Ubuntu on Eee? - Ubuntu

This is a discussion on Ubuntu on Eee? - Ubuntu ; For Christmas, the wife is getting one of the smaller Eee's. 7" Screen with 8G SSD and 1G RAM. The device comes with Xandros, and looks to be just what she needs. Now, I understand that there are plenty of ...

  1. Ubuntu on Eee?

    For Christmas, the wife is getting one of the smaller Eee's. 7"
    Screen with 8G SSD and 1G RAM.

    The device comes with Xandros, and looks to be just what she needs.

    Now, I understand that there are plenty of people replacing Xandros
    with other distros, in this case Ubuntu, but my question is this:
    Why?

    Is Xandros lacking something that is better served by Ubuntu, or is it
    just a case of "I did it because I can"?

    I'd like to figure this out before she gets it, so that I can prepare
    for an install of Ubuntu if it is the best option...

    Thanks, in advance...

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com

  2. Re: Ubuntu on Eee?

    On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 01:32:32 -0600, Joe wrote:

    > For Christmas, the wife is getting one of the smaller Eee's. 7" Screen
    > with 8G SSD and 1G RAM.
    >
    > The device comes with Xandros, and looks to be just what she needs.
    >
    > Now, I understand that there are plenty of people replacing Xandros with
    > other distros, in this case Ubuntu, but my question is this: Why?
    >
    > Is Xandros lacking something that is better served by Ubuntu, or is it
    > just a case of "I did it because I can"?
    >
    > I'd like to figure this out before she gets it, so that I can prepare
    > for an install of Ubuntu if it is the best option...

    I think it's probably a matter of taste more than anything else - some
    people may simply be more comfortable with another distro, perhaps one
    that they're familiar with, or maybe unhappy with the Xandros setup and
    way of doing things.

    But be aware that there may be problems getting some things to work with
    other distros, in particular wireless networking and sound.

    I'd recommend having a browse of the eeeuser wiki <http://wiki.eeeuser.com/
    >, particularly the section "Custom Eee Linux Distros"; you'll find that

    others may have sorted out some of the potential problems.

    Have a look too at the forums on for feedback
    on others' experiences.

    Cheers,

    --
    Lionel B

  3. Re: Ubuntu on Eee?

    On 2008-11-11, Lionel B wrote:

    > I think it's probably a matter of taste more than anything else - some
    > people may simply be more comfortable with another distro, perhaps one
    > that they're familiar with, or maybe unhappy with the Xandros setup and
    > way of doing things.
    >
    > But be aware that there may be problems getting some things to work with
    > other distros, in particular wireless networking and sound.
    >
    > I'd recommend having a browse of the eeeuser wiki <http://wiki.eeeuser.com/
    > particularly the section "Custom Eee Linux Distros"; you'll find that
    > others may have sorted out some of the potential problems.
    >
    > Have a look too at the forums on for feedback
    > on others' experiences.

    Yeah, I have seen all of that. That's pretty much why I was asking.
    If there is no advantage of using Ubuntu over Xandros, then it makes
    sense just to keep the default OS on it. She has never used Linux
    before, so it'll all be new to her. Besides, she's never going to do
    any fiddling, and if any needs to be done, it will always land in my
    lap... ;-)

    Thanks for the response...

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com
    time..." - Danny, American History X

  4. Re: Ubuntu on Eee?

    "Joe" wrote in message
    > For Christmas, the wife is getting one of the smaller Eee's. 7"
    > Screen with 8G SSD and 1G RAM.
    >
    > The device comes with Xandros, and looks to be just what she needs.
    >
    > Now, I understand that there are plenty of people replacing Xandros
    > with other distros, in this case Ubuntu, but my question is this:
    > Why?
    >
    > Is Xandros lacking something that is better served by Ubuntu, or is it
    > just a case of "I did it because I can"?
    >
    > I'd like to figure this out before she gets it, so that I can prepare
    > for an install of Ubuntu if it is the best option...
    >
    > Thanks, in advance...

