Different traceroute hops between Solaris and Linux - Unix

This is a discussion on Different traceroute hops between Solaris and Linux - Unix ; Hi, I have two NIS clients (on Linux and one Solaris). The Linux box shows poor performance when querying the NIS server: [root@linux ]# time id user uid=31585(user) gid=31585(u_031585) groups=31585(u_031585) real 0m16.979s user 0m0.040s sys 0m0.090s root@solaris # time id ...

  1. Different traceroute hops between Solaris and Linux

    Hi,

    I have two NIS clients (on Linux and one Solaris). The Linux box shows
    poor performance when querying the NIS server:

    [root@linux ]# time id user
    uid=31585(user) gid=31585(u_031585) groups=31585(u_031585)

    real 0m16.979s
    user 0m0.040s
    sys 0m0.090s

    root@solaris # time id user
    uid=31585(user) gid=31585(u_031585)

    real 0.0
    user 0.0
    sys 0.0

    When I do a traceroute from both clients to the NIS server, the Linux
    box have 5 hops. Solaris gets connected directly without hops. Both
    clients are in the same datacenter.

    The Linux has IP 145.6.243.X
    The Solaris has IP 145.6.246.X
    The NIS Server has IP 145.6.246.Y

    Both Linux and Solaris are in the same DC, with the same subnet mask.
    Could this be a configuration error, or software bug in Linux? Or a
    routing table problem?

    Would appreciate some help.

    Thanks,
    Faisal

  2. Re: Different traceroute hops between Solaris and Linux

    Faisal Abdullah writes:

    > The Linux has IP 145.6.243.X
    > The Solaris has IP 145.6.246.X
    > The NIS Server has IP 145.6.246.Y

    > Both Linux and Solaris are in the same DC, with the same subnet mask.

    what subnet mask?

    > Could this be a configuration error, or software bug in Linux? Or a
    > routing table problem?

    netstat -rn

    --
    12. Gebot: Wenn Ihr eine Fahrradklingel hört, wechsele die, die links geht
    nach rechts, die die rechts geht nach links, aber nicht bis zum Straßenrand.

+ Reply to Thread