Help: Where are my mails ? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Help: Where are my mails ? - Ubuntu ; I just clean installed Kubuntu 8.10. Before doing this, I made a backup of my 8.04 /home, /etc /usr, /var with rsnapshot (I have daily, weekly & monthly backups). I now restored the /home/marc/.kde/share/apps/kmail from my 8.04 backup to my ...

  1. Help: Where are my mails ?

    I just clean installed Kubuntu 8.10.
    Before doing this, I made a backup of my 8.04 /home, /etc /usr, /var with rsnapshot (I have daily, weekly & monthly backups).

    I now restored the /home/marc/.kde/share/apps/kmail from my 8.04 backup to my 8.10 home directory.
    When I open kmail via Kontact, my account information is gone.
    In my mail folders, I can see the mail in inbox listed, but when I click on them, I cannot see the content, and in the mail listbox, the subject, sender and date columns change to unknown.

    So here is the question, how can I get to read my mails again ?

    Something similar happened to my contacts, they are all gone,
    and when I look in all my backups, I see that the directory
    /home/marc/.kde/share/apps/kaddressbook is empty.

    Is the information stored elsewhere, or am I doing something wrong while restoring the files ?

    --
    MarcB
    https://sites.google.com/site/marcshomesite/Home

  2. Re: Help: Where are my mails ?

    Bada bing MarcB bada bang:
    > I just clean installed Kubuntu 8.10.
    > Before doing this, I made a backup of my 8.04 /home, /etc /usr, /var with rsnapshot (I have daily, weekly & monthly backups).
    >
    > I now restored the /home/marc/.kde/share/apps/kmail from my 8.04 backup to my 8.10 home directory.
    > When I open kmail via Kontact, my account information is gone.
    > In my mail folders, I can see the mail in inbox listed, but when I click on them, I cannot see the content, and in the mail listbox, the subject, sender and date columns change to unknown.
    >
    > So here is the question, how can I get to read my mails again ?

    Did you restore .kde/share/config/kmailrc in order to tell Kmail
    where everything is?

    > Something similar happened to my contacts, they are all gone,
    > and when I look in all my backups, I see that the directory
    > /home/marc/.kde/share/apps/kaddressbook is empty.

    Try ~/.kde/share/apps/kabc

    > Is the information stored elsewhere, or am I doing something wrong while restoring the files ?

    Mike "I vote elsewhere" Yetto
    --
    Pluralitas non est ponenda sine necessitas.
    - William of Ockham

  3. Re: Help: Where are my mails ?

    Mike Yetto wrote:

    > Bada bing MarcB bada bang:
    >> I just clean installed Kubuntu 8.10.
    >> Before doing this, I made a backup of my 8.04 /home, /etc /usr, /var with
    >> rsnapshot (I have daily, weekly & monthly backups).
    >>
    >> I now restored the /home/marc/.kde/share/apps/kmail from my 8.04 backup
    >> to my 8.10 home directory. When I open kmail via Kontact, my account
    >> information is gone. In my mail folders, I can see the mail in inbox
    >> listed, but when I click on them, I cannot see the content, and in the
    >> mail listbox, the subject, sender and date columns change to unknown.
    >>
    >> So here is the question, how can I get to read my mails again ?
    >>

    >> Something similar happened to my contacts, they are all gone,
    >> and when I look in all my backups, I see that the directory
    >> /home/marc/.kde/share/apps/kaddressbook is empty.

    >> Is the information stored elsewhere, or am I doing something wrong while
    >> restoring the files ?
    >>

    > Mike "I vote elsewhere" Yetto

    Thanks for your reply.

    After copying the files, Kontact starts up with a messagebox that another instance is already running and asks me to continue starting Kontact or not.

    > Try ~/.kde/share/apps/kabc

    Contacts are back now, but there is something strange about the display.
    The panel that gives an overview of all contacts is blank, but when I click in it, details of a contact appear in the contact details panel.
    it is like there is white text on a white background, so they are not visible. When I scroll down the contact list however I see a number of contacts displayed normally.
    So certain contacts are normally visible and others are invisible, very strange.