    Unless she is an absolute geek, or used to a certain interface, there is no
    advantage or drawback to either.

    I'd throw in one suggestion... think hard about one of the 9" models. The
    screen res. goes up to 1024x600. The 7" are only 800 wide and often a whole
    webpage will not fit on the screen. We have both in the house and the 9" is
    *much* better and not much more $$$

    Ed

  5. Re: Ubuntu on Eee?

    "Joe" wrote in message
    > For Christmas, the wife is getting one of the smaller Eee's. 7"
    > Screen with 8G SSD and 1G RAM.
    >
    > The device comes with Xandros, and looks to be just what she needs.
    >
    > Now, I understand that there are plenty of people replacing Xandros
    > with other distros, in this case Ubuntu, but my question is this:
    > Why?
    >
    > Is Xandros lacking something that is better served by Ubuntu, or is it
    > just a case of "I did it because I can"?
    >
    > I'd like to figure this out before she gets it, so that I can prepare
    > for an install of Ubuntu if it is the best option...
    >
    > Thanks, in advance...

    Hi Joe,

    Short answer;
    Without knowing where your wife's experience lies somewhere between a Linux
    guru or just a normal computer user it's difficult to comment. But I
    recommend your wife gives Xandros a good try for a while and then if she
    hates it (and as you seem to know Linux inside out) you can change to
    whatever she prefers for whatever reason.

    Verbose answer:
    I have had an Eee 701 (4GB SSD) for several months now, have upgraded to 1GB
    of RAM and am really loving it.
    I won't attempt to speak for all the others out there but it does seem from
    following the forums quite closely that a lot of folk rip off Xandros as
    soon as they get the Eee out of the box and then spend a load of time
    tweaking their favourite OS to get all the functionality working again. "A
    lot of folk" means a lot of those who populate the Eee forums. I image most
    users don't do that.

    FWIW this is my take on it:
    1. I gave Xandros a good try in so-called Easy mode (IceWM) and also set it
    up in Advanced mode which uses KDE. It does what it says on the box and does
    it well. I doubt you'll find anything to boot faster and the apps load
    quickly as well. The negatives probably are that the Easy mode screen looks
    a bit like toy-town. The Asus repositories are better than they were but
    they are still woefully lacking and sometimes flaky. Many people have
    reported that BIOS upgrades have broken their (standard) system. And using a
    UnionFS any upgrades are "added" to the SSD but the previous version
    remains. So it's very easy to fill up the SSD quickly. That's why a lot of
    folk don't do any updates. On the plus side if all else fails then it is
    very easy and quick to do a complete reinstall from the supplied CD.

    2. I am very positive towards Ubuntu so tried 8.04 in the early days. It was
    a real struggle, booting was very slow and almost none of the function keys
    worked. I heard that Mandriva 2008.1 was Eee friendly so tried the gnome
    version of that and it worked OOTB, was much faster, gave me wireless
    connectivity blah blah... But still not as fast as Xandros.

    3. I kept Mandriva for a while and tried Puppy Dingo Plus which is derived
    from Puppy 4.0 but is tweaked for the Eee. With one trivial exception it
    worked OOTB. I installed this onto an 8GB SDHC card which obviously slowed
    things down a nats but it still seemed to boot much slower than I guess
    Xandros would have done on the SD card. I still use it often however as its
    very fast in use.

    4. I then noticed that there was a load of development work happening around
    Ubuntu so I tried Ubuntu-eee which was based on 8.04.1 but had the so-called
    Adams kernel which is designed to boot much faster. It was a much better
    experience and also gave me a chance to use the NetBook-Remix interface.
    Again this will be a personal opinion but I found it a better match for the
    701's small screen. Some of the function keys still don't work and I used
    eee-control-tray to improve the situation. Unfortunately although the
    developer says it works on a 701 I doubt he has one to test it on and he
    seems to be concentrating on getting the altogether different 901 working.
    Nevertheless there is a tweak for this tweak that gets the eee-control-tray
    working on a 701. Let me know if you go down this route and I'll try to
    point you in the right direction. Just don't believe any OOTB rubbish.

