , etc,
    can we have a hosts file, where we are free to give whatever name to
    out favorite machine, with out disturbing the administrator
    I know that we can use alias some machine to ip-address, but is there
    any direct method

    Rakesh UV

  2. Re: /etc/hosts file

    Rakesh UV writes:

    > i need to add some machines names to my /etc/hosts but i do
    > not have root privileges.

    What problem are you trying to solve?

    If it is that you want to add new machines without to put them in DNS,
    then consider using Zeroconf/Bonjour/Rendezvous for this.

    Apple has a package for Windows.

    For Linux it is sufficient to have Avahi installed on each host, then
    machine "foobar" is known as "foobar.local.".

    I use this in a mixed Mac/Windows/Linux environment (physical and
    virtual) it works well.
    --
    Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen

+ Reply to Thread