Unix Command Help - Unix Tutorial

This is a discussion on Unix Command Help - Unix Tutorial ; Hi I am new bee to unix. I have 2 queries 1. i have a jboss log file, which keeps appending , i would like to find certain exception in the log file which keeps appending. I am using tail ...

  1. Unix Command Help

    Hi

    I am new bee to unix.

    I have 2 queries

    1. i have a jboss log file, which keeps appending , i would like to find certain exception in the log file which keeps appending.

    I am using tail - f (filename),

    I dont want to use vi

    instead i am using tail -f -s 10 (filename), but it is sleeping for certain time and again appending.

    2. i want to find only exceptions in the log file which keeps appending.

    Plz help me

  2. Thumbs up Re: Unix Command Help

    HI Chaitanya,
    I too want to know about your 2nd Query, but the 1st query, you can get the solution from UNIX group, You join the group and they will solve your queries. I too had many queries related to Unix Command, and i got the solution after joining the UNIX group. If you have more queries join the UNIX group.
    All the Best.

  3. Re: Unix Command Help

    Maybe timber should look up this stuff too.

    The 'ps' command requires some additional options to list ALL processes running on your system. Different systems use different options to accomplish this. Check the manual pages or info pages on your system to see what options you need.

    "!!" tells the C SHELL ('csh' or 'tcsh') to repeat the last command. The Bourne shell ('sh') does not have any access to previous commands. POSIX-compliant shells such as 'bash' and 'ksh' have yet another mechanism. To see which is relevant to you, run 'ps' to see what shell you are running and then look up the manual or info pages for that shell.

+ Reply to Thread