    5. Now that 8.10 is out I have yet to try that with the Adams kernel but so
    far have not seen anyone say they have got full functionality.
    I'll also see if Mandriva 2009 is even better.

    HTH
    Dave

  6. Re: Ubuntu on Eee?

    On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 05:46:42 -0600, Joe wrote:

    >> Have a look too at the forums on for
    >> feedback on others' experiences.

    > Yeah, I have seen all of that. That's pretty much why I was
    > asking. If there is no advantage of using Ubuntu over Xandros,
    > then it makes sense just to keep the default OS on it.

    If you read that wiki and the forum entries it refers to carefully,
    you'll see the main reason people switched away from Xandros is the
    nightmare of updates and new install problems. Even repositories are
    a sea of uncertainty. If you stick to the Xandros you're stuck
    basically with 'Etch' and an early version of KDE 3.4, trying to
    update it is hard. At least with Ubuntu you stand more chance of a
    consistent set of packages on install, and with other installs
    possible and updates straightforward.

    On the other hands it is easy to install other distros, run live-CD
    images from USB keys and so on.

    --
    Chris Game

    "It's not a good idea to look too hard at the words, they
    resent it." -- T. Pratchet, "Mort".

  7. Re: Ubuntu on Eee?

    On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 12:41:45 -0000, davesurrey wrote:

    > I would agree with Ed in suggesting you look also at the 901. IMHO
    > the extra screen size really does make web browsing much easier.

    There are some good reviews of all these models on YouTube!

    --
    Chris Game

    "The most incomprehensible thing about the world is that
    it is comprehensible." -- Albert Einstein

  8. Re: Ubuntu on Eee?

    On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 01:32:32 -0600, Joe wrote:

    > For Christmas, the wife is getting one of the smaller Eee's. 7" Screen
    > with 8G SSD and 1G RAM.
    >
    > The device comes with Xandros, and looks to be just what she needs.
    >
    > Now, I understand that there are plenty of people replacing Xandros with
    > other distros, in this case Ubuntu, but my question is this: Why?

    If she who must be obeyed is already familiar with a certain OS from
    Seattle then linuxMint might be worth a look.

  9. Re: Ubuntu on Eee?

    "Chris Game" wrote in message
    > On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 05:46:42 -0600, Joe wrote:
    >
    >>> Have a look too at the forums on for
    >>> feedback on others' experiences.

    >> Yeah, I have seen all of that. That's pretty much why I was
    >> asking. If there is no advantage of using Ubuntu over Xandros,
    >> then it makes sense just to keep the default OS on it.

    > If you read that wiki and the forum entries it refers to carefully,
    > you'll see the main reason people switched away from Xandros is the
    > nightmare of updates and new install problems. Even repositories are
    > a sea of uncertainty. If you stick to the Xandros you're stuck
    > basically with 'Etch' and an early version of KDE 3.4, trying to
    > update it is hard. At least with Ubuntu you stand more chance of a
    > consistent set of packages on install, and with other installs
    > possible and updates straightforward.
    >
    > On the other hands it is easy to install other distros, run live-CD
    > images from USB keys and so on.
    >
    > --
    > Chris Game
    >
    > "It's not a good idea to look too hard at the words, they
    > resent it." -- T. Pratchet, "Mort".

    I think something to keep in mind is the expected use. (Side note, some
    great advice on the thread so far.) It (either 7 or 9 inch version) will
    never be a substitute for a desktop, or even a decent laptop. For something
    to throw in the purse to keep shopping lists on and do on-the-go web
    browsing and email, (IMO), it's worth thinking about if it will ever need
    much upgrading. On some of the forums, people seem to approach them as if
    they are going to take the place of their desktops.

