Migrating from exchange to ldap - Unix

This is a discussion on Migrating from exchange to ldap - Unix ; I'll have to migrate a windows server to linux (using a new server). Is there a tool which helps me to automatize the migration from the exchange address book to an ldap one? I can write from scratch internal users ...

  1. Migrating from exchange to ldap

    I'll have to migrate a windows server to linux (using a new server).
    Is there a tool which helps me to automatize the migration from the
    exchange address book to an ldap one?

    I can write from scratch internal users (not many).

    Another thing, I think I'll use debian but some suggests ubuntu
    server, which are the differences?

    THanks a lot

  2. Re: Migrating from exchange to ldap

    andrea wrote:
    > I'll have to migrate a windows server to linux (using a new server).
    > Is there a tool which helps me to automatize the migration from the
    > exchange address book to an ldap one?
    >
    > I can write from scratch internal users (not many).
    >
    > Another thing, I think I'll use debian but some suggests ubuntu
    > server, which are the differences?
    >
    > THanks a lot

    Sorry can't help with ldap item.

    Ubuntu is based on debian, with all the advantages that implies. One of
    the reasons we choose ubuntu over pure debian, was the predictable
    release/upgrade path and the commitment to 5 years of support for
    designated server versions. So the 6.06 version is good until June 2011.
    The next LTS release is sometime next year.

    http://www.usenet.com

  3. Re: Migrating from exchange to ldap

    On 13 Ott, 17:01, William Colls wrote:
    > andrea wrote:
    > > I'll have to migrate a windows server to linux (using a new server).
    > > Is there a tool which helps me to automatize the migration from the
    > > exchange address book to an ldap one?

    > > I can write from scratch internal users (not many).

    > > Another thing, I think I'll use debian but some suggests ubuntu
    > > server, which are the differences?

    > > THanks a lot

    > Sorry can't help with ldap item.
    >
    > Ubuntu is based on debian, with all the advantages that implies. One of
    > the reasons we choose ubuntu over pure debian, was the predictable
    > release/upgrade path and the commitment to 5 years of support for
    > designated server versions. So the 6.06 version is good until June 2011.
    > The next LTS release is sometime next year.

    > http://www.usenet.com

    Ok thanks, and are the performances almost the same?
    I think ubuntu lts may be right, and what about the packages??
    Do they use only very old versions or upgrade even in the lts version?
    Downloading it

  4. Re: Migrating from exchange to ldap

    andrea wrote:
    > On 13 Ott, 17:01, William Colls wrote:
    >> andrea wrote:
    >>> I'll have to migrate a windows server to linux (using a new server).
    >>> Is there a tool which helps me to automatize the migration from the
    >>> exchange address book to an ldap one?
    >>> I can write from scratch internal users (not many).
    >>> Another thing, I think I'll use debian but some suggests ubuntu
    >>> server, which are the differences?
    >>> THanks a lot

    >> Sorry can't help with ldap item.
    >>
    >> Ubuntu is based on debian, with all the advantages that implies. One of
    >> the reasons we choose ubuntu over pure debian, was the predictable
    >> release/upgrade path and the commitment to 5 years of support for
    >> designated server versions. So the 6.06 version is good until June 2011.
    >> The next LTS release is sometime next year.
    >>
    >> Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    >> ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    >> http://www.usenet.com

    > Ok thanks, and are the performances almost the same?
    > I think ubuntu lts may be right, and what about the packages??
    > Do they use only very old versions or upgrade even in the lts version?
    > Downloading it

    I have little experience with pure debian, so no comment on the performance.

    Generally, thy seem to stay with the version released when the
    distribution was frozen. So some of the packages are getting a little
    long in the tooth (trac, for example, is still at 9.3). They produce
    security fixes, and sometime bug fixes.

    http://www.usenet.com

  5. Re: Migrating from exchange to ldap

    Ok very slowly I'm getting used to openldap, I still have to
    understand one thing, what openldap can (and should) do and what
    can't.

    For example, I will have these services:
    - openvpn (the only one open from the outside)
    - samba
    - mail server (postfix or qmail still to decide)
    - mysql
    - webmin
    (other eventually)

    I know it's working with samba, mysql, but is it better to use it
    anywhere is possible or could it be a weak point in the server conf?

    Another thing. I configured a simple address book and I'm able see and
    look for from phpldapadmin but not the tiger address book and the
    thunderbird mail (both should be compatible).

    And I don't even see any errors, does it logs only on the server?
    Thanks a lot

+ Reply to Thread