    Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks

  2. Re: USB HD Instalation and Vista

    On 2008-11-11, Anthony wrote:
    > I have an HP pavilion notebook and there is an option in the BIOS to boot
    > from a USB HD.
    > What Id like to do is install Ubuntu on the USB and boot to it with the BIOS
    > option without making any changes to the Vista boot loader on C:
    > Can this be done?
    > Can Ubuntu be installed onto the USB HD and NOT alter the Vista boot loader?
    > If so how do I do that?
    > I am new to Ubuntu and Linux and am not sure how to do it.
    > Any help is appreciated.
    > Thanks

    Should be fairly straightforward. Set your BIOS to boot from CD, then
    USB, then local disk. Insert the LiveCD and plug in the USB drive.
    Boot up and install Ubuntu.

    Since the USB will be your boot drive, it should show up as your
    primary (sda) drive. Just partition it (verifying that it is the
    right drive), and install Ubuntu normally, allowing it to write grub
    to the bootsector.

    Now, if you boot with the USB drive plugged in, it should load grub
    and boot to your USB Ubuntu drive. If the USB drive is unplugged, it
    will but to the VistaVirus.

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

  3. Re: USB HD Instalation and Vista

    "Anthony" wrote in message
    > I have an HP pavilion notebook and there is an option in the BIOS to boot
    > from a USB HD.
    > What Id like to do is install Ubuntu on the USB and boot to it with the
    > BIOS option without making any changes to the Vista boot loader on C:
    > Can this be done?
    > Can Ubuntu be installed onto the USB HD and NOT alter the Vista boot
    > loader?
    > If so how do I do that?
    > I am new to Ubuntu and Linux and am not sure how to do it.
    > Any help is appreciated.
    > Thanks

    If you use wubi to install ubuntu then it uses the vista boot loader to load
    ubuntu.

  4. Re: USB HD Instalation and Vista

    This might be a stupid question but
    What's wubi?

    Also I don't do much important work on my computer so I use it allot for
    fun.
    I just want to try Ubuntu because I'm very curious. That's all.

    > If you use wubi to install ubuntu then it uses the vista boot loader to
    > load ubuntu.

  5. Re: USB HD Instalation and Vista

    On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 12:06:52 -0800, Anthony wrote:

    > This might be a stupid question but
    > What's wubi?

    JFGI. STFW. GAFC.

    > Also I don't do much important work on my computer so I use it allot for
    > fun. I just want to try Ubuntu because I'm very curious. That's all.

    Then try it. What are you waiting for?

    Is it my imagination, or do these ignorant friggin Win-droids just keep
    getting more stupid?

  6. Re: USB HD Instalation and Vista

    ..Anthony wrote:
    > I have an HP pavilion notebook and there is an option in the BIOS to
    > .
    > What Id like to do is install Ubuntu on the USB and boot to it with the
    > BIOS option without making any changes to the Vista boot loader on C:
    > Can this be done?
    > Can Ubuntu be installed onto the USB HD and NOT alter the Vista boot
    > loader?

    I have used both options, and they are both choices yo have when you
    boot the 'live' CD. I have had no problems with 'wubi' and Xubuntu
    8.04. This has been permanent since April

    I am separately trying out a 4GB usb stick with Ubuntu 8.10. Again
    boot from the cd and under Administration you will see 'Save to a USB
    stick' (format vfat-16) and then an option 'Choose Persistent' which I
    need more time to make any comment.

  7. Re: USB HD Instalation and Vista

    "Dan C" wrote in message
    newsan.2008.11.11.20.11.05@moria.lan...

    > Is it my imagination, or do these ignorant friggin Win-droids just keep
    > getting more stupid?

    Yeah, I don't know everything. I guess you do!
    But I expect you had to learn once to.
    Or were you born knowing everything?

  8. Re: USB HD Instalation and Vista

    Ok I guess my last post was a little angry.
    I am not stupid, I just dont have any expereance with Ubuntu.
    Im sure I know alot more than you in other areas.
    And Im willing to learn as long as theres no perminent harm.
    Thats why some of us do ask stupid questions some time.
    I just want to proceed with caution into new teritory.
    I dont mind makeing mistakes and learning hands on.
    Just dont want to do damage in the process.
    I do know there is a lot of you out there that realy know your stuff.
    More than Ill ever know on this topic.
    Im not here to make enmies or piss people off.
    So please bear with me, there is a learning curve.

  9. Re: USB HD Instalation and Vista

    On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 14:36:42 -0800, Anthony wrote:

    >> Is it my imagination, or do these ignorant friggin Win-droids just keep
    >> getting more stupid?

    > Yeah, I don't know everything. I guess you do!

    Yes to both.

    > But I expect you had to learn once to.

    I had to learn once to do *what*? Finish your sentence.

    > Or were you born knowing everything?

    Yes.

  10. Re: USB HD Instalation and Vista

    On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 17:46:32 -0800, Anthony wrote:

    > Ok I guess my last post was a little angry. I am not stupid, I just dont
    > have any expereance with Ubuntu. Im sure I know alot more than you in
    > other areas. And Im willing to learn as long as theres no perminent
    > harm. Thats why some of us do ask stupid questions some time. I just
    > want to proceed with caution into new teritory. I dont mind makeing
    > mistakes and learning hands on. Just dont want to do damage in the
    > process. I do know there is a lot of you out there that realy know your
    > stuff. More than Ill ever know on this topic. Im not here to make enmies
    > or piss people off. So please bear with me, there is a learning curve.

    First, you should go back and review your 4th-grade grammar/spelling
    lessons, so you don't look ignorant when you speak in public.

    Then, you should read my post again. Your fear of making mistakes has
    nothing to do with anything. You asked a simple question: "What is
    wubi?" You couldn't be bothered to do a simple ****ing Google search, or
    perhaps look around on the Ubuntu website, to see if you could figure that
    out for yourself? If you cannot do things like that (and think that way),
    you will not get very far with Linux. That is the simple truth, and the
    best advice you can get. Now, run along and do some research on what it
    is you want to do, and then come back if necessary, and ask specific
    questions on things you don't understand.