    And, like Dave said somewhere in there, the 9" is just barely bigger. They
    squeeze the larger screen in by moving the speakers. On the 7" they are on
    each side of the screen and the bezel is pretty wide. I assume this is to
    get a useable keyboard on the thing! Without the speakers there, it's easy
    enough to get the wider screen in (very) close to the same case. And that
    Atom processor is a huge step up.

    They are very cool little devices (IMO.)

    Ed

  10. Re: Ubuntu on Eee?

    On 2008-11-11, davesurrey wrote:
    > Sorry Joe,
    > Didn't see the other posts before I sent mine.
    >
    > I would agree with Ed in suggesting you look also at the 901. IMHO the extra
    > screen size really does make web browsing much easier.
    >
    > It has extra RAM, much more SSD, 20GB versus 4GB (you can soon fill up the
    > SSD) a better webcam (prob not of interest) has bluetooth (needed??) and an
    > Atom processor plus better battery which together give greater time on
    > battery.
    > And it does seem that developers are focusing more on this than the 701.

    My parents are buying it, and have already purchased the 7" with an 8G
    SSD. Like I said, it's what she wanted, as she is looking for the
    smallest possible.

    I appreciate all the info, though, especially the previous response
    about other OS'. Looks like she'll probably be quite happy with
    Xandros, as she doesn't know any better... ;-)

    For home, or when she needs to do bigger things (rare for her), she
    still has a full sized Dell laptop. And since she'll get used to
    Linux using the Eee, I may be able to finally remove Windows from my
    home... ;-)

    My older son is looking to buy an Eee, too. He'll probably want the
    bigger model. He's been saving his allowance (he's 11), and should be
    buying it sometime in the early part of next year. Who knows, maybe
    I'll experiment with Ubuntu on that one... ;-)

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com
    time..." - Danny, American History X

  11. Re: Ubuntu on Eee?

    On 2008-11-11, Derek Turner wrote:
    > On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 01:32:32 -0600, Joe wrote:
    >
    >> For Christmas, the wife is getting one of the smaller Eee's. 7" Screen
    >> with 8G SSD and 1G RAM.
    >>
    >> The device comes with Xandros, and looks to be just what she needs.
    >>
    >> Now, I understand that there are plenty of people replacing Xandros with
    >> other distros, in this case Ubuntu, but my question is this: Why?
    >>

    > If she who must be obeyed is already familiar with a certain OS from
    > Seattle then linuxMint might be worth a look.

    KDE always seemed more Windows-ey than Gnome. I use Mint for my
    machines at home, and once she gets used to some variation of Linux,
    I'll probably sneak it onto her Laptop... ;-)

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com
    time..." - Danny, American History X

  12. Re: Ubuntu on Eee?

    Joe illuminated alt.os.linux.ubuntu by typing:
    > For Christmas, the wife is getting one of the smaller Eee's. 7"
    > Screen with 8G SSD and 1G RAM.
    >
    > The device comes with Xandros, and looks to be just what she needs.
    >
    > Now, I understand that there are plenty of people replacing Xandros
    > with other distros, in this case Ubuntu, but my question is this:
    > Why?
    >
    > Is Xandros lacking something that is better served by Ubuntu, or is it
    > just a case of "I did it because I can"?
    >
    > I'd like to figure this out before she gets it, so that I can prepare
    > for an install of Ubuntu if it is the best option...
    >
    > Thanks, in advance...

    I've got only a brief experience of the EEE. However, I do happily
    posess an Acer Aspire One though.

    Linpus Lite is an extraordinarily quick OS. It boots in less than 10
    seconds and has everything required that a casual computer user would
    need. Flash, mp3, email, web serving, yadda yadda.

    However, I must confess, I was just *too* tempted. It now runs
    Intrepid, and very well may I hasten to add. A couple of issues
    surfaced such as the ath5k wireless module not being available in the
    main install, but thet was easily solvable.