    Another thing happens when I want to edit a contact.
    A popup shows with following error message:
    The resource '/home/marc/.kde/share/apps/kabc/std.vcf' is locked by application ''.

    > Did you restore .kde/share/config/kmailrc in order to tell Kmail
    > where everything is?

    I did this just now, but no changes.
    As everything was copied on a fat 32 external drive, file permissions were changed, so I changed them back to owner=marc and group=marc,
    and let krusader do this recursively for all underlying files and directories.

    --
    MarcB

  4. Re: Help: Where are my mails ?

    > Thanks for your reply.
    >
    > After copying the files, Kontact starts up with a messagebox that another
    > instance is already running and asks me to continue starting Kontact or
    > not.
    >
    >> Try ~/.kde/share/apps/kabc

    > Contacts are back now, but there is something strange about the display.
    > The panel that gives an overview of all contacts is blank, but when I
    > click in it, details of a contact appear in the contact details panel.
    > it is like there is white text on a white background, so they are not
    > visible. When I scroll down the contact list however I see a number of
    > contacts displayed normally. So certain contacts are normally visible and
    > others are invisible, very strange.
    >
    > Another thing happens when I want to edit a contact.
    > A popup shows with following error message:
    > The resource '/home/marc/.kde/share/apps/kabc/std.vcf' is locked by
    > application ''.
    >
    >> Did you restore .kde/share/config/kmailrc in order to tell Kmail
    >> where everything is?

    > I did this just now, but no changes.
    > As everything was copied on a fat 32 external drive, file permissions were
    > changed, so I changed them back to owner=marc and group=marc, and let
    > krusader do this recursively for all underlying files and directories.

    After some peeking around in my backups, i found my mails back.
    Apparently I did incremental backups with rsnapshot, and just before I installed Kubuntu 8.10, I thought I did a full backup, but it turned out to be an incremental also.
    So I have to get my mails back from different backup version and put them all together in the new mail directory

    Remains the strange behavior of the contacts list.

    --
    MarcB

  5. Re: Help: Where are my mails ?

    MarcB wrote:

    > Mike Yetto wrote:
    >

    > Thanks for your reply.
    >
    > After copying the files, Kontact starts up with a messagebox that another
    > instance is already running and asks me to continue starting Kontact or
    > not.
    >
    >> Try ~/.kde/share/apps/kabc

    > Contacts are back now, but there is something strange about the display.
    > The panel that gives an overview of all contacts is blank, but when I
    > click in it, details of a contact appear in the contact details panel.
    > it is like there is white text on a white background, so they are not
    > visible. When I scroll down the contact list however I see a number of
    > contacts displayed normally. So certain contacts are normally visible and
    > others are invisible, very strange.
    >
    > Another thing happens when I want to edit a contact.
    > A popup shows with following error message:
    > The resource '/home/marc/.kde/share/apps/kabc/std.vcf' is locked by
    > application ''.
    >
    >> Did you restore .kde/share/config/kmailrc in order to tell Kmail
    >> where everything is?

    > I did this just now, but no changes.
    > As everything was copied on a fat 32 external drive, file permissions were
    > changed, so I changed them back to owner=marc and group=marc, and let
    > krusader do this recursively for all underlying files and directories.

    Invisible contacts solved also.
    I exported all contacts in a csv file and found out that for the invisible contacts the field formatted name is empty, but Family name and Given name are filled in.
    I'll have to make a formula in OO calc to fill Formatted name with Family name + Given name, and then reimport the csv in contacts again.

    Perhaps completely erasing everything and reimporting will also solve problem with the editing of contact cards ??

    Anyway, thanks for the reply, It got me thinking and searching further because I was stuck in finding solutions before.

    --
    MarcB

+ Reply to Thread