Confused about "desktop shell" - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Confused about "desktop shell" - Ubuntu ; The one thing that Windows XP has that is good is Windows Shell. A very dynamic and easy to use shell giving access to the whole filesystem and a few other things by means of GUI. Linux has something called ...

  1. Confused about "desktop shell"

    The one thing that Windows XP has that is good is Windows Shell. A
    very dynamic and easy to use shell giving access to the whole
    filesystem and a few other things by means of GUI.

    Linux has something called Nautilus, which is also not bad, though I
    find it somewhat less convenient than Windows shell.

    (normally I use command line, but Nautilus is great for automounting
    thumb drives, and so on).

    However, now Nautilus is not even a part of default Ubuntu install?
    Does not show up in the menu, it seems. I can install and run it, but
    it is not there waiting for me.

    So, is there any other "desktop shell" for Ubuntu, I suspect that I am
    missing something big.

    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  2. Re: Confused about "desktop shell"

    * Ignoramus4763 wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:

    > The one thing that Windows XP has that is good is Windows Shell. A
    > very dynamic and easy to use shell giving access to the whole
    > filesystem and a few other things by means of GUI.
    >
    > Linux has something called Nautilus, which is also not bad, though I
    > find it somewhat less convenient than Windows shell.

    Apples and Oranges. The Windows Shell is not just Windows Explorer.

    nautilus is to explorer as Gnome is to The Windows Shell. While 'explorer'
    is the process is is so much more than just the file manager in that
    context.

    > (normally I use command line, but Nautilus is great for automounting
    > thumb drives, and so on).
    >
    > However, now Nautilus is not even a part of default Ubuntu install?
    > Does not show up in the menu, it seems. I can install and run it, but
    > it is not there waiting for me.

    I havent installed .10 yet, but what happens when you doule click on the
    computer icon on the desktop or a mounted drive, etc?

    > So, is there any other "desktop shell" for Ubuntu, I suspect that I am
    > missing something big.

    Me Too.

    --
    David

  3. Re: Confused about "desktop shell"

    Michael B. Trausch wrote:

    ..

    > Also, you can tweak Nautilus' desktop behavior by changing its settings
    > in the GConf database. You can do this by opening gconf-editor (press
    > Alt+F2 on a default Ubuntu installation in order to get a "Run" dialog,
    > and type "gconf-editor" (without the quotes) and press OK or to
    > start it. Desktop settings are under apps→nautilus→desktop.

    Or, as someone mentioned, you can add gconf-editor to your menu.
    Right click the Applications (in panel) and pick Edit Menus.
    Go to Applications / System Tools and check Configurations Editor.

  4. Re: Confused about "desktop shell"

    On 2008-11-11, Michael B. Trausch wrote:
    > On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 13:50:51 -0600
    > Ignoramus4763 wrote:
    >
    >> The one thing that Windows XP has that is good is Windows Shell. A
    >> very dynamic and easy to use shell giving access to the whole
    >> filesystem and a few other things by means of GUI.
    >>
    >> Linux has something called Nautilus, which is also not bad, though I
    >> find it somewhat less convenient than Windows shell.
    >>

    > On Ubuntu, Nautilus is what presents the desktop and the file
    > management ability. The icons on your desktop, for example, are
    > provided by Nautilus. Nautilus is part of the GNOME desktop.
    >
    > The shell you talk about on Windows (which includes the desktop, the
    > start menu, the task bar, and the system tray) are all different
    > components under GNOME, making it quite modular. Panels are provided
    > for by gnome-panel, the desktop and file manager is Nautilus, and so
    > forth.

    I agree.

    >> (normally I use command line, but Nautilus is great for automounting
    >> thumb drives, and so on).
    >>
    >> However, now Nautilus is not even a part of default Ubuntu install?
    >> Does not show up in the menu, it seems. I can install and run it, but
    >> it is not there waiting for me.
    >>

    > You can open a new Nautilus window by going to Places and opening one
    > of the selections there.

    Hahaha. I fully missed that Places menu! Thanks a lot!

    > Also, you can tweak Nautilus' desktop behavior by changing its settings
    > in the GConf database. You can do this by opening gconf-editor (press
    > Alt+F2 on a default Ubuntu installation in order to get a "Run" dialog,
    > and type "gconf-editor" (without the quotes) and press OK or to
    > start it. Desktop settings are under apps???nautilus???desktop.

    You know, just that Places thing fully got me started, that is what I
    was missing. I am now quite happy. I get everything from this desktop,
    that I need, more or less.
    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  5. Re: Confused about "desktop shell"

    On 2008-11-11, SINNER wrote:
    > * Ignoramus4763 wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    >
    >> The one thing that Windows XP has that is good is Windows Shell. A
    >> very dynamic and easy to use shell giving access to the whole
    >> filesystem and a few other things by means of GUI.
    >>
    >> Linux has something called Nautilus, which is also not bad, though I
    >> find it somewhat less convenient than Windows shell.

    > Apples and Oranges. The Windows Shell is not just Windows Explorer.
    >
    > nautilus is to explorer as Gnome is to The Windows Shell. While 'explorer'
    > is the process is is so much more than just the file manager in that
    > context.
    >

    >> (normally I use command line, but Nautilus is great for automounting
    >> thumb drives, and so on).
    >>
    >> However, now Nautilus is not even a part of default Ubuntu install?
    >> Does not show up in the menu, it seems. I can install and run it, but
    >> it is not there waiting for me.

    > I havent installed .10 yet, but what happens when you doule click on the
    > computer icon on the desktop or a mounted drive, etc?
    >

    >> So, is there any other "desktop shell" for Ubuntu, I suspect that I am
    >> missing something big.

    > Me Too.

    What I was missing was the "Places" menu. I am now very content.
    posting on Usenet.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

  6. Re: Confused about "desktop shell"

    Ignoramus4763 wrote:
    > However, now Nautilus is not even a part of default Ubuntu install?

    Put down the crack pipe.

    > Does not show up in the menu, it seems. I can install and run it, but
    > it is not there waiting for me.

    Drugs are bad.

    > I suspect that I am
    > missing something big.

    More than a few brain cells.

    --Benjamin Franklin

  7. Re: Confused about "desktop shell"

    On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 16:21:08 -0600, Ignoramus4763 wrote:

    >>> So, is there any other "desktop shell" for Ubuntu, I suspect that I am
    >>> missing something big.

    >> Me Too.

    > What I was missing was the "Places" menu. I am now very content.

    But just as incompetent and stupid.

    The old saying "ignorance is bliss" is hereby proven to be true.