    Anyway, enough of my rant.

    The answer to your question, of course, is "How much does she use her
    machine? Does she like to tinker or is it just casual browsing, mail
    etc?"

    If the answer is "Yes" to both of those, then Xandros (and Linpus Lite
    in the AA1's case) are likely to be absolutely ideal.

    If it's any use, I do recomend the Aspire one. You would get the added
    advantage of "Moog HOWTO's", should you decide to "Ubuntu it up".
    ;-)

    --
    Are you going to come quietly, or do I have to wear ear plugs. ~ Spike
    Milligan

  13. Re: Ubuntu on Eee?

    "Joe" wrote in message
    > On 2008-11-11, davesurrey wrote:
    >> Sorry Joe,
    >> Didn't see the other posts before I sent mine.
    >>
    >> I would agree with Ed in suggesting you look also at the 901. IMHO the
    >> extra
    >> screen size really does make web browsing much easier.
    >>
    >> It has extra RAM, much more SSD, 20GB versus 4GB (you can soon fill up
    >> the
    >> SSD) a better webcam (prob not of interest) has bluetooth (needed??) and
    >> an
    >> Atom processor plus better battery which together give greater time on
    >> battery.
    >> And it does seem that developers are focusing more on this than the 701.

    > My parents are buying it, and have already purchased the 7" with an 8G
    > SSD. Like I said, it's what she wanted, as she is looking for the
    > smallest possible.
    >
    > I appreciate all the info, though, especially the previous response
    > about other OS'. Looks like she'll probably be quite happy with
    > Xandros, as she doesn't know any better... ;-)
    >
    > For home, or when she needs to do bigger things (rare for her), she
    > still has a full sized Dell laptop. And since she'll get used to
    > Linux using the Eee, I may be able to finally remove Windows from my
    > home... ;-)
    >
    > My older son is looking to buy an Eee, too. He'll probably want the
    > bigger model. He's been saving his allowance (he's 11), and should be
    > buying it sometime in the early part of next year. Who knows, maybe
    > I'll experiment with Ubuntu on that one... ;-)

    Joe,
    Don't want to put a dampener on anything especially as your folk have
    already bought it but on the basis that it's always nice to know...
    I am not a great fan of the 8G 7" model. I think it's called a 702.

    The good news is that it is like the 701 but has double the memory (1GB).
    But the SSD is of the MLC type and not SLC. I guess you know SLC SSD's are
    considered better as they are faster (read/write)
    and have a greater expected life. Lifetime is probably not worth worrying
    about as they will probably outlast the other bits like screen, keyboard
    etc.
    But there have been reports that putting the OS and apps on MLC is not so
    hot.

    But...there may be good news around the corner as I think the MLC is not
    soldered in but on a PCI-e socket.
    So in the future you could always buy some hotter stuff.

    Anyway I am sure your wife will be very happy with it as these Netboooks are
    so wonderfully portable.
    Like I always say about my cameras, the best camera is the one you have with
    you and my netbook gets about a lot more than any of my laptops ever did.

    Cheers
    Dave

  14. Re: Ubuntu on Eee?

    On 2008-11-12, Moog wrote:

    > The answer to your question, of course, is "How much does she use her
    > machine? Does she like to tinker or is it just casual browsing, mail
    > etc?"

    She tinkers not at all. She is barely a computer user, let alone a
    power user or a geek... ;-)

    > If the answer is "Yes" to both of those, then Xandros (and Linpus Lite
    > in the AA1's case) are likely to be absolutely ideal.

    Kinda what I originally guessed...

    > If it's any use, I do recomend the Aspire one. You would get the added
    > advantage of "Moog HOWTO's", should you decide to "Ubuntu it up".
    > ;-)

    ;-)

    --
    Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
    joe at hits - buffalo dot com
    time..." - Danny, American History X

+ Reply to Thread